Any experiences with Amsoil 5W-30 HDD

driven2services

Administrator
Does anyone have experience with Amsoil Series 3000 5W-30 HDD CH-4 oil in a diesel? "PRODUCT DESCRIPTION AMSOIL Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil is a premium quality all fleet lubricant, specifically designed for use in commercial, industrial and fleet applications requiring diesel specifications CF, CF-2, CG-4, and CH-4 and API SH, SJ gasoline engine lubrication requirements." http://www.amsoil.com/products/hdd.html I'm not proposing it--I'll stick with Delvac 1--but Amsoil does push it for diesels. I'm just curious if anyone here has had experience with this oil in a diesel. Ken

Since I don't have a diesel, I don't have personal experience. I do, however, have quite a few customers who are using it in their diesels. They are very pleased--and oil analysis has shown it holds up very well. Just an aside--the owner of AMSOIL runs the 5W-30 HDD in his own (gas) engines!

driven2services

Administrator
D'ya mean Smilin' Al? Did you know that he also owns Oil Analyzers, Inc.? Will their analysis be completely objective? Ken

MolaKule

Staff member
I used the 5W30 HDD in three gas vehicles for winter use. Never did any analysis but never saw any problems associated with it either. I also use it in my back-up power generator for the winter. Its a 10 HP Tecumseh and you won't hear any piston slap or other internal noises with this stuff. If it had an electric starter, I'd probably have used a 10W30, but since its a pull-type (recoil) starter, I prefer the 5W30 HDD. Ken, OAI has shown to be an accurate analysis company with a penchant for having expertise in the analysis of synthetic fluids. I am changing to Terry Dyson's group, however, since I would prefer a company that has no affiliation with any oil company.