Any experience with Chinese Wix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received a Wix 33581 fuel filter from Amazon.com and was surprised to find that it was made in China. Externally, it looks fine but I have not always had good experiences with Chinese made replacement parts. Does anyone have experience with Chinese Wixes?

not suprising. its probably fine. as long as it's labelled with a brand name, there should be some quality inspection done on it. unfortunately we are seeing more foreign filters and car parts. fuel filters, tranny filters... soon to be... (gulp!) oil filters. apparently we have handed over the keys to our country and our jobs; so that a select few can benefit from higher profit margins and stock prices. oh.. sorry... you did not ask a political question.

Had a Chinese Napa (Wix) Fuel Filter on my '88 Cherokee. The case rusted and cracked in just over 2 years. Not impressed. The smell of fuel leaking in the garage was not a nice wake up call on the state of the filter. (Early Cherokees have a habit of catching on fire due to a 2 piece fuel injector that eventually fails, leaking fuel directly onto a hot exhaust manifold below. Not so much a problem after 91, and I have already replaced my injectors with Ford 19lb injectors that work perfectly. The smell of fuel always gets you nervous on this vintage though!)

Of course, I needed a replacement then and there, so guess what was in stock. Yep, another Chinese Wix. We'll see if this is any better.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Of course, I needed a replacement then and there, so guess what was in stock. Yep, another Chinese Wix. We'll see if this is any better.

Fool me once shame on you (Wix). Fool me twice shame on me (MNgopher).

Thanks for being our guinea pig, MNgopher, but I think I've already learned enough about Chinese Wix...

It wasn't really a choice to put another one on. My options were Wix or Napa, which are pretty much one and the same. The other locals didn't have the filter in stock, only carry fram (which I refuse to use), or were too far away to bike to and back and reinstall the filter before I was due to leave with the Jeep. Oh well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back