Any Experience? Vibes causing filters to spin loose.

I witnessed an odd issue where a canister hydraulic filter was coming loose on a skid steer with a jack hammer attachment. Tightened up and it would spin loose within an hour.
Does anyone else have experience with certain vibrations allowing filters to loosen?

Never experienced it myself, but I think it would generally call for a filter manufactured like the K&N with a nut on the end that you can safety wire. I'm sure there are other filters out there for a high vibration environment.

This is an interesting take on it if you can't find a filter already set up for safety wire.

35Y32EMU4GAU3P3UHWMAZ2ODTA.jpg

yep , happened on an older Thomas skid steer...about every two days the filter would come loose , finally the boss traded the thing on a new bobcat ,,never did hear if or how the problem was fixed

I have a buddy who has a 1998 Ford explorer but I work on for him and the last time I changed the oil filter I noticed that the one he had put on previously was incredibly loose. Mind you that it has nearly 300,000 miles on it and while it's still functions well all things considered, it is a little rough and shaky at times. I'm pretty confident that vibration somehow loosened the oil filter because I cannot conceive of how someone would have tightened it to the point of being as loose as it was when I took it off.

I can see with the vibrations of a skid steer causing a filter to loosen. I had that problem with Bosch workshop line of filters on my 16 scion IA they would someway find themselves to come loose. Went back to ac Delco or wix filters no problem

Back