any direct tv users here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your opinions and reviews????

My street does not have cable lines yet considering a dish.

Better pricing but keep hearing of bait and switch plans.

Weather affects signal?

Had it for 10 months. It was garbage. Every time it would rain or we had cloudy day we would lose signal. It would also lose signal on windy days. We just ended up cutting the cord and just use Netflix and Amazon Prime nowadays.

I have it. I can't really say it's any better or worse than Dish or cable. The only reason I chose DirecTV is because they are the only provider that offers the NFL Sunday Ticket...yes, weather can and has caused signal loss, but it doesn't happen often enough to make it an issue...

I've been on DirecTV since 2003. Weather can definitely cause signal loss. The original dish position that I had was being obstructed by a tree, so heavy cloud cover, rainstorms, snowstorms, and even high winds would cause signal loss. I had another installer come out, and he moved the dish to a better location, so it wasn't as sensitive to the weather.

I still get signal loss if a snowstorm comes through as the temperature drops from above to below freezing. Then the snowflakes cover the receiving head at the focus of the dish. This is very inconvenient, as I have to get out the ladder and slog through the snow, and climb on the roof so I can brush off the receiving head with a broom.

I'm thinking about going with internet TV. YouTube, ME TV, Netflix, etc have plenty of entertainment. And I wouldn't miss the news channels; they're just so depressing anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I've been on DirecTV since 2003. Weather can definitely cause signal loss. The original dish position that I had was being obstructed by a tree, so heavy cloud cover, rainstorms, snowstorms, and even high winds would cause signal loss. I had another installer come out, and he moved the dish to a better location, so it wasn't as sensitive to the weather.

I still get signal loss if a snowstorm comes through as the temperature drops from above to below freezing. Then the snowflakes cover the receiving head at the focus of the dish. This is very inconvenient, as I have to get out the ladder and slog through the snow, and climb on the roof so I can brush off the receiving head with a broom.

I'm thinking about going with internet TV. YouTube, ME TV, Netflix, etc have plenty of entertainment. And I wouldn't miss the news channels; they're just so depressing anyway.

I afraid I'm stuck with DirecTV until I can get the NFL Ticket from another provider...

I have DirectTV. For the most part its fine. I notice little in the way of weather related signal problems. But I record everything I watch so if there was some signal issues in a playback, unsure if I could remember if there were weather problems when it was recorded.

No cable, poor DSL.

I've had it since Hughes Electronics had it.

It was great when it started and for many years after that. Good picture, reasonable price.

I think the decline began with high compression video algorithims (sp?), particularly mpeg-4, allowing them to fill the allocated bandwidth with garbage.

Now, it's full of paid informercials, and other useless channels, at a high price. Every month I ask myself why I still have their service. Most of my programming comes from alternate sources these days.

If you can get a cut rate deal as a new subscriber, it's probably okay, but I no longer have much good to say about them.

Had it since around 1997. The picture quality is better than my neighbors on cable. I rarely have signal problems and as my neighbors found cable isn't 100% either. Very heavy rains/snow can affect the signal. If it's just a shower that affects it then you have an alignment issue.

If you like sports it's the way to go.

I have had directv for 12 years. Rarely goes out in a storm- and if it does- only for a few minutes. Picture quality is good. ATT just bought it- they have all kind of deals if you switch and add their cell service. I think you can even get a free 40 inch tv.

It was great having satellite tv when hurricane sandy hit, we lost phone, internet but still had power so at least we had tv for news. All my neighbors with cable were down.

I have had direct TV for many years and love it. Weather almost never hurts the signal and when it does it has to be very bad weather.

It has better programing and the menu of things on now and shows coming up is so much better than dish.

Get the protection plan for about $6 extra a month and they fix any problems for free.

I've had it for 2 years. Eh, it's alright I guess. Phoenix is always sunny so I almost never lose signal, only in bad storms.

The cable box sucks though, always freezing up and messing up my recordings. I want to swap it out but don't want to lose the stuff I have on the DVR.

I've had it for the past 15 months. I've lost signal maybe twice. Once during the Superbowl....

I'm locked into a 2-year contract. When they were bought out by At&T, they raised my monthly rate even though I was locked into a contract. I couldn't cancel unless I paid the cancelation fee.

That really [censored] me off. I filed a claim with the BBB and I was told to basically pound sand.

For that reason alone I would avoid.

Why have a contractual agreement if you can just do what you please!

Originally Posted By: dja4260
I've had it for the past 15 months. I've lost signal maybe twice. Once during the Superbowl....

I'm locked into a 2-year contract. When they were bought out by At&T, they raised my monthly rate even though I was locked into a contract. I couldn't cancel unless I paid the cancelation fee.

That really pisched me off. I filed a claim with the BBB and I was told to basically pound sand.

For that reason alone I would avoid.

Why have a contractual agreement if you can just do what you please!

I agree. I was about to switch from Dish, when I read that AT&T bought them out, I bailed. I hate AT&T. They skrewed me over twice with wireless. Never ever AT&T for me.

The further south you ae the more favorable the signal path as the look angle is almost straight up. Fewer reception problems. Even here in the frozen north I only lose signal about twice a year, and not for long. THise in marginal areas can always go for a bigger dish.

Had PrimeStar when DIRECTV took over and have no complaints
cheers3.gif

I only have antenna in the attic to get some over-the-air stations in Los Angeles. Nobody can screw me over this. Also, I watch less than 1 hour of TV a day, paying any amount for anything doesn't make sense.

I hate AT&T too, they advertised internet service a little cheaper than Cox Cable, but I stay away from them.

Last edited:
I have the Genie system from DTV. It's pretty good. I live in South Florida, thunderstorm central. Very few outages. And I can record something again if I miss it.

Plus it's wi-fi capable. So streaming on demand works well too.

I have a tiny DTV remote box in my bedroom. It's just a 1080p relay and will play anything the main box records and every channel.

I love the system! I'm not sure any cable company has better or faster equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back