Any damage from excessive retarded timing?

I did the clutch Job my old 91’ Toyota and somehow didn’t notice I had misaligned the distributor. The vehicle had a very mild vibration at idle. I chalked it up to clutch wearing in for a while. But after a thousand miles I knew something else was up. I checked the timing and saw 7 degrees ATDC. It’s been running like this for a while. There was no engine light, or smoke, soot, Etc. But is it possible some parts of the engine could have been worn down extra because of this?

Having excessively retarded timing is not as bad as over advanced timing. Performance and mileage issues I would expect from timing being very late.

well, on a late MG Midget with a primitive catalyst it will cause said catalyst to get hot enough to make the passenger uncomfortable....ask me how I know

I'm just spitballing… Unburnt fuel, diluted oil, poorly lubricated cylinder walls, damaged catalyst?

I guess all you can really do is check compression.

You'd think an engine light would illuminate from fuel mixture out of range or something. Maybe it wasn't all that bad.

I'm just spitballing… Unburnt fuel, diluted oil, poorly lubricated cylinder walls, damaged catalyst?

I guess all you can really do is check compression.

You'd think an engine light would illuminate from fuel mixture out of range or something. Maybe it wasn't all that bad.
All of those have always been my understanding as well. Not enough time to burn and the unburned gets shoved into the cats where the temp skyrockets.

Could wet foul plugs, possibly dilute oil, cat damage also possible. I would check the plugs, maybe oil spill & fill. It’s a Toyota, I doubt it hurt it any!

^yes to all^ Hopefully our era's fuel injection systems cut fuel delivery thus limiting the worst of such damage.
I figured the controller had floors...somehow.

Spark retardation is why many rejoiced, "Hurrah, our cars run on regular gas!" on the Ranger board re the 4.0l SOHC.
I see better and brighter operation with higher octane gas.
Never has some retarded timing condition been cited as troublesome. ...so there must be a floor......Inescapable logic

Back