Any comparisons of Opti-Lube and RP Max Tane

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Opti-Lube for some time now and feel it has performed as advertised but no real data to prove it except I have never had any gelling problems or fuel pump issues. Summer blend during the warm months and XPD in the winter. Since most of my lubricants are now Royal Purple I wanted to learn more about RP Max Tane. A claim of cetane increase of 8 is pretty remarkable (if true) and something I would like to investigate.
I'm a firm believer of using an additive to increase fuel lubricity and anti-gem properties, so I don't view this as snake oil as some may. Any one have experience with the RP Max Tane product?

Last edited:
Hello, First off, thank you for being a customer and I hope you and your family were safe in the recent Hurricane if you were close to it.

I noticed your post and figured I would reply.
Along with our own products, we have recently tested 25 of our competitors products on the Lubricity side.
Here is the summery of that test: http://opti-lube.com/blog/opti-lube-is-still-1-in-lubricity-for-diesel-fuel/
We have not tested RP's Product yet so I'm going to order some to send in for testing as well.

As for Cetane Increase, the Summer+ Blend you are already using increases Cetane 5-7 points using the treatment ratios listed on the bottle.
If you want more, you can simply add more of the additive. You do not really have to worry about overdosing with any of Opti-Lube's formulas unless you were to dump in like 10 times or more the dosage.
Even then you may just notice a decrease in power and fuel mileage and your just wasting additive.

With Cetane, its not always "more is better." You may have to experiment a little, as your specific engine may run better on more, or less Cetane. It's all a timing thing and you can cause pre-detonation with to much Cetane improver and that can reduce power and mileage. You want to find that happy place in the middle of not enough, and to much. It also depends on the pump fuel you are getting. It might already be high in Cetane. Most Diesel fuels are in the mid to upper 40's. Some can be higher, and most engines run best in the 50 to mid 50 range.

Originally Posted by OptiLube
Hello, First off, thank you for being a customer and I hope you and your family were safe in the recent Hurricane if you were close to it.

Thanks for the reply and we dodged the bullet on the hurricane in my area but thanks for asking.
From my numbers the Summer+ Blend is almost the same or just a little cheaper per dosage than the Royal Purple Max Tane. I never thought about increasing the ratio to increase the Cetane so that is something I can experiment with. The XPD on the other hand is a step up in price which makes sense with the advantages of anti-gelling properties.
I will be interested in any test results of RP especially in regard to lubrication and anti-gelling. RP states their product "Helps to keep fuel flowing" but doesn't provide any specifics on what "helps" means, I'm looking for a product that prohibits gelling down to a reasonable temperature and I think XPD has some specifics on you website.
My past experiences with Opti-Lube in my VW TDI and RAM Cummins have been positive so I'm not questioning any product just wanting to keep up with fuel additive options.
BTW Welcome to the forum.

I've been running the Summer blend in my 6.0 PSD and I'm definitely pleased, I put around 5k miles a month on my truck. I definitely recommend optilube to anyone who ask I can't wait to try the XDP blend for winter but that's a few more weeks away before ill need that.

I have run Opti-Lube before, always a good result in my 6.0 .
Can't speak to the RP, no personal experience. I've just never liked any of their products because they seem to be developed by someone just throwing components in a witches brew to see what happens.
MaxTane has a boatload of cetane enhancer, way too much to be a balanced formula, IMO. 70% 2EHN. I can't find that concentration anywhere else in another diesel add formula.MaxTane MSDS

Last edited:
Originally Posted by beanoil

MaxTane has a boatload of cetane enhancer, way too much to be a balanced formula, IMO. 70% 2EHN. I can't find that concentration anywhere else in another diesel add formula.MaxTane MSDS

Wow, that product would then compare more so to our Opti-Lube Boost!
http://opti-lube.com/diesel-fuel-improver/boost-diesel-fuel-additives.html

That product is not meant for Cold Flow at all. It's more for the Performance minded with built engines and a heavy right foot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OptiLube
Originally Posted by beanoil

Wow, that product would then compare more so to our Opti-Lube Boost!
http://opti-lube.com/diesel-fuel-improver/boost-diesel-fuel-additives.html

That product is not meant for Cold Flow at all. It's more for the Performance minded with built engines and a heavy right foot.

Would be nice to be able to find some Opti-Lube up here in Ontario,Canada. You need to make your products more easier for people to get a hold of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back