Any companies that make their own oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any of the engine oil brands makes their own oil start to finish or do they all buy add packs and what not from out side sources.

Split this into 4 questions:
1. Who refines/synthesizes their own base stocks?
2. Who completely makes their own additives?
3. Who buys additives in bulk from outside suppliers and blends it themselves?
4. Who just gets all the completed oil externally and plasters their spiffy name on the bottle? (i.e. PistonKing)

Last edited:
Of course its complicated, as in 2007 Infineum USA became a joint venture between both ExxonMobil Chemical and Shell.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Far fetched or fetchfar?

Haha, you go dave! This place is teeming with trolls lately, eh?

I was genuinely curious if any one manufacturer did the whole process start to finish themselves. .....

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Far fetched or fetchfar?

I was genuinely curious if any one manufacturer did the whole process start to finish themselves. .....

ram_man, Nevermind the mental nut-jobs like SteveSRT and dave1251 who often do this.

Certainly Mobil, Shell (Pennzoil, Quaker), and Castrol formulate their own oil. Possibly Chevron (Havoline) as well to a high degree. They specify what they need, then have some in-house patents to draw from, and the rest they buy from Dow, Monsanto, Noria, etc.

Its important to note there is no real market advantage in exceeding oil performance specs (SN/GF-5/dexos1/HTO-06/etc.) a particular oil is marketed for, making it easy to just take up the offers from Noria, Lubrizol, or Afton to contract out a formulation completely that qualifies for a spec you want. Thats likely what SuperTech Warren oil does, as just one example.

Originally Posted By: salv
Chevron. They refine their base oils, and they own Oronite, their additive manufacturer.

True, but they also buy Additive packs from Lubrizol.

maybe irving but you might need to buy as close to their rafinerie as possible given corp tend to trade with each other when distance is becoming problematic

ps:yep it means when you remove the marketing mumbo jumbo ? any oil should perform well if it has the sae logo mentioning sn ,or cj-4 or acea blablabla (blablabla being the respective number for a given application)so bottom line?check out oil special and check the oil manufacturing date .once those two are within your acceptance range your covered .but there might be oil maker that do from a to z their own stuff

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Far fetched or fetchfar?

I don't think that reference in any way referred to you.

Moving on, Exxon-Mobil and Shell both do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back