Any coin collectors here?

Was talking to my mom last night. She tells me I will get her big coin collection when day comes. She has like 5 huge binders. I have few silver quarters and wheat Pennie’s. Anyone here collect coins?

Was talking to my mom last night. She tells me I will get her big coin collection when day comes. She has like 5 huge binders. I have few silver quarters and wheat Pennie’s. Anyone here collect coins?
I’m not a big collector. I have a few silver dollars, a couple of silver quarters, half dollars, and dimes.
Emergency use only.

I collected coins when I was a kid, pennies and nickels mostly. I was a paper boy in those days and handled a lot of change. I couldn't afford to collect dimes and quarters.

I just looked it up and the inflated value of a dime in 1955 would be over $1 today.

I've actually had a few rareish coins. A few silver pennies from WW2. I did get a 1923 penny back in change recently. Unfortunately it's only worth a few dollars. The 1924 or 25 are worth several thousand dollars. Be looking at your quarters, and nickels. I play poker with a guy who said that several of the North Dakota quarters were struck with a 2005 2006 offset date and several were struck with 5 legged buffalo. A run of buffalo nickels were shipped with the buffalo having three legs as the planchett that stamps the money broke. I'm told they can fetch $25,000 or more.

I used to collect coins when I was a kid but I had no money. Now that I have money, I don't collect coins because I would never be able to complete a decent collection of any denomination because of how expensive it can be. Even if you obtain VG10 (low) grade coins, there are always a few oddball years and mintmarks that make finishing a collection very expensive.

I still check the dates on my coins and currency though, you never know when that 1982 no P dime can come across or some rare penny.

I inherited my dad's collection. Several binders and loose coins. Did some research and saw a coin dealer. The whole thin is worth around $200, mostly because of some old silver dollars. If you don't have rare ones or the coins aren't in fine+ condition they aren't particularly valuable, even if they are quite old.

To be serious about it you need to do a lot of research and specialize in a few coin types or years.

Old silver coins are usually referred to as junk silver if they are not in pristine condition or rare.

Morgan and Freedom dollars for me.

I worked in a coin shop in high school and college. I’m very familiar with type coins. I personally like large cents, seared and bust coins, and gold. Can help you learn more about what you’ve got.

Last edited:
I worked in a coin shop in high school and college. I’m very familiar with type coins. I personally like large cents, seared and bust coins, and gold. Can help you learn more about what you’ve got.

Beautiful collection. That's what attracts me to old coins, its the art form and style along with the history. That penny could have been exchanged by cowboys and civil war soldiers

Paul Revere's metal company supplied the mint with copper roles for the early runs of pennies. Having one of those would be amazing.

A few years ago I found a large cent amongst gravel as I was walking in a parking lot. Very brown, pitted, and heavily worn. Date was hard to read but possibly 1843, exciting find nonetheless.

Not a huge collector, I have a Complete Kennedy Halves collection. Silver coins when they were minted, same with proof clads when minted, a beautiful 1964 Proof that has perfectly toned. Even across the coin and it shines. Almost looks gold plated but it isn't, because it is still sealed in a Proof Mint Set from that year. Also have a complete collection of BU American Silver Eagles. I was lucky to get a 2021 Peace and Morgan CC silver dollar commemoratives. A few Trump silver rounds. Recently I have been a flipper of the American Women's Quarters. Made many $$$$$$ That's about it.

Back