Any Classic Oil Change Stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just thought I would chime in to say:

Before I started changing my own oil last year, I figure I had my oil changed at quickie-lube places 50-60 times, in all sorts of different cars & trucks.

In all those times, I never had a single bad experience with any of the quickie-lubes. They always did a good job for me.

When I was a kid my neighbor raised his hood on his '65 Ford Galaxy and I ran out to see what he was doing. He said that his tranny was slipping and he had determined that the ATF was low. I stopped him just as he was about to pour a quart of ATF into the engine! He explained, "It goes in the engine and then back to the transmission." I explained reality and he started thanking me over and over. He ended-up getting a lot of miles from that car.

I was changing the oil in my girlfriend's '79 Malibu V8 (now my wife of 21 years), I had it on ramps and she was helping. I was explaining in great detail how to remove the oil filter as I unspun it. Just as I was getting to the part about it being full of oil so you have to be careful not to spill it, it came off before I was ready, it spilled HOT oil on the sides, I lost control of it and it went rolling off under the car with oil spilling all over! Fortunately, I had newspaper covering most of the affected area, but this was indeed embarassing. Fortunately, she didn't laugh at the time, but it makes a good story now!

After having changed oil in various cars of mine for at least 15 years, I thought I had it figured out - I was Mr. Efficiency. One time I started thinking about something else as I was finishing-up and accidently stepped into the oil collection pan with my tennis shoe! I had moved it out from under the car, there was plently of room around it, and I stepped right in the center of it! Fortunately, I was wearing old socks and shoes, so the loss was minimal. I wish I had a video of myself doing that.

Back in the 70's, dad had a '73 Catalina. Took it to service station (this was back in the day before Iffy Lube), mechanic 1 drains oil, changes filter, goes to lunch. Mechanic 2 says okay, you're ready to go. Fortunately home was only a couple blocks to drive with no oil. The car seemed to suffer no ill effects, but was nearly totalled later in a flood anyway.

Absolutely true:
In the 80's, my mom had a car that leaked oil a little bit. She takes it to the service station (same one as above), mechanic asks "Where is it leaking?" Mom says "Everywhere I park it."
pat.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Rev440:
I turned the key off and holding in my hand staring at the key the engine still doing several thousand rpms.

offtopic.gif
I remember this happeneing to my dad in an early 80's VW Rabbit diesel, except he was driving down the road. I guess the engine oil some how worked it's through the PCV system and into the air intake. Imagine your car taking off with more power than it has ever had before - you can't even stop it by turning the key off
shocked.gif

After this happened to him a few times, he devised a new PCV system to prevent this from happening - no internet back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back