Any Chevy Aveo - the suicide car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short, car is in the shop overnight so the car store rented me a Chevy Aveo. I have never felt ever that I was going to die in a car, but after driving 9 miles in this POS on city streets with slush and packed snow, I have looked over the brink and seen my life flash before my eyes. I know it's a light car, but other small cars I've had before ('78 Renault R5, '80 Accord, '83 Accord, '85 Cavalier) have NEVER scared me this much. It has NO traction, even with decent looking tires, and horrible directional stability. Camaro's with performance summer rubber were beating me off the line at stoplights. This thing may be marginal in the dry, but it is NOT drivable in the winter.

I'm not paying for the rental, but I have surely lost a lot of weight, the old-fashioned way, the way wrestlers drop weight. Chevy should just market this thing as an alternative to Ex-Lax. My washing machine will be getting a workout soon. Maybe I should just throw my shorts away.

A family member had a similar experience with an Elantra a year or so ago in Texas. Turned the car back in after 1 day and demanded another car because the Elantra felt so dangerous.

I hate the hatchback version both in appearance and visibility.You cannot look over your shoulder and see anything.They sit bad,the dash is full of lights,with automatic they are gutless....the only redeeming quality is that the sedan looks a little more "conventional".They dont get the gas mileage they should for such a tiny car either.The "new" Sonic isnt much of an improvement either.And if you think thats bad,the smaller "Spark" has to be a total loser.If I had the option to rent a 2011 Aveo or 1985 Dodge Omni,I would take the Omni anyday.

Hard to make up for the short wheelbase and having the cabin on top of the front axle like that. You see the rear wheels stretching as far rearward as they can possibly make it.

I'd rather have a 1990 corolla, sentra, etc. Same weight and frontal area (MPG) but better packaging.

If you saw Top Gear when they pitted a VW pickup against a Dodge Aries and a Honda CRX,the CRX faired extremely badly.In a staged rear collision the whole back of the car caved in.Talk about scary.I remember right after the CRX first came out,a visiting family to a campground (I think they came from NY)had their son "steal" their CRX (must have been towed behind a motorhome) at 11pm.He took a corner wide at 60+ mph and ran head on into a brick walled building.The CRX folded like a crushed piece of tinfoil.No need to mention he died instantly.The wall wasnt damaged either.

i'm sure all those aveo owners who were told to replace their timing belts at 90k but they regularly broke at 60k feel similar too. given the chance i will still snap one up cheap if it comes along.

Last edited:
Any car is going to be bad in the snow with summer tires. Any car is going to be good in the snow with winter tires.

If I could find one for $2k or $3k with a 5 speed, I'd consider it for a commuter / beater.

Enterprise stuffed me into a Neon once, because it was all that they had. I was *not* happy. I even waited a half an hour, to see if *anything* else would come back in. After nothing showed up, I left in it.

After about two miles, I headed for their other location on the other side of town, to see if they had anything bigger on the lot. I was not driving to Chicago in that Neon.

At the other locaiton, I ended up with a brand new Monte Carlo with 18 miles on the odometer, that still had the plastic on the seats.

:^)

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
That's how a CRX feels driving on the highway beside 18 wheelers. It's pretty much a soda can on wheels.

HEY ! At least CRX's look cool. I'd buy another one of those! AND it's a Honda.
laugh.gif

Now, this Chevy Aveo.. Piece of [censored].

It can't come as much of a surprise, it's one of the worst cars ever. As Jeremy Clarkson said: "The only reason you would buy one of these is if you'd never driven anything else."

A few years ago I rented an Aveo for a 70-mile to trip to Boston and I remember thinking that it had to be the lowest car in the food chain. "Basic transportation" is being generous. I will never rent anything smaller than Standard or Full-size again.

Last edited:
we have a aveo for a work car, it is pretty hairy to drive at highway speeds, and i can imagine it wont go at all in the snow. on a rainy day with wet roads it will spin the front tires constantly on take off. if you get in one of those nice slick black parking lots you can burn the tires as long as you want. its a peppy little death trap.

I love when people get a rental that is a class below their car, and feel the need to tear it apart. I can hear the guy driving the S-Class complaining about the tin can "POS" Avalon rental he is driving.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I love when people get a rental that is a class below their car, and feel the need to tear it apart. I can hear the guy driving the S-Class complaining about the tin can "POS" Avalon rental he is driving.

Happily the Aveo is probably a class below anyones vehicle on here
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Azeem
Rebadged Daewoo Lanos.

I'm pretty sure it was called a Daewoo Matiz
wink.gif

I find them a ton of fun to drive, but not in the US of A

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back