Any chance at Warren 0w30?

2020 Silverado 5.3 and 6.2 engines. 0W20

Siverado 0w20.JPG
Siverado 0w20.JPG

If your vehicle is “loving” the 5w30 then why change? You won’t know the difference and neither will your engine.
I was thinking 5w30 in the summer and 0w30 in the winter. Yes I know a 5W can work well down to very cold temps, it's just an OCD thing maybe.

I was thinking 5w30 in the summer and 0w30 in the winter. Yes I know a 5W can work well down to very cold temps, it's just an OCD thing maybe.

I believe there is about a 5 degree difference between the two. It depends on the brand.

Once you get that cold anyway it is prudent to take other measures and don’t depend on the oil alone.

Honestly 0w20 ST and 5w30 ST would be good enough for 2 cars calling for Xw20 weights
Agree or same thing with Costco Kirkland. If you change twice a year, tailor the blend to the temps. IE if you have a 5 quart sump, in winter use 3 qt 0w20 and 2 qt 5W30. Then vice versa in summer.

Yes, though you are safe to use a 0w-20 in it. I recall a few years back Mobil indicating that their AFE 0w-20/0w-30 were suitable for use anywhere a 5w-20/5w-30 was called for.
Yeah, I know, I was just pointing out that RAM doesn't specifically recommend/require 0W-20 and it's not mentioned in the manual.

You really never know what the independents may roll out. I'd doubt Walmart or Costco order a 0w30, but perhaps Warren Distribution would market some under the Mag1 brand. I was surprised to hear Walmart started offering Supertech motorcycle oil though, so who knows what may be in the pipeline.

Knowing that the Noack of the AFE 0w30 is 8.7%, I'd consider using it. The downside is the potential viscosity loss due to the VII's.

Reactions: 4WD
As far as supertech branded oils, they seem to only be produced in the primary recommended grade of most lower cost vehicles out there. Not the alternative viscosity recommendation.

the 5w30 warren specials are cheap bare minimum oils. a 0w30 wouldn’t be able to use bottom of the barrel base and consequently less profitable. the 0w20s are actually good for some odd reason

Where can I find these noack figures? Mobil's website doesn't seem to have them. Thank you.

Back