Any Carpenters/Roofers Out There?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some trim Q's before reshingling my house.

The rakes & fascias are either 4/4 or 5/4 rough cedar. The ply deck is 1/2" with a 5/12 pitch. The builder used a cedar 1x2 to cover the ply edge and no rake flashing.

1.5" drip with a 1/8" "kick" will nearly cover the face of the 1x2. So I either need a 1" drip (with a kick) or go to a 1x4. Or I could eliminate the 1x, since I'll be using flashing.

Also have some water damage (due to no flashing) where the rake & fascia boards are mitered. The joint is 90deg to the decking, not a plumb cut. Poking around with an ice pick shows the damage extends about 4" in each direction. I've cut one out and replaced it with new wood, but wondered if this would be a good place for epoxy or fiberglass?

Any suggestions?

I know a bit about roofing, and I had a hard time following your post. I'm not sure what 4/4 or 4/5 rough cedar is. I also can't picture the 1x2 covering the ply edge, don't know what a "kick" is, or how it fits in the picture. I'm also stuggling to picture how the rake and fascia boards fit together. In general, your post is hard to follow, especially without pictures.

There's a web site called roofing.com, which is very active and has a lot of knowledgeable folk that can help you.

Kestas,

Finished lumber is listed in nominal thickness...a 2 x 4 will be 1.75 inches thick.

Rough sawn (not planed) lumber is referred to in it's actual thickness in quarter inches.

4/4 means four quarter (inches) or a true 1 inch thick.
5/4 means five quarter (inches) or 1.25 inches thick.

Walk around a sawmill and you will hear guys saying "four quarter" boards.

I guess his question was for REAL roofers, not "jacks of all trades, master of none"!!!!!

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

I guess his question was for REAL roofers, not "jacks of all trades, master of none"!!!!!

OUCH!! What did Kestas do to deserve that? It looked to me like he was just trying to help.

Be careful, I have heard of members getting a 30 day vacation for much less than this
31.gif

Originally Posted By: sleddriver

Any suggestions?

A couple pictures. Like Kestas, I'm not following what you're trying to accomplish, and I know a fair bit about carpentry. Your description, while making sense to you, clearly falls short for the rest of us.

Originally Posted By: hate2work
Originally Posted By: doitmyself

OUCH!! What did Kestas do to deserve that? It looked to me like he was just trying to help.

Be careful, I have heard of members getting a 30 day vacation for much less than this
31.gif

OH MY!!!!!!!! Big goof on my part! Some how I left off a sentence saying that I,too, couldn't follow the OP's explanation.

Thus, the sentence you quote was tongue in cheek to include myself and any other of us non-professional, weekend warrior, fixer uppers of all things around the house.

I do lots of trades work around the home. The last time a professional "critcized" my work, saying it looked too good to be done by a pro because it was too neat. "Jacks of all trades, master of none" is a tribute to us that can figure out how to do lots of things, but not become an true expert. I.E., me being able to run a bulldozer or backhoe doesn't equate to being a heavy equipment operator.

Again, my intention was to poke fun that WE couldn't figure out the OP's problem. I'm about the last person to ever intentionally insult someone and my apologies to Kestas and hate2work for how that came out.

Well, it would take awhile to explain this. No offense. Pics would help. I've talked it over with an architect since my OP and he's answered my Q's.

Good roofing refs (both from Tauton Press):
1. Roofing with Asphalt Shingles by Mike Guertin
2. Roofing: Flashing & Waterproofing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back