Any BITOG members fans of Thai food?

I hear that Bangkok airport is actually pretty nice. Beats a lot of the US airports. Is that your impression?
Yes, it is nice. But also not gaudy over the top.

The airport does a lot of biometric security of passengers arriving and departing Thailand, so the wait can be long as nearly every arriving and departing international flight is a widebody and their is a dupa in every seat. My job allows me to "fasttrack" in and out of the airport, but if I was a tourist I would allow plenty of time to get through security. If one misses a international flight anywhere in the world to/from the USA, it could be days to get another seat.

There is more risk to missing a flight now than just trying to get a seat on a later flight. I fly from Bangkok to Tokyo to Los Angeles to Seattle today. If I miss the connection in Tokyo (I have less than 60 minute connection time), I will have to spend the night in Tokyo. But Japan will not let me enter Japan because of the current health stuff going on. So I would be limited to staying in the transit area of the NRT airport if I miss my connection. None of that sounds any fun. My transit from Hong Kong to Bangkok had about 40 pax (guess)
PXL_20220806_235032504.jpg
PXL_20220806_235037293.jpg
PXL_20220806_235043913.jpg
miss the connection because we arrived late into HKG. Not sure what happened to those PAX that had the "door closed" before they made it to the gate, but I suspect it may have been ugly.

Here are a few hasty pictures from the JAL Sakura lounge at BKK.

And as always- I can't wait to return to CONUS. The USA is a flawed and imperfect country, and still the greatest country in the world, where anyone can achieve anything they want by the actions they take. No other country offers that opportunity.

I would try those.

In Manila they recommend that you arrive at the airport five hours prior to departure. I’ve been there where it has taken over 3 hours to get airside. So many security checks including the one just to get into the airport. On a hot Philippines day it’s miserable.

• Wow
Reactions: GON
Nothing beats Euro type sausages.
My Thai wife is 1/4 German. She cooks Thai dishes with Euro sausage, salami's, and such. She got the German height and figure genes, but no German cooking skills besides sausage tastes good. :ROFLMAO:

When I worked over there I had rice porridge with pork and a soft boiled egg on top every morning.

My Thai wife is 1/4 German. She cooks Thai dishes with Euro sausage, salami's, and such. She got the German height and figure genes, but no German cooking skills besides sausage tastes good. :ROFLMAO:

When I worked over there I had rice porridge with pork and a soft boiled egg on top every morning.
Pictures of wife not loading!!

I can envision some fried rice with egg and German sausages for breakfast along with ripe mango.

Mine would be pad kee mao, or "drunken noodles". I'm flexible when it comes to protein. We have a place nearby that has lard, but we haven't tried that on the menu.
Drunken Noodle and Beef Kaprow are my number 1s. But don't tell Reptoid Alien, I tell her she's Number 1 Girl.

I’m surprised you didn’t get a SEA-NRT-BKK routing. Must be the company contract?
I am in NRT right now. Very flew flights CONUS to OCONUS. There were no seats available on the NRT SEA nonstop. I think next time if I can't get a non-stop I will go SEA YVR and then NRT or HKG and then BKK.

Flight availability is so tight..... guys I was working with in Bangkok and are returning to Honolulu are having to fly BKK to ICN to SFO or LAX and then to HNL. Flights are that tight . Zero empty seats on these international flights, and one does not want to miss a connecting flight under any circumstance.

Last edited:
I am in NRT right now. Very flew flights CONUS to OCONUS. There were no seats available on the NRT SEA nonstop. I think next time if I can't get a non-stop I will go SEA YVR and then NRT or HKG and then BKK.

Flight availability is so tight..... guys I was working with in Bangkok and are returning to Honolulu are having to fly BKK to ICN to SFO or LAX and then to HNL. Flights are that tight . Zero empty seats on these international flights, and one does not want to miss a connecting flight under any circumstance.

I didn’t realize seats were that tight.

Our usual route down that way is SEA-NRT-MNL on All Nippon Airways. When we layover in Narita we notice all the heavy departures for SE Asia plus Australia and India as well. It’s a busy departure time and the wait on the taxiway is lengthy but so it is.

Departure from Seattle is around 1000. We get into Manila about 2200

Mine would be pad kee mao, or "drunken noodles". I'm flexible when it comes to protein. We have a place nearby that has lard, but we haven't tried that on the menu.

That should have read "larb" (darn you to heck autocorrect), which is a meat salad that originated in Laos but which has its own style in northern Thailand.

Back