Any BITOG members fans of Thai food?

I don't know much about Thai food, but last night I was invited to dinner and this what was served. All very nice, but I have to say some of it was SPICY HOT. Just a tiny sample of some on my pinky finger tip sent my mouth on fire.

The fish was called sea bass. I don't think it is the same as sea bass we eat in the USA.

View attachment 110913View attachment 110914View attachment 110915View attachment 110916View attachment 110917View attachment 110918
That looks a lot better than the usual fare at Thai restaurants.

I like the American "Thai" food they serve in the US, I like the "Thai Tourist" food they serve in Thailand (according to my tour guide it was too sour and not spicy enough), but the real Thai food sold to the local there was too spicy for me, sorry I couldn't handle that.

Reactions: GON
Wife is Thai and can't cook American style foods. It was great in Thailand, it gets old at home when you just want pork chops or meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy.

I don't know much about Thai food, but last night I was invited to dinner and this what was served. All very nice, but I have to say some of it was SPICY HOT. Just a tiny sample of some on my pinky finger tip sent my mouth on fire.

The fish was called sea bass. I don't think it is the same as sea bass we eat in the USA.

View attachment 110913View attachment 110914View attachment 110915View attachment 110916View attachment 110917View attachment 110918

Yep that’s a sea bass. The Australians call it Barramundi. Nice fish to eat.

Maybe he was expecting a Chilean sea bass which isn't even a bass but a toothfish. I love Thai fried pompano.
Yes, a Chilean sea bass is what I have ate in the past. My late Dad's two favorite fish were red snapper and Chilean sea bass.

Yes, a Chilean sea bass is what I have ate in the past. My late Dad's two favorite fish were red snapper and Chilean sea bass.
Although different species, they taste similar. The Chilean sea bass is more expensive. It's one ugly-looking fish with the head on.

Although different species, they taste similar. The Chilean sea bass is more expensive. It's one ugly-looking fish with the head on.
Which fish has no head-on? (just kidding)

For the people who know, the cheek is the best part of the entire fish. Next time order one with the head and try it.

Which fish has no head-on? (just kidding)

For the people who know, the cheek is the best part of the entire fish. Next time order one with the head and try it.
I prefer my food cleanly decapitated. I don't need eyes starring and a mouth gaping at me while I'm eating. 👀

Real fresh Thai food is great. I was introduced in the 1980's in Orange County. The first place was simply called "Spicy Thai" in Orange. The other was "Charlie's Hideaway" yes spicy, but so tasty and fresh. Really really good.

Unfortunately it's been downhill since as it got diluted and Americanized. I would never ever randomly walk into a Thai restaurant in the USA.

Frankly there is so much **** Thai food in WA state I don't waste my time. In total truth, THE WORST two meals ever were in Thai restaurants. Not even sure what some of the vomit was on the plate. Weird and disgusting. One was a place in Duvall. At best a couple plant stems were recognizable. Pretty sure there were some pieces of inedible rubber bands in the curry. The other is here in Bellingham.

Gon - what place was that and where?

I really enjoy decent Thai food in the U.S., but haven't found a place yet that could compare to getting it in Thailand. The dishes using the fresh herbs and spices there are, IMO, without compare.
I second the difference between American hot and Thai hot, although there seems to be fewer and fewer Thais that prefer Thai hot. It is a source of pride for them, but in private many would forgo the honor if given the opportunity.

Real fresh Thai food is great. I was introduced in the 1980's in Orange County. The first place was simply called "Spicy Thai" in Orange. The other was "Charlie's Hideaway" yes spicy, but so tasty and fresh. Really really good.

Unfortunately it's been downhill since as it got diluted and Americanized. I would never ever randomly walk into a Thai restaurant in the USA.

Frankly there is so much **** Thai food in WA state I don't waste my time. In total truth, THE WORST two meals ever were in Thai restaurants. Not even sure what some of the vomit was on the plate. Weird and disgusting. One was a place in Duvall. At best a couple plant stems were recognizable. Pretty sure there were some pieces of inedible rubber bands in the curry. The other is here in Bellingham.

Gon - what place was that and where?

Not around here, he is in Thailand. Looks like a hotel or nice restaurant because of the presentation.

Pablo,

Third floor restaurant at the Athenee Hotel, downtown Bangkok.

Later today I will post a new food thread with the "caprese salad theory" on how to quickly judge a Italian restaurant.

My experience with Italian food in Asia has been lackluster. Sliced hot dogs in spaghetti.

Thing is "sandwiches" in China are just interesting.

A lot of food gets lost in the translation as local tastes change everything.

In the Philippines spaghetti is very popular but they like it sweet and not tangy. So, to counteract the tangy tomato sauce they add condensed milk. Ugh.

I had Korean food in Dongguan. Not bad, but so different.

Next day we had jiaozi.....at a famed place........the potstickers and bao were all great. BUT the ceiling tiles all caved in one corner of the restaurant. Like a slapstick movie or youtube clip. We ate up and left.

When in Rome.

I had Korean food in Dongguan. Not bad, but so different.

Next day we had jiaozi.....at a famed place........the potstickers and bao were all great. BUT the ceiling tiles all caved in one corner of the restaurant. Like a slapstick movie or youtube clip. We ate up and left.

When in Rome.

And in Rome when you order spaghetti don’t expect a ton of sauce and meat. The pasta is the dish.

Back