Any bird watchers got bird houses for your friends?

I love feeding and watching them. I also decided to house some as well. A man I know built me a cool birdhouse and I bought 3 Gourd houses.
What ya got?

Attachments

• IMG_20220625_185151.jpg
    IMG_20220625_185151.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20220625_185048.jpg
    IMG_20220625_185048.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20220625_185030.jpg
    IMG_20220625_185030.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220625_185023.jpg
    IMG_20220625_185023.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 15
Just a ceramic house in the shape of a rounded yellow finch. Have a Carolina Wren in it now feeding her noisy young.

I've had a old wren house in the same location for decades. It's getting in pretty bad shape but is always occupied.

They are my backyard greeters and keep the cats on their toes.

I have bird houses and a bee box. I feed hot pepper coated seeds and suet year around. Also use corn cobs in holders for squirrels. Fall and spring hummingbird feeders go up. I sit out on the back patio and watch. As my daughter says, you do what old people do. :)

I have bird houses and a bee box. I feed hot pepper coated seeds and suet year around. Also use corn cobs in holders for squirrels. Fall and spring hummingbird feeders go up. I sit out on the back patio and watch. As my daughter says, you do what old people do. :)
Tell me more about the bee box

Reactions: Bud
Some things to consider. Make sure the hole is sized for the bird you are trying to house and more than likely no perch. Important for wrens.

I got a Blue bird house that was vacant for only a day after I put it up this spring. So cool watching them. They eat the bad insects. I wanted to get a group of Purple Marlin houses but learned that they eat just about everything, including dragonflies and decided not to. Dragonflies eat mosquitoes. and other pests and I want them around as much as possible.

I also have a bat house, but can't tell if there are any in it. It has been up a year now and at the right height and pointing the correct location from what I read.

We do have a crazy male cardinal that if we forget to fold our review mirrors in, will sit there on the side of the vehicle all day long bouncing off the mirror, thinking it is another male invading his territory. I thought it would stop after a while but he has been at it if we for get for over a year now. All year long as well. I think he is not quite right in the head.

Have 3 Blue Bird Houses with 2 currently occupied. Generally get 3 broods/year out of one and it is on its 3rd one now. The second
house has its first brood of 4 babies as I type.

I feed live meal worms the year round which keeps them producing more eggs/babies. I have these special meal worm feeders that
"only" blue birds can enter.

My grandfather built this one - we haven't found a place to put it at the new house yet. I'm a bit hesitant to expose it to the elements since he passed last year, but I suppose that's what it's for.

20220627_155439.jpg

Back