Any benefit with synthetic with 05 Elantra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would I gain any benefit whatsoever if I switch to Mobil 1 for
my 2005 Hyundai Elantra with 21000 miles that already runs
butterly smooth on Castrol GTX 5W-30??
I plan on owning this car til 165,000 miles. Im a very conservative driver in the suburbs of central nj..not quite
city and not highawy, sort of inbetween.

I faithly do 4,000 miles OCI. At 5000 miles, I added Motor
Silk engine treatment to oil and the car runs and sounds
so smooth on acceleration all the time.
tombstone.gif

I probably wouldnt trust any treatments.. as most are [censored].
I would say no advantage at 4000 oci's if you wanted longer intervals I like syn because of piece of mind..

For example I change my own oil. Normally do 6month oci or 7000mi. if my oci falls in december and its -5 and [censored] out I feel perfectly fine letting it go another month or even 2 if necessary.

wow I didnt realize that word was censored...
anyone point me at the edit button?

Quote:

Would I gain any benefit whatsoever if I switch to Mobil 1 for
my 2005 Hyundai Elantra with 21000 miles that already runs
butterly smooth on Castrol GTX 5W-30??
I plan on owning this car til 165,000 miles. Im a very conservative driver in the suburbs of central nj..not quite
city and not highawy, sort of inbetween.

I faithly do 4,000 miles OCI. At 5000 miles, I added Motor
Silk engine treatment to oil and the car runs and sounds
so smooth on acceleration all the time.
tombstone.gif

Nope, your GTX @ 4k miles is a great oil and you'll see NO difference in anything (except cost of oil) using Mobil 1 over your GTX.

I've been running GTX 5w-30 in my 2005 Corolla and I have to say that over a 5k oci, it's doing real well as far as noise, color and MPG.

The best UOA I've received has been with Pennzoil conventional but I am going to do a UOA soon with the GTX soon since the motor has quite a few more miles since my last GTX UOA.

I plan on 300k on my Toyota (I just passed 60k in 2 years) and will have no problem getting there with ANY good SL/SM oil!
cheers.gif

You'll have no problem making it to 165k.. (unless some idiot hits the car... (my biggest worry..))

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

Bag the motor silk, and the Dino is fine, Flint. I have an 05 AccentGT and can tell no difference between the syn I've run and the dino. 5K OCI is adequate for dino, and fits into the middle of OCI demands in 05 Hyundais. Mine is a pain to get to the filter, so I'm running, with rare exceptions, syn out to 7500.

If you want additive, I'd suggest 5W20 SM Havoline. Motorsilk isn't why the engine is smooth, it's the motor itself.

Enjoy!
cheers.gif

not to hijack but where is the filter on the 05, my friends 01 is reallly easy.

On the 05 AccentGT it's above and forward of the splash guard at a 45 degree angle. Easy if you take the splash guard off but a real clean-up hassle if you don't. Difficult to get to, AND, the Accent is so low to the ground with the pan positioned perfectly between the front wheels you HAVE to jack the thing up a half-foot or so. After warranty, it's Amsoil and 15K OCI for me..

This is not a vehicle for "entertainment rainy day" OCI.

As for the 05 Elantra, I dunno. My 92 Elantra was a 10 minute affair tops..

I'd only go to syn if you want to extend your OCI. If you do a lot of highway driving and rack up the miles, you may see a small payoff in fuel economy in addition.

But Castrol GTX, or any other SM-rated top shelf mineral oil will easily go for 4 or 5Ks...

Ah on my friends 01
its at the edge of the plastic shield
parallel with the ground end of filter pointing towards
the rear of car. Its very easy to put a endcap wrench on it
only pain is the oil might drip on the plastic guard.

The only car easier to change(that I have personally done)
is 07 focus.. Filter vertical off front of engine.
nothing in the way.

Quote:

On the 05 AccentGT it's above and forward of the splash guard at a 45 degree angle. Easy if you take the splash guard off but a real clean-up hassle if you don't. Difficult to get to, AND, the Accent is so low to the ground with the pan positioned perfectly between the front wheels you HAVE to jack the thing up a half-foot or so. After warranty, it's Amsoil and 15K OCI for me..

This is not a vehicle for "entertainment rainy day" OCI.

As for the 05 Elantra, I dunno. My 92 Elantra was a 10 minute affair tops..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back