Any benefit to platinum plugs in a 3.7 ram?

I have read the 3.7 is hard on the oem copper plugs. I am wondering what you guys think about that. Should I switch to an ngk platinum plug or should I just stick with oem coppers? It is an 06 ram coil over plug engine.

How difficult is the job? :unsure:

If it's easy, use NGK G-Power, a low-cost single platinum plug that should be good to 60k.

If it's difficult, then you definitely need iridium or possibly even ruthenium, so you won't have to do them again for a long time!

OEM seems to be NGK V-Power, which has a short lifespan due to the nickel/copper electrode and the V-cut. This is old technology to get a fine electrode, from before finewire platinum and iridium plugs existed. While you can still use the V-Power, upgrading to the G-Power is usually a good idea.

If you want to stick with copper, consider the Denso U-Groove. The difference between Denso's U-Groove and NGK's V-Power is that Denso cuts the groove in the ground rather than the center electrode like NGK. This could make the Denso last longer if the ground doesn't wear as much as the center.

Last edited:
NGK G-Power, a low-cost single platinum plug that should be good to 60k
+1 on that. Have used them several times and never a disappointment. The Denso Platinum TT is a worthy substitute for the NGK.

denso.jpg

Last edited:
Chrysler vehicles don’t typically like plugs other than what was o.e. We repaired many misfiring Chryslers and Jeeps that had the double, quadruple, fancy pants spark plugs by replacing with copper or whatever was supposed to be in the engine.

Copper. Champion copper. I don't know why, I don't know how, but Mopar figured out long ago how to get the maximum performance from the CHEAPEST spark plug around. If it were any other application, I'd recommend upgrading. When it comes to Mopar: if it came with copper, replace with copper. Going one step further, gap the plugs juuuust a bit wide. I don't know the spec for a 3.7, but I'm assuming it's in the .053-.057" range. Shoot for the high end.

I'd like you to take one for the team and try a set of Champion Double Platinums.
While not a fan of Champion - I've installed a few sets of those Champion Double Plats called platinum power on the box. They were fine, looked good out of the box and the cars used in (a few 3.6 GM's and a 350TPI) seem to be doing just fine. I grabbed them for the low price on rockauto and I was curious to try them. They are priced the same as an Autolite.

OEM copper plugs are old man stuff. Step into the 21st century.
while I have the same inclination, some times the “young kids” don’t idle well on new tech.

i was laughing at @skyactiv ’s post above, recalling how we all tried Bosch multi-electrode plugs over the years in different cars, and time and time again finding vehicles which didn’t run well with them. Yet, the cars that came with them oem did just fine. ..

I always use iridium or double iridium because the small extra cost is worth it to be to get probably double the service life and not waste my time or have a misfire at a bad time.

I have read the 3.7 is hard on the oem copper plugs. I am wondering what you guys think about that. Should I switch to an ngk platinum plug or should I just stick with oem coppers? It is an 06 ram coil over plug engine.
FWIW I use E3 diamond fire plugs in our 2005 Jeep GC with the 3.7L. My other son has them in his 2009 as well. They seem to work well. I just replaced the 2005 plugs before our son moved out this week. They have 60k on them and probably were ok but he’s 8 hours away so I didn’t want to take a chance for $35!

Just my $0.02

Chrysler vehicles don’t typically like plugs other than what was o.e. We repaired many misfiring Chryslers and Jeeps that had the double, quadruple, fancy pants spark plugs by replacing with copper or whatever was supposed to be in the engine.
We have a KJ with the 3.7. I’ve always used NGK coppers, and they work well. I’ve heard that these engines don’t run as well on platinum or iridium plugs.

while I have the same inclination, some times the “young kids” don’t idle well on new tech.

i was laughing at @skyactiv ’s post above, recalling how we all tried Bosch multi-electrode plugs over the years in different cars, and time and time again finding vehicles which didn’t run well with them. Yet, the cars that came with them oem did just fine. ..
Yes ! I had an 84 Toyota P/U and installed the Bosch plugs at the first tune up and lost a few mpgs. During that time I attended the Auto program to keep up with the new tech on the cars for work at the Junior college auto tech program and a Toyota tech was in my class., The first thing he asked was did you put Bosch platinum plugs in it? He then said many people put the plugs in their vehicles and experienced the same problems.

I agree Chrysler -- at least on their trucks -- was a holdout on things like copper plugs and speed density. They seem to make it work well, so I can't criticize.

I service a '12 Ram 5.7 and just use copper because it runs well. Granted, I haven't tried anything else but I've seen enough reports to just stay with copper that I'm not inclined to experiment. If I had the TIME I might play around with other plugs....although given the cost of iridium today it's kind of a spendy gamble

How difficult is the job? :unsure:

If it's easy, use NGK G-Power, a low-cost single platinum plug that should be good to 60k.

If it's difficult, then you definitely need iridium or possibly even ruthenium, so you won't have to do them again for a long time!

OEM seems to be NGK V-Power, which has a short lifespan due to the nickel/copper electrode and the V-cut. This is old technology to get a fine electrode, from before finewire platinum and iridium plugs existed. While you can still use the V-Power, upgrading to the G-Power is usually a good idea.

If you want to stick with copper, consider the Denso U-Groove. The difference between Denso's U-Groove and NGK's V-Power is that Denso cuts the groove in the ground rather than the center electrode like NGK. This could make the Denso last longer if the ground doesn't wear as much as the center.

NGK V-Power uses a traditional nickel alloy center electrode. I remember back when I was getting plugs for a 1989 Integra, the factory specified plugs included NGK (both V-Power and regular electrode) as well as ND with the U-groove.

Of course, the premise of this topic is all wrong. There is no "copper plug" in comparison to platinum plugs. It's some sort of platinum electrode, but it's still most likely a similar copper core (which helps with heat transfer) with a resistor to help with radio interference. Traditional plugs will use some sort of nickel alloy center electrode. And it really gets annoying that some spark plug companies and mechanics call them "copper plugs".

5.“Copper spark plugs”​
“Copper spark plugs” is a term often used to describe a standard material spark plug. However, this terminology is incorrect, as standard material plugs do not have electrodes made from copper. Copper is soft with a low melting point and cannot be used for electrodes, as they would wear very quickly. A standard material spark plug uses a nickel-alloy that may include a small copper core. The copper core has nothing to do with the electrical performance of the spark plug. A copper core is used to increase heat dissipation and durability by lowering the electrode temperatures. Nearly all NGK spark plugs, including precious metal iridium and platinum plugs, have a copper core to increase the electrode durability. Special nickel alloys, platinum, and iridium electrodes, along with copper cores are all used to enhance durability – durability meaning how long a spark plug will last before it needs to be replaced.​

Back