Any Battery Preferences

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all, it looks like I need a new battery for our '95 Odyssey so I thought I'd see if anyone has a clear preference for any brand.

Many thanks,

Greg

What brands are available in Canada?
In usa I prefer costco, there is where I got replacements for grand prix and windstar and freestar.
No problems with replacements at all.
Lower price than auto parts stores.

I use Eastpenn/deka, but I don't know if you can get those in China.
Panasonic batteries are also amazing, but I only encounter them on cars that were built in Japan. Most auto dealers simply sell an exide or JCI battery with the car manufacturers name on it.

Can you get Optima batteries? They're thr boys
wink.gif

Anything made by Johnson Controls or East Penn/Deka should be fine. Stay away from anything made by Exide.

Not sure what brands are available there - down here, AutoZone (Duralast) and Advance Auto (Autocraft) batteries are both made by Johnson Controls. I'm currently running a Blain's Farm and Fleet (East Penn/Deka) in my Chevy.

While no battery is perfect, here is my
49.gif

Interstate has a good reputation, but mine went bad at 2 years 4 months on a 5 year warranty. Because only two years were free replacement they wanted to pro rate 26 months plus a fee. It came to about 70% of the full price. Terrible warranty IMO. Yes this was an Interstate store. Not a shop that carries them.

Duralast has mixed reviews. Usually very good or bad. No personal experience.

Advance seems good. Just bought one. Time will tell.

My local O'Reilly can't test a battery right, so how will they honor the warranty?

Napa seems ok. No personal experience.

Wal-Mart (while I despise them) may not have the best batteries, but they stay true to their warranties. If a 3 year free replacement battery quits after 2 years 11 months and 3 weeks. You will get a free battery. No questions asked. Batteries and oil are the only things I buy from them.

Hope this gives some insight.

Anything made by JCI with octagon vent caps. Also as mentioned but less widely available, the East Penn batteries and Optima batteries are good.

I also avoid Exide if possible.

33711209_253800_full.jpg

Old Optimas good...New Optimas junk.

Get a Autocraft Silver or Gold from Advance and use code WD28 and save.

the only batteries I've ever had grow massive fuzz on the posts were all exides

I prefer AAP silver or gold matched with one of their 50$ off coupons.

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
Anything made by Johnson Controls or East Penn/Deka should be fine. Stay away from anything made by Exide.

Not sure what brands are available there - down here, AutoZone (Duralast) and Advance Auto (Autocraft) batteries are both made by Johnson Controls. I'm currently running a Blain's Farm and Fleet (East Penn/Deka) in my Chevy.

+1

great replies and info, thanks!

the battery currently in there is an Interstate which I bought because I had heard good things. I don't have my records with me right now so I'm not positive but I think it's over 4 years old so I guess we got our use out of it. I've been getting 5 years out of the NAPA batteries I use in my Civic so that seems like a decent choice.

Optima sounds like they're great batteries but I think there are brands out there I can get 5 years out of without the hefty price. I prefer to try and replace on a 5 year schedule (maybe this is an unreasonable interval?) rather than run-to-failure. I had a few MotoMaster batteries from Canadian Tire that didn't last at all and while they honoured the warranty I found the lack of reliability a hassle. I haven't figured out who manufactures them yet but my bet is it's one of the names you guys have mentioned.

The fact Kirkland was mentioned is interesting as I've read in a couple of other places that they're a good bet.

I've treated the Die-Hard in our camper van quite poorly and it seems to be holding up. By treating poorly I mean that I've completely drained it a couple of times while trying to start the van and I leave it in there over the winters that get to -35C and below.

Crown make the best batteries; dont be fooled by cheap imitations...

Canadian Tire batteries are all made by JCI

Last edited:
Right now in my cars I have Kirkland batteries from Costco, and an Auto Craft battery from AAP. I'm happy with both brands. In the past AAP has been great about replacing my battery during the warranty period. And Kirkland batteries are a very good price for the specs on the batteries.

One thing I've heard mentioned is to get a Walmart battery, because if your battery ever dies on you, chances are there's a Walmart near buy to swap it out at. If that gives you comfort, then that's something to consider. But for me, I'd rather get a Kirkland or AAP battery.

Originally Posted By: Rand
the only batteries I've ever had grow massive fuzz on the posts were all exides

I prefer AAP silver or gold matched with one of their 50$ off coupons.

Same here, last fall got a group 24 Gold at AAP with the great coupon for $82 out the door. It turns the starter much better than the factory battery ever did. Fit the battery box perfectly. Bought it because of the many happy purchasers here on BITOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back