Any bad UOA's with pennzoil platinum??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever had any "bad" UOA's with pennzoil platinum? I haven't seen anything but good on this forum regarding this oil. If so, what oil did you have better results with?

It really depends on the engine condition and design. Some oil may provide a good UOA while another won't and vice versa in a different engine. In general, PP is very good.

If you want to step up to a higher quality oil, you can use a boutique oil such as RedLine, Amsoil, Royal Purple or Schaeffer's.

It won't necessarily mean you will have a better UOA with it other than if you are using it for an extended interval as these should be able to go further under ideal conditions due to the make up; a higher group synthetic and stronger additive package that is used to formulate the oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buster
PP is as good as any other synthetic on the market IMO.

I know its running real good in mine right now. Seems like it has a little more torque than on GC too,(according to the ole Butt dyno)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lexus114

I know its running real good in mine right now. Seems like it has a little more torque than on GC too,(according to the ole Butt dyno)

It's probably thinner than the GC and lets the engine rev up quicker, giving you that impression.

Originally Posted By: Ponch
Anyone ever had any "bad" UOA's with pennzoil platinum? I haven't seen anything but good on this forum regarding this oil. If so, what oil did you have better results with?

You would have to qualify what YOU consider as a bad UOA. Having said that, sure, there have been bad UOA with PP, and Amsoil, and Mobil, and Valvoline, and Quaker State, and Havoline, and Red Line, and Castrol, and house brands, and Rotella, and Delo, and all the rest. If you were to spend hundreds of hours researching UOA's from BITOG, and other forums, get the assistance of engineering students and chemistry students to make it a project, you might learn that most all brands of oils have traits, trends, a given amount of predictability.

You might have determinations, considerations, expectations, and even demands of a lubricant. I, just as an example, look at the 100C cSt of a UOA before I look at anything else. That is extremely important to me. Some people praise a UOA as being great when it has sheared from 10.2 to 8.9, and that would be totally unacceptable to me. If this oil did this on a regular basis, if this was its trend, part of its traits, with many different engines, environments, driving habits, I would never consider that oil.

Some people look at the remaining detergent/dispersant level, that is important to them. For others it may be lead, copper, iron, or even part/parts of the add pack, but it must be looked at from different engines, conditions, environments, geographies, for it to have any real meaning.

You can take any of the big 5 oils, go to the UOA forums, and find ONE UOA that would make you swear you would never use that oil. You can also find ONE UOA that would make you swear you would never use anything but this oil.
smirk2.gif
That really means little. You have to look at every UOA on that oil from the beginning of API SM.
shocked2.gif

There is no magic oil. An engine that is in good working oil will give a good UOA.
The trend towards many good UOAs with PP are easy to explain.

One, it is popular and we are getting a rather large sample size. Two, Folks that use it and folks who take the time and money to perform UOA are more likely to maintain a vehicle appropriately.

I personally like PP and its overkill detergent package on paper and the way it runs on the road.

Better than most in practice if not on paper, I would say.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: FrankN4

I, just as an example, look at the 100C cSt of a UOA before I look at anything else. That is extremely important to me. Some people praise a UOA as being great when it has sheared from 10.2 to 8.9, and that would be totally unacceptable to me. If this oil did this on a regular basis, if this was its trend, part of its traits, with many different engines, environments, driving habits, I would never consider that oil.

Interesting statement regarding the shearing... Frank, based on what you have researched, what oil holds up best (shearing wise) ? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Originally Posted By: lexus114

It's probably thinner than the GC and lets the engine rev up quicker, giving you that impression.

uh,I`m sorry I don`t do impressions!.....
grin2.gif
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Ponch

You would have to qualify what YOU consider as a bad UOA. Having said that, sure, there have been bad UOA with PP, and Amsoil, and Mobil, and Valvoline, and Quaker State, and Havoline, and Red Line, and Castrol, and house brands, and Rotella, and Delo, and all the rest. If you were to spend hundreds of hours researching UOA's from BITOG, and other forums, get the assistance of engineering students and chemistry students to make it a project, you might learn that most all brands of oils have traits, trends, a given amount of predictability.

You might have determinations, considerations, expectations, and even demands of a lubricant. I, just as an example, look at the 100C cSt of a UOA before I look at anything else. That is extremely important to me. Some people praise a UOA as being great when it has sheared from 10.2 to 8.9, and that would be totally unacceptable to me. If this oil did this on a regular basis, if this was its trend, part of its traits, with many different engines, environments, driving habits, I would never consider that oil.

Some people look at the remaining detergent/dispersant level, that is important to them. For others it may be lead, copper, iron, or even part/parts of the add pack, but it must be looked at from different engines, conditions, environments, geographies, for it to have any real meaning.

You can take any of the big 5 oils, go to the UOA forums, and find ONE UOA that would make you swear you would never use that oil. You can also find ONE UOA that would make you swear you would never use anything but this oil.
smirk2.gif
That really means little. You have to look at every UOA on that oil from the beginning of API SM.
shocked2.gif

Dang, nice post.
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

You also buy into that thicker is better nonsense. I do not.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

DING,DING,DING!!! another forum believer that makes total sense! (to me any way)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

Well, thats totally understandable if you live in frigid Billings, MT.... Thicker IS better in south TX... I am with Frank on this.

Last edited:
I'll post this week my UOA with PP 5w30. I send it to the lab this monday so I should receive news this week. I did 12500kms on it with the 3.6l vvt non-DI GM v6. We'll see!

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

I, just as an example, look at the 100C cSt of a UOA before I look at anything else. That is extremely important to me. Some people praise a UOA as being great when it has sheared from 10.2 to 8.9, and that would be totally unacceptable to me. If this oil did this on a regular basis, if this was its trend, part of its traits, with many different engines, environments, driving habits, I would never consider that oil.

Interesting statement regarding the shearing... Frank, based on what you have researched, what oil holds up best (shearing wise) ? Thanks.

Overall, from the beginning of SM UOA on Bitog and other forums, GOOGLES and YAHOOS, many, many hours of research and compilation, remembering what I said above, there are two oils that stay in grade better and longer(miles of OCI)than everything else researched, which includes Mobil 1 30 grades, Valvoline Synpower 30 grades, Pennzoil Platinum 30 grades, Castrol Syntec 30 grades, and Amsoil 30 grades, PCMO only, SM only, The two oils are Amsoil ATM and Amsoil ASL.

PCMO only, SM only, The two oils are Amsoil ATM and Amsoil ASL.

Those aren't SM oils though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back