Any bad reports on Amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I've given a fair bit of research to amsoil...
and on thier website it seems to outperform Mobil 1. I never heard of Amsoil till a few weeks ago.

Am i safe in going for this product? (ther is no slik50 related issues here?
wink.gif
)

also is there much difference b/t the 2000 series
 -

and the non 2000 series?
 -

I thought slick50 was good.... till i saw a few posts here and then did a google search. yes i have used it
pat.gif

I've been running Amsoil for 25 years and have been very satisfied with almost all of their products. The two oils you posted info on are very comparable, although the 10w-40 can also be used in light duty, diesel engine passenger cars.

The S2000 is probably very expensive in Aust - I'd recommend sticking with the 10w-30 or 10w-40.

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

StiMan,
last time I got a quote for an oil change on my 4Runner, it was about $120 (5 litres) for oil, and $30 for filter plus postage from an amsoil rep (mail order).

Redline was $32 a litre last time I got it.

Mobil 1 is $13 a litre (up from $10) for the 5W-50, and the latest retail that I saw on the 0W-40 in a service station was over $20 a litre - I was paying $12 a litre up until 6 months ago.

I think that Mobil are trying to make people want to buy the mail-order synthetics down here.

Yep, I'd go the redline also at those prices.

I reiterate that Mobil are trying to lose their edge downunder.

quote:

Am i safe in going for this product?

Absolutely. Amsoil makes excellent oils. I think there ASL/ATM are two of the best buys out there right now among any oils on the market. I do think Redline at $7qt is a better buy then there S2k which I have mixed feelings about, for high performance. Amsoil's quality is top notch. Not so sure if they are really any better then Mobil 1 at this point, but they are great.

The oil companies over here have a licence to print money.

I don't use synthetic because (1) it's too expensive and (2) I'm a grey haired luddite.
grin.gif
(I still remember the glass bottles outside the gas station with the pints and quarts of 30wt oil.)

The younger generation have succumbed to the advertising hype and pay exhorbitant prices, but not this little black duck. Mind you, my 5 litre jug of top quality dino still costs around $30 ($21 US).

Dave

Holy cow man...are you Aussie guys really bad typers...or is oil just FREAKIN' expensive there?

I can get M1 0w40 for $ 7.00 CDN ($ 7.50 AUS ), and I thought that was expensive...

How often do you change your oil...?!?!

Ahemmm ...... you would have to add freight half way around the globe to that .....
quote:

Originally posted by geeeman:
Holy cow man...are you Aussie guys really bad typers...or is oil just FREAKIN' expensive there?

I can get M1 0w40 for $ 7.00 CDN ($ 7.50 AUS ), and I thought that was expensive...

How often do you change your oil...?!?!

The one thing I like about Amsoil is that it is at the higher end of viscosity compared to M1 and Redline in the same grade....
quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

Am i safe in going for this product?

Absolutely. Amsoil makes excellent oils. I think there ASL/ATM are two of the best buys out there right now among any oils on the market. I do think Redline at $7qt is a better buy then there S2k which I have mixed feelings about, for high performance. Amsoil's quality is top notch. Not so sure if they are really any better then Mobil 1 at this point, but they are great.

quote:

Ahemmm ...... you would have to add freight half way around the globe to that .....

And just how much would that be on, say a
100 000 liters (quarts) in a freight container by ship? $ 10 000...$ 100 000...$200 000???

Call it $ 200 000; thats only 2 bucks a liter!!!
And thats assuming it's made in the USA.

Seems like SOMEBODY! is making a pretty penny somewhere!

quote:

Originally posted by StiMan:
shannon... i can get

4.73 Litres of Amsoil for $92
4.73 Litres of Redline for $129

5 Litres of New Mobile 1 'Gold' 10/30 for $90

i can get it from autospeed...

http://www.autospeed.com/cgi-bin/browse.cgi?category=290&sc_add=1001865007&

check out the price for NEO

4.73 Litre of Neo for $172
shocked.gif

Can anyone get Amsoil for any cheaper in Oz?

Cheers
biggthumbcoffe.gif

The only sizes I see on the redline website is 0.946 lts, 3.784 ltrs and larger. My problem is that for 1 car it needs 4.3 ltrs meaning buying a 2 containers. $110.00 & $29.00.

I just had 6 tonnes worth of gear airfreighted from the U.K. for a bit over 12 grand (oz).

$2 per kilo.

quote:

Originally posted by theguru:
QUOTE]The only sizes I see on the redline website is 0.946 lts, 3.784 ltrs and larger. My problem is that for 1 car it needs 4.3 ltrs meaning buying a 2 containers. $110.00 & $29.00

yeah, now you mention it, the price for Redline is $139 for the 4.73 Litres.....

this is the same as Motul 300v ... it comes in the tin can. you have to buy 2 cans (a small and a big one)

i think for $92 + delivery for 4.7L amsoil is better value. and its also got 10w-40 grade which is the weight of oil i want for summer.

at autospeed if you purchase over $200 then postage is for free.
cheers.gif

but i wanna see if i can find a dealer who can sell me a drum. as i heard drums cost around $600 for 60 litres... which is about $10 per litre. which i do a group purchase with a few mates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back