Any Amsoil Experts?? Questions about the European Series.

I've been advised by the Kia and Hyundai community to swap from 5w-30 to 5w-40 in my 1.6 Turbo GDI.

Amsoil doesn't offer 5w-40 in the Signature Series. Those who run Amsoil in the Kia/Hyundai community run the European Series 5w-40. From what I gather it is the same stuff expect it has (SAPS) for the emissions systems in European cars. Can someone please explain what this is and which 5w-40 is better suited for my application?? There are two 5w-40's in the European Series. "Full SAPS" and "Mid SAPS"

I live in Alabama, United States. Hot humid summers and Chilly winters with the occasional 1 or 2" of snow every 2 or 3 years but rarely cold enough to stick. My car is a 2017 Kia Forte5 SX with a 1.6 Turbo GDI engine. Thank you for any and all input. Just trying to better understanding what it is I will be putting in my engine. Thanks.

You want Amsoil absolutely and a 40 grade? Run SS 0W40.

Or maybe something else if there is some LSPI to mitigate.

SS series 0w-40 has an LSPI formulation

Protects Pistons from Low-Speed Pre-Ignition
We armed Signature Series with an advanced detergent system that protects against harmful deposits and low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI). Most new engines feature gasoline direct injection (GDI), often combined with a turbocharger to boost power and improve fuel economy. These new technologies, when combined with a poorly formulated motor oil, promote LSPI and threaten engine operation. LSPI is the spontaneous ignition of the fuel/air mixture prior to spark-triggered ignition. It occurs in today's advanced engines and is much more destructive than typical pre-ignition. A properly formulated motor oil is critical for protecting your engine.

Original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) like GM* have addressed the issue by designing tests to determine a motor oil’s ability to prevent LSPI. Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil achieved 100 percent protection against LSPI1 in the engine test required by the GM dexos1 Gen 2 specification - zero occurrences were recorded throughout five consecutive tests.

That would be too thin I'm afraid. My owner's manual suggests 5w30-5w40 only for my climate.
Both 0W-40 and 5W-40 are a 40-grade oil, the 5W-30 is thinner than both of those. The winter rating is not relevant here since you live in Alabama and neither is it relevant to the choice.

Last edited:
Both 0W-40 and 5W-40 are a 40-grade oil, the 5W-30 is thinner than both of those. The winter rating is not relevant here.

Both 0W-40 and 5W-40 are a 40-grade oil, the 5W-30 is thinner than both of those. The winter rating is not relevant here.
I've never heard of anyone with my platform running 0w-40. Forgive me I'm not that educated when it comes to oil weights. And I don't doubt what you're saying. I just know that most of the people that own Hyundai or Kia Vehicles with the 1.6 turbo engine run 5w-40. I'm just trying to find out if a European Car Formula that's formulated for "SAPS" would have a negative effect on my car's emissions system. I wouldn't think it would since Europe has more strict emissions laws and cars are equipped with more sensitive emissions systems. The certifications between the two oils seems close to me.

Most all 0W-40 oils are "European formulas" but not all the same SAPS. The Mobil 1 ESP that was recommended is an excellent choice, arguably better than your choice since it has multiple demonstrated manufacturer approvals.

There are high SAPS "European formula" oils such as Mobil 1 FS that I run in my old BMW and Sienna.

Forgive me guys. It's been years since I've used a forum like this in this format. I do appreciate everyone's patience.

Did you check this out? It explains SAPS and which Amsoil might be right for you.

I'd be inclined to use an oil formulated to reduce LSPI (low speed pre ignition) which can be prevalent in some GDI engines. JMO.

I will also mention that "30 weight" is a range of viscosities. There are thin 30 weight oils and thick ones; The Mobil ESP I mentioned is a thicker 30 weight Most 30 weight oils indicated for use in European cars (German primarily) are on the thick side of the 30 weight range.

Why not this. Costs less than AmsOil.

Attachments

• 8EC01319-F5CB-474A-AB2B-C7F697724F22.jpeg
    8EC01319-F5CB-474A-AB2B-C7F697724F22.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 58
I've been advised by the Kia and Hyundai community to swap from 5w-30 to 5w-40 in my 1.6 Turbo GDI.

Amsoil doesn't offer 5w-40 in the Signature Series. Those who run Amsoil in the Kia/Hyundai community run the European Series 5w-40. From what I gather it is the same stuff expect it has (SAPS) for the emissions systems in European cars. Can someone please explain what this is and which 5w-40 is better suited for my application?? There are two 5w-40's in the European Series. "Full SAPS" and "Mid SAPS"

I live in Alabama, United States. Hot humid summers and Chilly winters with the occasional 1 or 2" of snow every 2 or 3 years but rarely cold enough to stick. My car is a 2017 Kia Forte5 SX with a 1.6 Turbo GDI engine. Thank you for any and all input. Just trying to better understanding what it is I will be putting in my engine. Thanks.
In 5w40 … Pennzoil Platinum Euro is a good bang for the buck …

All oils have SAPS. Some are Low SAPS, Mid SAPS or High SAPS.
Today, bcs. of emission system complexity, especially in diesel engines, there is tendency (since 2004) to push to lower SAPS.
You do not have complicated emission system, but you do have direct injection.
So first, while Amsoil is good oil, you have to understand one thing about European oils, and that is that European manufacturers have extremely stringent approval process. While Amsoil is good oil, not all of their European series oils are approved by European manufacturers. Some are, but most are not, and most do not carry series of approvals.
That is where your local Wal Mart comes handy. Mobil1, Castrol, Pennzoil, Valvoline actually carry slew of various approvals.
So what do you want. To make it clear and easier (you could research this forum. Thousands of threads about these stuff), there are four oils that are top tier among oils targeted for European vehicles:
Mobil1 0W40 FS (Wal Mart available)
Castrol Edge 0W40 (Also WM available)
Castrol Edge 0W30 (Amazon available, expensive)
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 (Advance auto Parts run 5qt with filter for $33).

Now, there are others, some really, really good (Motul for example) but these are readily available, and Edge 0W30 was always darling among Euro owners.
Now, you will say: wait, I want 5W40 not 0W30!
Sure, but European oils ACEA A3, C3 are very heavy W30 or usually light W40 oils. Grades are range between two numbers, and W30 range is 9.2cst to 12.5cst at 100c. W40 is 12.5cst to 16.3cst at 100c. For example, Castrol Edge 0W40 is 13.1cst at 100c, Edge 0W30 is 12.2cst. So difference is really small. So, do not shy from 5W30 or 0W30 ACEA A3 or C3 oils as they are heavy oils, almost W40.
My take, regardless that you are in AL, and I lived there 8 years, in Montgomery, so I know climate, is to run one of those readily available oils. If you still want to stick to 5W40, I would run Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 as it is most recent in specifications and in general is very stout oil.

OP, don't get me wrong, but there's absolutely nothing special about your car that requires any special oil. Also, there's nothing super special in Amsoil that gonna make it any better. I think you're just going thru a honeymoon with bitog and it seems like you can find a rare unicorn oil that'll make your car fly. The truth is, you prob won't. Yes, you're better off with a3/b4 oil and its best-known flavors here are M1 and Castrol 0w40. I wouldn't ignore M1 esp which is an exceptional oil, it's thick, has a lot of true synthetic components and Mercedes, Porsche, and VW approvals. But chasing Amsoil just for the sake of the name is questionable to me. And I'm saying it since I've been there, tried all 3 amsoils - OE, XL, SS and nothing magical happened. In fact, my car runs better with Pennzoil. I hope you'll find what you're looking for.

A lot of assuming going on here. Appreciate all the input. My original question was simple. I'm staying with a brand that is readily available to me that I've ran for years and has worked for me. This thread was about Amsoil. The title doesn't say change my mind about Amsoil. Only one person has actually answered my question. If you don't like Amsoil?? Fine move on. Appreciate the unsolicited advice. Have a blessed day.

for Amsoil specific stuff, its best to PM @Pablo

A lot of assuming going on here. Appreciate all the input. My original question was simple. I'm staying with a brand that is readily available to me that I've ran for years and has worked for me. This thread was about Amsoil. The title doesn't say change my mind about Amsoil. Only one person has actually answered my question. If you don't like Amsoil?? Fine move on. Appreciate the unsolicited advice. Have a blessed day.
Actually there is very little in this thread that is "assuming", nor is there a lot about Amsoil. Nearly all of it is a more technical discussion about oil properties in general and how they relate to your particular vehicle. It would be better if you try and understand that part rather than continuing to try and make it a discussion about Amsoil.

Back