Any Amsoil Experts?? Questions about the European Series.

I really like the ESP line. The Mobil 1 5w30 ESP meets very tough OEM standards and is very shear stable. Holds up well in GDI engines. Arguably the best oil for WRX. The 0w40 ESP went through 2 years of testing between XOM and GM for the Vette. It's a very capable oil.

I've been advised by the Kia and Hyundai community to swap from 5w-30 to 5w-40 in my 1.6 Turbo GDI.

Amsoil doesn't offer 5w-40 in the Signature Series. Those who run Amsoil in the Kia/Hyundai community run the European Series 5w-40. From what I gather it is the same stuff expect it has (SAPS) for the emissions systems in European cars. Can someone please explain what this is and which 5w-40 is better suited for my application?? There are two 5w-40's in the European Series. "Full SAPS" and "Mid SAPS"

I live in Alabama, United States. Hot humid summers and Chilly winters with the occasional 1 or 2" of snow every 2 or 3 years but rarely cold enough to stick. My car is a 2017 Kia Forte5 SX with a 1.6 Turbo GDI engine. Thank you for any and all input. Just trying to better understanding what it is I will be putting in my engine. Thanks.

Let's start with the switch from 5W-30 to 5W-40. I am not entirely convinced you need an increased 100°C viscosity. Is there some empirical evidence? Are there true, but anecdotal failures, turbo or otherwise with people using XW-30?

That said, the 0W-40 (AZF) Signature Series is a good, but probably overkill recommendation. It's got relatively lower SAPS. (This was explained OK, correct? If not let me know)

Of the two 5W-40s as you surmised the AFL 5W-40 will be a better fit. Amsoil AFL 5W-40

Just let me know if you want more info/have questions.

People talk about Amsoil not having any manufacturer approvals BUT... that is not true. Pablo mentions AFL. AFL has MB 229.51 and Porche A40 approvals. EFL which is Full SAPS has MB-Approval 229.5, Porsche A40 and VW 502.00, 505.00.

Personally, if would trust it with a Porsche approval. Some people will put Amsoil down because they don't like how they market their product. Some people will put it down because they had a bad experience ONCE which I'm not sure was even proven to be an oil problem. Some people will only use Amsoil for other reasons.

Full disclosure, I use Amsoil. BUT I have also used M1, Castrol, Rotella T6 and Total and I want to try Redline. I am moving away from Amsoil not because I have an issue but due to cost, warranty and mechanical problems which have nothing to do with Amsoil (blown turbo). However, I may be going back to Amsoil for my wife's car since she is out of warranty and we are doing extended changes.

Feel free to use Amsoil and not worry. Just choose your brew. If you don't like it after 1 or 2 changes then move on to something else.

A lot of assuming going on here. Appreciate all the input. My original question was simple. I'm staying with a brand that is readily available to me that I've ran for years and has worked for me.
IMO readily available means you have it in your stash. Since you're asking which one to buy... But I get it, moving on

People talk about Amsoil not having any manufacturer approvals BUT... that is not true. Pablo mentions AFL. AFL has MB 229.51 and Porche A40 approvals. EFL which is Full SAPS has MB-Approval 229.5, Porsche A40 and VW 502.00, 505.00.

Amsoil claims to be d1G2 oil, yet 2 problems:
1. there's literally no Amsoil entry on the dexos website https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos1/index.html
2. VOA of XL 5w30 shows the elevated level of sulphated ash (1.05 with d1G2 requiring
As for the VOA of their 0w40 series with 229.5 approval, from the lab analysis I've seen, the only cool thing about it is its base PAO+esthers oils (which M1 ESP has too at a fraction of cost), TBN is lower than 229.5 requires and the additives package is pretty standard.

OP, no one tries to convince you to use anything else, we're just trying to share our knowledge here.

Personally, if would trust it with a Porsche approval. Some people will put Amsoil down because they don't like how they market their product. Some people will put it down because they had a bad experience ONCE which I'm not sure was even proven to be an oil problem. Some people will only use Amsoil for other reasons.

Full disclosure, I use Amsoil. BUT I have also used M1, Castrol, Rotella T6 and Total and I want to try Redline. I am moving away from Amsoil not because I have an issue but due to cost, warranty and mechanical problems which have nothing to do with Amsoil (blown turbo). However, I may be going back to Amsoil for my wife's car since she is out of warranty and we are doing extended changes.

Feel free to use Amsoil and not worry. Just choose your brew. If you don't like it after 1 or 2 changes then move on to something else.
Some do have approvals. Some, usually not in similar fashion like Mobil1, castrol that have slew of approvals for single oil.

Back