Any advantage in using an 0w20 (M-1) in.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
....a year-round mild climate....like in Southern California (L.A and San Diego)?

Local WalMart stores carry M-1 0w20 in both LA and SD.

There is no advantage in using 5W20 over 0W20 in mild climate likes in So Cal, I would use 0W20 if it's available and no more expensive than 5W20.

Wondering...if your doing a fair amount of short-tripping....would an advantage be that your engine would get up to operating temps faster....using an 0w20?

You would get to normal operating temperatures half a second faster, resulting in two tablespoons more in fuel economy.
wink.gif

You are splitting hairs in normal weather on performance/fuel economy advantage between 0w20 and 5w20 - go with whatever is on sale!
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
YES. M1 AFE saves fuel. They have website where it calculates how much u save. Of course (I) pay $9/ gallon not on sale.
but less friction might= less engine wear? Idn. they dont claim that but it seems to me yes, even if not, M1 is among highest quality, they have 1 million mile test on utube. But, I change my OCI from 5k to 10K so it will save me $30 4 mechanic 2 change oil/ filter under car.

Originally Posted By: cathy
YES. M1 AFE saves fuel. They have website where it calculates how much u save. Of course (I) pay $9/ gallon not on sale.
but less friction might= less engine wear? Idn. they dont claim that but it seems to me yes, even if not, M1 is among highest quality, they have 1 million mile test on utube. But, I change my OCI from 5k to 10K so it will save me $30 4 mechanic 2 change oil/ filter under car.
Bear in mind all M1 fuel savings are compared to a heavier 30 weight oil, not a 5w20. The only fuel saving advantage you would see in a 0w20 vs. a 5w20 is in the initial warming up of the engine. Afterwards, both oils are 20 weight.

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
Originally Posted By: cathy
Bear in mind all M1 fuel savings are compared to a heavier 30 weight oil, not a 5w20. The only fuel saving advantage you would see in a 0w20 vs. a 5w20 is in the initial warming up of the engine. Afterwards, both oils are 20 weight.

didn't read that. But if you're in city like me, you are always warming up the engine. (doing 5 errands/day).

Any performance advantage of PP 5W20 over PP 0W20, M1 5W20 over M1 0W20, Synpower 5W20 over Synpower 0W20 ... ? None !

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
....a year-round mild climate....like in Southern California (L.A and San Diego)?

Local WalMart stores carry M-1 0w20 in both LA and SD.

If you would otherwise use Mobil 1 in 5W-20 flavor, it's a no-brainer to buy the 0W-20. The price is the same, and you'll get better cold temperature oil flow. Will it make a difference? Probably not enough to notice, but the price is the same, so there's really nothing to lose here.

Now, if you'd otherwise use an $18 conventional 5W-20 and are thinking of switching to a $25 synthetic 0W-20...no, you'd not make up the difference in fuel savings. Would your engine be better protected? Likely, but it's harder to quantify those kinds of benefits.

The fact that Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 starts with better base oil is another fact. One of the reason's I think Mobil 0w30 held up so well in the Subaru, it may have been a lower HTHS to start but it never sheared from that number. It stuck there. Lesser 5w30 would shear down towards a 20 by the end on the OCI.

Im running M1 AFE 0w-20 right now in a car that calls for nothing less than 5w-30. I have about 1500 miles on it and all seems well. I did notice the engine is noisier when cold and I plan on running a UOA when I reach 5000 miles. I was planning on a 10k OCI but Im rethinking this after the cold engine noise I was getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back