Any Actual Good Blends?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been hangin out here for almost a yr and have found the people and information terrific.

I've noticed that the general concensus talks highly in particular about synthetic and dino oils.

I'm lookin for the best "actual" blend out there.
So what in your all opinions are the best blends?
Asking cuz a blend is what I've decided to run in my vehicle.

Any takers?

Schaeffers seems to get as good a UOA as synthetic with their blends. I am going with their blend in one engine soon to give it a shot

Look in the UOA section, most of the Schaeffers reports are their blends I believe.

Without a doubt Schaeffer's Blend. People have driven 10,000 miles on one oil change with this oil and gotten good results from UOAs. Schaeffer's Blend may be better then some synthetic oils.

Yes, I meant to post that Schaeffer's blend has a good track record,of that I'm aware.
worshippy.gif

What about OTC blends?
confused.gif

I use 5 quarts of Chevron Supreme and 1 quart of Havoline synthetic. All of them are very good oils and it is cheaper than an already made blend.

Schaeffer's Blends have definitely proven themselves on here very well, and are probably the best blend you can buy, period.

As far OTC though, Castrol Syntec Blend has shown some great UOAs too, although we haven't seen one go for any real long intervals like we have with Schaeffer's blends.

quote:

Originally posted by palmerwmd:
Valvoline Durablend 10w-40 is ACAE A3

Fred...
smile.gif

I'd like the see that oil run out to 7500k betting it does well for a 2.25 a quart oil in certain engines and warmer climates .

The rumor mill has it that the Valvoline DuraBlend MXL 5W-40 over in Europe now will soon be available here .

I've been eyeing Havoline High Mileage. $2.09 at Advance. Given Chevrons excellent reputaion, I'm thinking this may be a quality product. Not a lot of info out there yet, as this is a new oil.

Mobil blend looks good. The 10w30 is a little thicker and it supposedly has a strong addative package than DC. And since it's mobil, the synthetic should be a GIV. Correct me if I'm wrong guys.

-T

quote:

Fred...
smile.gif

I believe there also is a Durablend 15w40 too.

Not sure what all is involved in ACAE A3, but heard it includes minimum HT/HS of 3.5. Valvoline told me that their Maxlife 10w40 has a miniuum HT/HS of 3.5. It is a blend if you consider the MSDS shows 12-22 % synthetic.

For gas engines, the Schaeffers S7000 blends ....

For diesel engines, the Schaeffers S7000, 15w-40 or the Amsoil "PCO" product are both excellent. I'd guess both are about 30% PAO. This is based on basestock interchange guidelines and required re-testing of licensed additive formulations.

Well the jury is in. I've decided to go back to Castrol Syntec Blend for my 02 2.7l Tacoma 4x4.

That's what I started running before I changed to M1 for the last 2 changes. I've noticed increased engine noise with the M1 vs Castrol.

I'll be changing oil every 3-3.5k miles and am confident that with this oil and OCI I'll easily get 150,000+ miles out of this truck without any oil related failures. Heck I only average 12k miles on her in a yrs time.

Swift,

Hate to add any doubt when a guy has made up his mind, but either go with dino or go with synthetic. I don't have the tribological data sheet, but in my opinion, blends are a marketing issue not a performance issue. Again, my opinion only, the oil's performance will devolve to the lower of the two "performance contributors" in the blend: the dino. Either accept the 150K you will get from a dino changed at no more than 4000K or go with the synthetic. Don't compromise....but whatever you decide to do, hope you get the engine life you are looking for...
cheers.gif

[ February 21, 2004, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:

quote:

Fred...
smile.gif

I believe there also is a Durablend 15w40 too.

Not sure what all is involved in ACAE A3, but heard it includes minimum HT/HS of 3.5. Valvoline told me that their Maxlife 10w40 has a miniuum HT/HS of 3.5. It is a blend if you consider the MSDS shows 12-22 % synthetic.

Yup, there was at my local NAPA store.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back