Any 5w30 SM Rated Oil For Ranger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will any 5w30 SM rated dino oil be all my Ranger needs? Since the engine takes 4.5 quarts, I figure I just go to Wal-Mart and pick up the cheapest 5 quart jug I can get. As long as it says it is SM rated, I should be well protected and ease my mind?

I would agree, i dont believe those engines are hard on oil. To me it is worth the extra two dollars to get the stronger additive pkg in the name brand but it probably is not needed. Many people have run a lot of miles using nothing by ST dino.

Originally Posted By: jstutz
I would agree, i dont believe those engines are hard on oil. To me it is worth the extra two dollars to get the stronger additive pkg in the name brand but it probably is not needed. Many people have run a lot of miles using nothing by ST dino.

In that case, what would you suggest?

I know they all will be +/- a few bucks from each other, but having a first choice is always good.

I haven't been able to find any 5W-30 MC at any of the WMs around here, it's all 5W-20. I agree that if he could find some, that would be a good choice.

Pennzoil Yellow Bottle would work well for you, it's a few dollars more than the Super Tech, but it also has a better additive pack. Plus it comes in a cool looking bottle :)

Really all of them are good oils. Pennzoil YB has been getting alot of rave lately. Really just choose Pennzoil YB, Quaker State, Mobil 5k, GTX, or Valvoline and feel comfortable it is going to do good job under regular service. Personally I dont know enough about the different brand to recommend one over the other. They all get used a lot and produce very good UOA's. Pick one that you like and just use it. If you really want to try to find which one you like, go to the manufactures sites and look at the different data sheets. In Ohio, just pick the one that has the best cold weather properties and go with it. I think you will find that between them, there is little difference.

I don't have much to say but I will say go with motorcraft 5w30 its cheap and its an awesome oil. And use motorcraft oil filters. Can't do wrong with both of these

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: J_Myler
I don't have much to say but I will say go with motorcraft 5w30 its cheap and its an awesome oil. And use motorcraft oil filters. Can't do wrong with both of these

x2....I used Motorcraft syn blend in my Ranger before, and was happy with it. The price differece is minimal as well compared to dino...

I'd use Pennzoil in it, but yes, any name-brand oil will do. Mobil5000 is cheap (less than $12 here for a jug) and PepBoys has Valvoline on special with five quarts and Purolator filter for about the same price as buying a jug and filter ($15).

Last edited:
Kendall 5w30. For all practical purposes, the same as MC, and currently .95 a quart at Advance Auto. Kendall synthetic blend is made by Conoco/Phillips, as is Motorcraft. Check the sale and rebate forum. There is a 10.00 off coupon posted there. I just got 24 quarts and a Snicker bar for 15.00 and change.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Good luck finding Motorcraft in 5-30 [5 qt jug].
It seems 5-20 is the only offering at the stores.

That is true, and kind of frustrating...I think that is part of the reason I took my Ranger off MC, and switched to M1. I was at O'Riellys recently and they wanted 5.99 a qt. for MC blend 5w30....F that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back