Any .357 Sig Shooters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pablo
I love .357Sig (Glock 20 with Lone Wolf Barrel, Sig 226 and 229).

Pablo - how do you like the P226 specifically? Do you notice more or less recoil with it versus the other two? I have a P226 and a P229 in 9MM and love both of them. I am just curious about the difference between your three.

I like the P226 way better than the P229. In fact - I just sold the P229! I have these guns for general plink shooting and while the two tone 229 with exotic wood grips was a thing of beauty it was not my favorite to shoot. A beautiful desk gun is what I called it. It was comfortable in the hand but for whatever reason, I just wasn't as accurate with it as the 226 - the .357Sig needs a longer barrel.

I like the P226 way better than the P229. In fact - I just sold the P229! I have these guns for general plink shooting and while the two tone 229 with exotic wood grips was a thing of beauty it was not my favorite to shoot. A beautiful desk gun is what I called it. It was comfortable in the hand but for whatever reason, I just wasn't as accurate with it as the 226 - the .357Sig needs a longer barrel.

Good to know; thanks for the information!

I love .357Sig (Glock 20 with Lone Wolf Barrel, Sig 226 and 229).

My experience - I don't reload (yet) - I have been able to find sales, wait, shop, etc and have never paid more than $20/50 for plinking ammo. Not cheap, but not prohibitive.

I have this weird dream of having a .357Sig AR upper or some other .357Sig rifle. Just because. (Ditto 10mm!)

A guy on a forum(don't remember which) built a custom gas operated AR SBR in .357 Sig. It was a neat project.

I own numerous handguns in .357 Sig. They consist of GLOCK 32's, Sig P226 & P229's, S&W M&P's, and a Steyr M-series (haven't shot that one yet). I have been a fan of this round for over 10 years. I did own one of the original Springfield XD's in .357 Sig (5" Tactical model), but sold that one a long time ago.

Springfield, HK, and S&W have all stopped producing handguns in this caliber. That does concern me, I'm not going to lie. Nevertheless, Sig Sauer handguns do seem to handle this round the best anyway, so it is what it is.

If you are to do an apples-apples comparison between loadings from major bullet manufacturers (let's say Speer Gold Dot for example), the .357 Sig wins out everytime. There are still those naysayers who claim that it is meaningless, and all handgun bullets are inadequate and perform nearly identical. To that, I say bring on the metal pie plate targets. I have seen time and time again hits from 9mm and .40 S&W rounds fail to knock down the plates. However, almost always, a hit from either a .357 Sig or a .45 ACP moves them with ease. These calibers have the upper hand in knockdown power.

As far as pricing goes, there is a lot of price gouging going on with the big box stores that sell this round off the shelves. I almost wonder if they don't mark it up so high just so they can argue it doesn't sell well enough, thereby eliminating one more caliber to simplify logistics. On-line websites make this almost a non-issue.

I also feel that the recoil from a .357 Sig is much better than that of a .40 S&W. It is snappier and cycles much faster. I sweat that after swapping barrels from a .357 Sig to the .40, the slide just feels like it is moving at a snails pace. Of course, this may also be why the .357 can be harder on handguns. It's definitely important to replace the guns recoil spring regularly with this round.

Z-

I think the fact that we've been in some sort of ammo panic state for the last 6-7 years is what's hurt the prices. Less popular rounds get pushed to the back. Even rounds like .30-30 have limited availability and much higher prices than a few years ago.

I'm very interested in this round. If the military migrates to 357SIG, we'll see it become very popular on the civilian market too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back