Any .257 Roberts Reloaders On The Site?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always sort of wanted a rifle in that caliber, but I already have a 25-06 so it is hard to justify.. If I find a nice old rifle for a decent price it will be mine though. Should be a good one to load for!

Originally Posted By: nwjones18
I've always sort of wanted a rifle in that caliber, but I already have a 25-06 so it is hard to justify.

I'm the same. My .25-06 Remington 700 is my favorite deer rifle.

Nope, sorry - but it is certainly a good candidate for reloading. There should be plenty of data out there. I like the Lyman and Hornady manuals, and the Hodgdon website is usually a very good source too.

I have one. It's a fun cartridge. It is a Ruger M77MKIIUL and loves 75 grain V-maxes. My daughter uses it for deer. John Barsness wrote THE article on reloading the Roberts in an older issue of Handloader magazine. I'll try to find it if you are interested.

Originally Posted By: sonofbumperbolt
I have one. It's a fun cartridge. It is a Ruger M77MKIIUL and loves 75 grain V-maxes. My daughter uses it for deer. John Barsness wrote THE article on reloading the Roberts in an older issue of Handloader magazine. I'll try to find it if you are interested.
Do you reload for it?

I re-load 6.5x55, also a low pressure cartridge , but can be hand loaded to around 60,000 psi.
There is P+ 257 Roberts ammo available which is likely around 55k psi, and an Ackley Improved version which hold a little more powder.
I think Remington made a mistake when they introduced the 260 Rem. They should have used a 1 in 7.5 twist barrel like the 6.5x55
or made the cartridge a 25-08 instead. I think Remington's own 7MM-08 hurt the longer action 280 Rem and the 25-06 popularity.

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud
.257 Roberts or .257 Roberts Improved ?
Standard .257 Roberts.

I have a 257 Improved/Ackley on a 98 action. Loaded standard 257 Roberts for years before I had it rechambered. Loves 100-120gr Sierra boatails for deer sized game, 75gr flat base for varmints. Varget is my go to for lighter stuff, IMR 4350 for heavy bullets (mainly because I have a lot of IMR 4350 cans around). Something to remember is that many 257 Roberts are older rifles, and tend to have more throat erosion/freebore. My biggest accuracy improvement was going max OAL, or longer, till the bullet was close to the rifling. Still my go to for when I get dragged out for deer or coyote hunts.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: nwjones18
I've always sort of wanted a rifle in that caliber, but I already have a 25-06 so it is hard to justify.

I'm the same. My .25-06 Remington 700 is my favorite deer rifle.

Mine is a 700 as well with a Timney trigger.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: sonofbumperbolt
Do you reload for it?

Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back