Any 2020 Lexus RX350 ownere here?

So, I am deciding if i should get the 2020 or 2021 Lexue RX350. Those that have the MY2020, do you guys have hesistation problems with the transmission? Any common problems? Is it better to get the MY2021? Please share your experiences.

Can't speak for the years you're looking at. I bought a 2016 almost exactly 1 year ago. It had the transmission hesitation/ slip issue but the dealership did a software flash and ECU reset and its great now. Solid vehicle

Reactions: JC1
We have a 2018 RX450h, which is, of course, a CVT. We are about to get a 2021 RX450h F Sport...
Regarding the newer vehicles, my understanding is there are no mechanical changes.
You might want to post on Club Lexus

There are 2021 RX350s on the lots now.

I've been looking at the RX350 and trolling the boards. The Lexus boards are antiseptic and not the best for detailed drivetrain information. There were a few updates to the 2020 year and there is an expected major update to the 2021 model. What that update is nobody is clear on yet. The trans hesitation is reported to be corrected in previous years models.

Please, post up your decision and thoughts when you drop the hammer.

I've been looking at the RX350 and trolling the boards. The Lexus boards are antiseptic and not the best for detailed drivetrain information. There were a few updates to the 2020 year and there is an expected major update to the 2021 model. What that update is nobody is clear on yet. The trans hesitation is reported to be corrected in previous years models.

Please, post up your decision and thoughts when you drop the hammer.
The major update will be on the 2022 model. The 2021 RX is the same as the 2020.

Can't speak for the years you're looking at. I bought a 2016 almost exactly 1 year ago. It had the transmission hesitation/ slip issue but the dealership did a software flash and ECU reset and its great now. Solid vehicle

Yes. I am hoping the 2020+ will not have that problem. So, I am here to ask and decide wether to get 2020 or 2021.

I have a 2020 RX350, purchased new in Dec-2019.
2020 is a mid-cycle refresh, and is an improvement - you can find details in a web search, and they are correct.
I'm told the suspension improvements are mild, but really good (I have never driven a 2019 or previous).

I recommend the 2020 over previous years, especially because of improvements in Infotainment system & addition of Apple CarPlay / Android Auto for 2020. Also, the radars / ultrasonic sensors have increased range and can now detect people - it works well!

Toyota & Lexus released new software in July-2019 for the powertrain / shifting issues.
It is a big improvement from what I have read.
Most 2016-2019 can get the reflash, but I saw a comment that the vehicle must have a compatible circuit board to get the software update....

My RX350 drives / shifts the same today as it did when I bought it new with 3 miles on it.
I suggest that you test-drive one gently -and- a bit spirited to see if you like it.
It does hesitate downshifting when you are creeping up a hill (such as pulling into a steep driveway).
This is a bit bothersome, but not a problem. Sometimes I manually shift to M1...easy to do.
"Sport Mode" greatly helps the transmission shift 'better' (=as expected) -> try it.
It is a rotary knob on the center console.

I suggest you try to 12.3 inch screen, with 360-degree camera.
My previous vehicle was a 2000 Honda Odyssey, so a big step-up in technology, and I use the technology every day.

Thanks to the comments / clarifying advice on the RX350 from JeffKeryk last year!

I have a 2017 RX350, it's a great car, you really can't go wrong with this car. If you're into sound systems you will be very impressed with the soundstage and sound quality it's capable of. I believe the ML system will satisfy most audiophiles's cravings.

Everything else is as you would expect from Lexus.

HOWEVER... if i had to buy a new car NOW, given that this model has been out since 2016, I would look more into the Toyota Highlander, with the new stiffer TNGA K platform, (RX350 is on the older K platiform which has been around since 1999)

And knowing how my still drives like new, I would or get a used (16 or 17) RX350 until the next gen comes out and decide then if I want the new RX,

Back