Any 2011-2013 V6 Camaro Owners Out There?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously toying with the idea of buying a toy (late model 1 owner Camaro) and wondered if there are owners here who can give some insight into any problems that you may have had. I am thinking of a V6, 6-speed (manual), and convertible. Is the V6 from the same family that is in the Acadia, Enclave, and Traverse?

Any and all thoughts much appreciated.

Same engine as the 2012+ impala.
Although has around 20 more hp in the Camaro.
302vs323.
Camaro has 6800 redline vs 6500 in the impala.

I bought a 2011 for my son that he drove for 3 years. That V6 is no slouch. His was a six speed automatic. After a set of shorty headers, intake and tuner it was a rocket. Had a couple of oil leaks fixed under warranty, one in the differential and one in the engine. The engine did use a quart of oil every 2,000 miles and it only got about 19 mpg. Those were my only complaints, but my son drove it pretty hard.

Keep in mind that the 3.6 LFX 2012+ version has exhaust manifolds
built into the heads so headers are out of the question.

In my Impala I was getting better than 30mpg on the highway, Just got a tune for the engine and transmission and that really woke it up. Today on the way home from work I got 36mpg on level ground at 65mph for quite a few miles.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
How much more is a stripped down/base V8 model?

Quite a bit more--I am finding V6 models in the high teens/low twenties and I really do not want a V-8 and despite the fact they can do fairly well on MPG (when driving normally), the V6 can do better and with the manual V6 and 325 HP, that is more than enough for my purposes. I am not into "hopping it up", I want a nice cruiser that is reliable. Route 66 awaits...

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

Quite a bit more--I am finding V6 models in the high teens/low twenties and I really do not want a V-8 and despite the fact they can do fairly well on MPG (when driving normally), the V6 can do better and with the manual V6 and 325 HP, that is more than enough for my purposes. I am not into "hopping it up", I want a nice cruiser that is reliable. Route 66 awaits...

I'm with you there. I got the V-6 (3.5) Challenger because I liked the styling and don't need and will never use the V-8 power. BTW the Challenger has more room and my gas mileage averages in the mid 20s. Lowest ever 23, highest 30. No problems whatsoever. The 3.5 Dodge is a timing belt engine, though if that makes any difference.

One thing that is a real killer (to me) of the V6 Camaro's is the cheapass ugly steel wheels they put on them. Although I'm sure some nicer take offs from a V8 Camaro could be found on Craigslist or something.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
One thing that is a real killer (to me) of the V6 Camaro's is the cheapass ugly steel wheels they put on them. Although I'm sure some nicer take offs from a V8 Camaro could be found on Craigslist or something.

Or you could buy a V6 that has aluminum wheels... like most of them have.

Only the very base Camaro had steel wheels. As long as you look for an LT and not a base LS, you stay away from steel wheels. Beginning in 2015, all Camaro get aluminum wheels, even the LS.

Was going to say...didn't think the wheels on "my" Camaro were steel...
562.jpg

I got 26.4 MPG from the V-6, and it had more than enough punch for me (would have hired an SS if they had yellow)...better mileage than the Maxima on my last trip.

I'd get a Camaro in a heartbeat (children might not enjoy it as much as the Maxima)...but an SS second hand, in Oz, converted to RHD is $100k US.

I actually liked the steel wheels. But I guess beauty is within the eye of the beerholder.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12

I'm with you there. I got the V-6 (3.5) Challenger because I liked the styling and don't need and will never use the V-8 power. BTW the Challenger has more room and my gas mileage averages in the mid 20s. Lowest ever 23, highest 30. No problems whatsoever. The 3.5 Dodge is a timing belt engine, though if that makes any difference.

AND the newer ones can be equipped with pentastar and an 8 speed, that's a 40 mpg highway cruiser for sure...

My son's V6 had the same 20" wheels that the SS has. It had the RS option which includes the 20" wheels. Came with the same Pirelli tires that the SS has also. Except for the badging and the lack of the little slit opening at the lower front of the hood, there is no difference in appearance. The V6 has dual chrome exhaust tips also, just not as big as the SS.

For 2011 the stripper model V6 came with 18" black steel wheels with chrome trim rings (ugh!) The next step up was a painted 18" aluminum wheel, then the 20" RS/SS wheel.

I work with two guys that both have newer V-6 Camaros. Both pretty nice cars. Neither one has had any trouble at all. One of them drives 130 miles a day just to commute to work. He gave his old 400k mile Toyota to his son and bought the Camaro. I have ridden in it and I was impressed with the power it had.

Seriously toying with the idea of buying a toy (late model 1 owner Camaro) and wondered if there are owners here who can give some insight into any problems that you may have had. I am thinking of a V6, 6-speed (manual), and convertible. Is the V6 from the same family that is in the Acadia, Enclave, and Traverse?

Any and all thoughts much appreciated.

2010_FX4,

Just bought one last year in 2013'. The RS package with the V-6 is what I wanted cuz it burns regular as and has enough horsepower for my needs.

So far no issues have occured and I drive it happily down the highway on the weekends. Only issue was that it was part of the GM recall in which new ignition and keys were issued to me. No big deal and only took and hour and a half.

Good luch in your final decision.

Durango

Thanks all for the information/advice. I am homing in on an LT1 or LT2 model--I have found a few in the 19K-21K range and this is inline with what I want to spend. Of course, less is better, but I will pay more for a lower mileage/better condition model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back