Anxiety Sufferers???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone in here a chronic anxiety sufferer? I'm about to turn 42 and have suffered with crippling anxiety for about 30 years. I've tried different medications and nothing has ever really helped. It's very frustrating and draining to have to go through it. Those that have it, have you found anything to help take it?

Reactions: Ws6
One of my friends since childhood has it. He started taking Klonopin which in my opinion makes it worse.
I get sick of hearing the crap that seems to give him anxiety. He is white, but wants to complain and put down black people.
He is entertained by watching certain networks that blab on about politics. He seeks things to hate and gets upset about it.
I think if he would realize not everyone is going to be like minded like you or white like you, vote like you..he would be normal.

I'm 41 and have been dealing with it the last couple of years. It came on like gangbusters all of a sudden. At the time, I was back in college (39yo going to traditional college). I really enjoyed being in school, but then somehow I became obsessed about getting excellent grades and then the anxiety started building up. I went to counseling for about six months before I started on medication. It's taken a bit of time to get the dosages right, but once they were right life got a lot better. I ended up quitting school, taxing 6 months off and staying home with my kids before getting a new job that I love.

If you have not seen a counselor, I would highly recommend it. Sometimes, unknown life circumstances can cause anxiety. I am sorry you are going through it. I know it sucks and some days are really hard. Keep trying.

Not crippling for me. It waited until I was 44 to show up. I denied it forever. For me it manifests as heart palpitations and a massive feeling of dread. As soon as the palpitations start my brain switches to 'you're dying' mode, which makes it worse. I'm one of those people that for years have said things to the effect of:

'you need to just get over it' and 'its all BS'. Well, I've eaten those words. I'm on a very mild antidepressant that has taken care of most of that. I'm going to attempt to taper off of it this spring to see if I can make some adjustments to deal with it, but unfortunately my career is awfully hard on the mental health.

Granted, I do think there are tons of people out there medicated to the hilt that could deal with it, but they prefer being zonked out on Xanax, I see them all day every day in my facility.

Edited to add - The brain can be a real MF'er when it wants to be.

One of my friends since childhood has it. He started taking Klonopin which in my opinion makes it worse.
I get sick of hearing the crap that seems to give him anxiety. He is white, but wants to complain and put down black people.
He is entertained by watching certain networks that blab on about politics. He seeks things to hate and gets upset about it.
I think if he would realize not everyone is going to be like minded like you or white like you, vote like you..he would be normal.
I also knew a person that took Klonopin and I agree that it makes you worse.

Mine started in 2014. I hate to say this, but it is something that never goes away. Dealing with it will take a variety of methods. Your just gonna have go to go through the options to find one that works. Be careful if klonopin is used. It can very easily be unknowingly abused.

Ok,,not a cure all,,,not giving any medication advice here.......two things,,,,number one- get a puppy, a small breed./// number 2,,got a bike , ride it for one hour on flat ground, take a friend along,,,if you think these are not worth it,,,try it,,u tried everything else,,just do number 2 , you dont have to feed a bicycle,,imho . My granddaughter is 25 , never will walk again,,now thats anxiety,oh, she goes to college full time and drives,,,you aint got no problems bud...

Do you get enough sleep? It is essential for a healthy, sound mind. My daughter was prescribed Trazodone (safe with few to no side effects) for sleep and has really helped.

I'm 41 and have been dealing with it the last couple of years. It came on like gangbusters all of a sudden. At the time, I was back in college (39yo going to traditional college). I really enjoyed being in school, but then somehow I became obsessed about getting excellent grades and then the anxiety started building up. I went to counseling for about six months before I started on medication. It's taken a bit of time to get the dosages right, but once they were right life got a lot better. I ended up quitting school, taxing 6 months off and staying home with my kids before getting a new job that I love.

If you have not seen a counselor, I would highly recommend it. Sometimes, unknown life circumstances can cause anxiety. I am sorry you are going through it. I know it sucks and some days are really hard. Keep trying.

Similar.. I figured out early on that school wasn't for me.. Also, that if something just doesn't interest me... I'm out.

On the flip side, if something interests me, I tend to obsess.

I DO suffer from anxiety, though I believe mine is slightly different.. It is not the crippling anxiety that you can't leave the house, can't go outside, can't work.... it's social anxiety, in that, if you feel like you go up and talk to someone (even a coworker at work) that you're bothering them.

In my case, my coworkers are telling me, "Hey, we don't bite." Though, the anxiety is there.. I am on the Autistic spectrum, most definitely High Functioning.

,,,you aint got no problems bud...
That seems like a very insensitive statement suggesting that your life situation is worse than others when you have no idea.

I think many who don't have these ailments believe you can pull yourself up by the bootstraps, exercise, eat right, and "will" your way out of it. The fact is that mental issues are often a physical disorder of the brain often induced by chemical imbalances. Think of electrical circuits that cannot function properly.

Medications really need to be accompanied by therapy/counseling in my opinion. For some people that still doesn't work. It's as hard to find a good therapist as it is finding a good mechanic.

Men have it tough because we're expected to fulfill the John Wayne persona. Both my dad and step dad went to their graves never facing their issues. Lives of subdued misery despite their outward appearance.

You are a strong person to address this Jason2007. Find some good professional help. Beating this is an awesome awakening.

Mine started in 2014. I hate to say this, but it is something that never goes away. Dealing with it will take a variety of methods. Your just gonna have go to go through the options to find one that works. Be careful if klonopin is used. It can very easily be unknowingly abused.

To those that use the drugs. Listen, I would... say that, sure, sometimes, if something is like *absolutely medically necessary* that drugs likely have their place, and I'm not just talking about coffee and sugar. (Two of the most commercially available, heavily pushed and sneakily habit creating drugs out there but that's not the focus of this post so let's move on.) To those that use the drugs in regards to anxiety I would say.. Folks, be careful.

If there is ANY way to deal with the anxiety without going to the dark side of panacea or pharmacea... Any blow to Big Pharma is a good one.. the human body wasn't made for drug use, IMHO, and I believe, as has been mentioned here ohhh about 3 times, that all it does is make the problem worse.

I've seen and known people that have an entire regimen of pills and just keep taking pills, pills, pills for this, pills for that.. CoQ10, follow it up with Biotin, then there's the vitamin then this medication then that, 2/3 in the morning, another 4 at lunch, etc etc etc etc like.. Come on, man, that's no way to live. And yeah, you're likely only making it worse. (*edit: I do not know the name of every single pill nor medication, the point is they have a Pill Box and take a large amount of things, yes, including prescriptions for health things..)

Now, again.. SOMEONE is going to say the drugs saved their life and that's fine, I'm only advocating for IF POSSIBLE TO DO WITHOUT.

That seems like a very insensitive statement suggesting that your life situation is worse than others when you have no idea.

I think many who don't have these ailments believe you can pull yourself up by the bootstraps, exercise, eat right, and "will" your way out of it. The fact is that mental issues are often a physical disorder of the brain often induced by chemical imbalances. Think of electrical circuits that cannot function properly.

Medications really need to be accompanied by therapy/counseling in my opinion. For some people that still doesn't work. It's as hard to find a good therapist as it is finding a good mechanic.

Men have it tough because we're expected to fulfill the John Wayne persona. Both my dad and step dad went to their graves never facing their issues. Lives of subdued misery despite their outward appearance.

You are a strong person to address this Jason2007. Find some good professional help. Beating this is an awesome awakening.
If they aren't then that is literally self-medicating.

It irks me when I see people "busting scripts" OR that means selling their prescription medications... (They get the prescriptions from the doctor, find out they are worth money on the street, Klonopin would be a prime example, that stuff will mess you up. Sell the pills for money, then try to make do on the strongest Aspirin and talk about how they are in pain. .....)

Talking to someone is key. Also, are you exercising? Even something simple as a one hour walk each day can be a big help. Don’t let the current situation deter you. Get out and walk or jog if you can safely. Try other exercises or workouts too. Indoor bicycle for example.

One of the big industries to come out of this virus situation is in home exercise using online coaching. There are a lot of choices out there. Apple just started one for example.

Is anyone in here a chronic anxiety sufferer? I'm about to turn 42 and have suffered with crippling anxiety for about 30 years. I've tried different medications and nothing has ever really helped. It's very frustrating and draining to have to go through it. Those that have it, have you found anything to help take it?
I'm 38 and I have just decided to take the bull by the horns and go head-on.

If anything, anyone, in any way comes at me, it gets dealt with. This is true for people, AND ANXIETY! Oh, someone has a problem? Something smart to say? Stop what you're doing, take a deep breath, and say, "Come on." (This is all figurative, but, when words on the Internet are the latest "Jab! Jab! Left hook! To the body! To the body!" However boxing goes.. It shuts it down.) And it works. Nothing to fear. Particularly nonsense. now, take that analogy, and apply it to anxiety...

OP, there is nothing to fear but fear itself. (Not sure why they say it like that but.) I'm 38 and as long as I keep fine-tuning myself, I know I will be alright.

Don't let anyone else or anything control your life but you.

For sure … men are not going to do much if - OMG, it entails talking about it … I’m thinking of coming out with
Foolish Pride Remedy … maybe $59 for a month supply …

I hope we are on the same page JT20. I am suggesting that many cannot pull themselves up by the bootstraps because their problem is an actual brain physical disorder that you cannot think your way out of. Just like you cannot think your way out of leukemia. I think you are saying that you despise the culture that advocates drugs alone can fix everything - overused and the easy way out. There is a middle ground - use drugs very carefully the least amount necessary and participate in therapy/counseling to learn to manage it. Still, some people don't respond.

Therapy/counseling can help people manage their dysfunction with them relearning how to view and react to life (Cognitive therapy, mindfullness, etc.). It's hard to change deep ingrained thought patterns reading self-help books and following advice on oil forums.

This is complex stuff and we on the tip of this iceberg. But, I agree, don't turn to drugs alone as a cure all. Self advocate your health.

I hope we are on the same page JT20. I am suggesting that many cannot pull themselves up by the bootstraps because their problem is an actual brain physical disorder that you cannot think your way out of. Just like you cannot think your way out of leukemia. I think you are saying that you despise the culture that advocates drugs alone can fix everything - overused and the easy way out. There is a middle ground - use drugs very carefully the least amount necessary and participate in therapy/counseling to learn to manage it. Still, some people don't respond.

Therapy/counseling can help people manage their dysfunction with them relearning how to view and react to life (Cognitive therapy, mindfullness, etc.). It's hard to change deep ingrained thought patterns reading self-help books.

This is complex stuff and we on the tip of this iceberg. But, I agree, don't turn to drugs alone as a cure all.
Had to read what you put about twice but, yes, I think we are in agreement.

I think people don't try will power/think power/the power of the brain at all and go straight to the drugs.. That is the low road/easy way out.

I think what you are saying is that, the same way you can't fix a cavity by using mouthwash (after you get the cavity) that they are needed in these situations.. That's let's for this example call it the high road.

The "middle ground" - Yes, I have High Functioning Asperger so I at least appreciate that you understand that certain people's brains are "wired differently." Bad drugs can also hijack normal brain processes, this is why addicts steal everything, everything, lie, steal, repeat. Whose "Fault" that is is debateable...

There is a middle ground - use drugs very carefully the least amount necessary and participate in therapy/counseling to learn to manage it. Still, some people don't respond.

If the situation is that serious... Yes.

Have a few people in the thread already testifying that you can't just pull yourself up by bootstraps and will yourself out of it if the situation is beyond that.

The important thing to remember is that as your elder by more then 25 years, I am always more right than you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back