Antiwear additives, Which?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

Which "type" of oil antiwear additive do you prefer: MoS2, Boron Nitride or chemical friction modifier????

Thanks for looking!
34.gif

Have a nice day
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: RodRicerg

Hello!

Which "type" of oil antiwear additive do you prefer: MoS2, Boron Nitride or chemical friction modifier????

Thanks for looking!
34.gif

Have a nice day
thumbsup2.gif

All of the above are really best. Antiwear (AW) additives are activated at different temperatures and pressures inside an engine as it warms up.

For example, polymer esters in oil form a shield at lower temperatures, and mos2 in larger amounts (above about 200 ppm) does this as well. (I think Castrol Magnatec might use polymer esters, and we see Mazda 0w-20 oil taking the heavy-mos2-concentration route to AW at low temperatures, both oils just examples, others too of course.) Note mos2 is mostly a friction reducer in lower concentrations typically seen in most oils.

Titanium is used in some oils, like Kendall and CastrolEdge, and it appears to enhance the old classic zddp at relatively high temperatures.

Hexagonal boron nitride is another that LiquiMoly believes in (Ceratec) and is interesting.

I like an oil that throws a big variety of AW additives in a fully formulated motor oil so all the temperature regimes are covered.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Its the package, not a specific additive. I let the oil blending companies figure it out.

bitog mantra: "Let the oil blending companies figure it out. We won't try to improve anything."

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Its the package, not a specific additive. I let the oil blending companies figure it out.

bitog mantra: "Let the oil blending companies figure it out. We won't try to improve anything."

None, what you mentioned are friction modifiers, not Anti-wear additives.

If you have an advanced degree in organic chemistry and mechanical engineering then be my guest.

Originally Posted By: Zach
A fully formulated motor oil made by mobil :: Pennzoil ::Castrol.

Yep.

Originally Posted By: exmachina
I like an oil that throws a big variety of AW additives in a fully formulated motor oil so all the temperature regimes are covered.

If you have an advanced degree in organic chemistry and mechanical engineering then be my guest.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ExMachina

Well, "we" don't have the knowledge or money or the equipment or work with the various mfgs to get the specs needed to created the proper oil. Let alone "improve" it.

Originally Posted By: exMachina

In a formulated engine oil, the AW components for all temperature regimes are already included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back