Antique transmission/diffs oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old brass cars (pre 1916) call for 600w in the trans/diff
we have tried "modern" 140w and it leaks out of the seals and shifter rods.
Any recomendations for a modern thick gear oil?
i have tried Chevron NLG 1 OO with OK results, but it really is thick.

I have no idea what 600w oil even looks like. The only thing I can say is that with some older outboards, which should be using a 90w grease, when the lower units start to leak it's fairly common practice to use Lubriplate #105 grease instead of the gear lube. I wouldn't think using a thin grease instead of an oil would be out of the question on a differential. Can you get that grease you're using in 000 weight?

250w might not leak out as fast!
the NLG1 00 i am using is the consistacy of really soft butter, and about the same color!

Originally Posted By: FB99
Old brass cars (pre 1916) call for 600w in the trans/diff
we have tried "modern" 140w and it leaks out of the seals and shifter rods.
Any recomendations for a modern thick gear oil?
i have tried Chevron NLG 1 OO with OK results, but it really is thick.

Got any pix you can share with us?

We got used to cars sealing rather well lately.
But it was expected then. They needed frequent top ups and changes.
I don't think it would be leak free even with H. Ford's 600 recommendation.

A friend has an old M151 army jeep that he restored. It leaks out gear lube in the front knuckles. He found some old army info about servicing them which recommended to take a 80W-90 gear lube and mix it with grease to make a thick lube soup. Very common for these old Jeeps to leak real bad due to the design of the front axle. Its will never completely stop if but if its thick enough it will protect and slow down the leaking to a minimum.

I gave him a quart of new old stock (1980's) Amsoil 80W-90 and some damaged (in shipping) grease tubes and he been experimenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back