antique car oil bypass filter systems

Several car manufactures such as Studebaker, installed bypass filters on their motors until 1962, when they went to
full flow filters.
I've read thru a lot of posts on here concerning bypass filters but these are all add on systems that I can see.
What is your opinion or expertise concerning the original factory installations?

They were much better than no filter at all. I worked on forklifts and the older industrial engines with only bypass filters had about half the life of the same engines when equipped with full flow filters. The bypass only filters didn't provide "filtered" oil to the bearings camshaft etc.

It is strange to me as I've owned and driven both models of Studebaker, pre 62 and post 62, and as far as wear goes
I could not tell a difference in the bearing area wear.

Working on the engines as mentioned i have seen the differences in them life of the engines. Bypass filter much better that no filter and full flow filter much better than the bypass filter.

In 1942 Fram offered a depth type high efficiency bypass filter. It’s in their history on their website. Modern bypass filters like Frantz keep oil analytically clean. So the bypass system is good. I don’t know what the circumstances in days of yore made it seem otherwise, but if the element and system is good, the filtering is good. Here is the proof. One thing is an old bypass pipe or element can be plugged up from lack of maintenance and the engine doesn’t run any different but is not getting filtered oil.
I post this link a lot. The bypass cleans up what the full flow didn’t, in only 200 miles.

In 1942 Fram offered a depth type high efficiency bypass filter. It’s in their history on their website. Modern bypass filters like Frantz keep oil analytically clean. So the bypass system is good. I don’t know what the circumstances in days of yore made it seem otherwise, but if the element and system is good, the filtering is good. Here is the proof. One thing is an old bypass pipe or element can be plugged up from lack of maintenance and the engine doesn’t run any different but is not getting filtered oil.
I post this link a lot. The bypass cleans up what the full flow didn’t, in only 200 miles.
One thing to remember is-there isn’t much comparable between an old, carbureted, conventional oil using, likely oil bath air cleaner & road draft tube equipped engine of old and a modern, EFI, synthetic or blend using engine of today. I bet an old school bypass would keep a little 4 cylinder EFI engine as clean or cleaner, likely for longer, than a teacup sized jobber full flow filter.

One thing to remember is-there isn’t much comparable between an old, carbureted, conventional oil using, likely oil bath air cleaner & road draft tube equipped engine of old and a modern, EFI, synthetic or blend using engine of today. I bet an old school bypass would keep a little 4 cylinder EFI engine as clean or cleaner, likely for longer, than a teacup sized jobber full flow filter.
It doesn't filter the oil to the bearings etc.

Is Ralph Wood still with us? I've been off this site for years, and the loss of institutional memory regarding bypass filters like the Frantz and Motorguard appears to be widespread!

Is Ralph Wood still with us? I've been off this site for years, and the loss of institutional memory regarding bypass filters like the Frantz and Motorguard appears to be widespread!
I haven't heard from him in at least 3-4 years now, not sure what has happened to him.

My dad once bought a Fiat Spyder convertible. He explained to me while he was fixing it how it had no filter and used a means of slinging oil I think into a cleanable screen. It was a nice-looking little car but had issues with shifting. My sister was the only one who seemed to have figured it out so she took the buyer for a spin and even though he couldn't shift it right he figured if a girl could do it he could do it and bought the car.

Good point, when full flow filters were first put in use the engine oil was subjected to much more contamination. So the oil was dirtier flowing to the main bearings without a filter in the main supply from the oil pump. Things have changed.

Back