Antique air compressor valve repair

Hi All,

I have a simple, old, nearly unmarked air compressor (with photos I'm hooping will be linked.) There's a 104 cast into the body.

One of the 4 valves on the top started hissing and I can't get pressure very high. There's also oil mist leaking out.

So, I'll be tearing a bit of it apart... and doing research. Please post tips for more specialized forums or resources.

My first issue is getting those 4 threaded valves removed from the top... Will I need to fabricate a "bung socket" for that purpose? Other tool strategies could I use?

Also, the "valve cover" piece is stuck on quite solidly. There is some interference between a edge of the cover and a cast downstream piece I'm unfamiliar with. More on that later.

Thank you,
KeithG
IMG_20201206_170951219.jpg
IMG_20201206_171011025.jpg
IMG_20201206_171043503.jpg

My first issue is getting those 4 threaded valves removed from the top... Will I need to fabricate a "bung socket" for that purpose? Other tool strategies could I use?
You will need to get a bar spanner or make one and use a rose bud

I don't remember if those are spring or reed valves under there- lets see a pic when you get it apart.

Fixing it will be easy- finding parts is a different story.

I got the top cover. Thoughts on finding that gasket?

Things look pretty gunked up, but otherwise fine. Perhaps a terp. soak would help?

I'll try adding links to the latest photos.

Gummed-up air compressor valves are common in areas with humidity + where detergent oil is used, instead of proper ISO 100 rated.

I posted that somewhere and got immediately backlash on the detergent oil part... from someone living in Arizona. :rolleyes:

Back