AntiNastyware for Credit card # theft??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just asking and sure of nothing....but what is the best "antiware" for some kind of malware that could possibly live on your PC and "steal" credit card #'s?

I run (and keep updated) Superantispyware and Spyware blaster (as well as antivirus stuff). I have a hardware and software firewall, and I don't seem to be sending anything that I don't want to....Call me paranoid, but I'm trying to learn as I go....

run a mac? you can always boot into PC inside of mac to do stuff that requires a PC. Works great.

do 99.5% of everything inside of MacOS. While there are virii, security holes, etc. that show up, there is nowhere near the body of spyware and nasty stuff that there is for PC, and lots less folks trying as a result.

You can use a program called parallels to boot into Windows with macOS still running... kind of like a window inside of a window. You can also boot directly into windows.

Any new x86-based mac can do this. You get to do your day-to-day stuff in a far more secure and less hassled environment (given the lack of spyware, etc.), run an OS that is far more stable, reliable, and resource-friendly (definitely no need for 4GB of RAM like on Vista), and be fine.

1) Webroot Spysweeper
2) Keep your Windows computer patched with the latest/greatest patches from MS
3) Turn of Microsoft Client
4) Turn of MS File and Print Sharing
5) Always have the latest version of a good antivirus program with the latest virus definitions. If you have an old engine with the latest virus definitions it does NOT guarantee a virus free computer.

What 5) means is if you run as an example Symantec (Norton)Anti-virus make sure you have Symantec Anti-virus 2009 and not 2005 with the latest virus definitions.

Last edited:
I'd use the new free version of Antivir along with virtualization like Sandboxie as a main line of defense. I know you don't like Sandboxie, as it does slow down browsing a bit, but it just flat out works.

Maybe do a scan with all available free scanners - superantispyware, malwarebytes, A2, Nod32, F-Secure, Kaspersky. Once you know you're 100% clean, get a virtualization program, and then you won't need to worry about malware.

Mac is not as secure (hack/virus-safe) and avg users would like to see, citing the multiple security-related vulnerabilities and also java-related vulnerabilities on the rise over the past 6mnths or so...

http://secunia.com/advisories/34424/

Just because not many virus writers are spending the time on writing codes for macs doesn't necessarily translates to safety for...

We have recognised over 300+ Mac viruses so far...

***internet/web safety is all relative for no one single OS can be declared safe****

Q.

I run a paid for active antivirus/antispyware/antirootkit program. This way, it doesn't have any popups asking you what to do and all the advanced settings are adjusted. I find that free versions have too many holes that 'other' users can screw up.

I have spywareblaster and spybot simply for the immunization/blocking. Updated manually weekly.

I don't use internet explorer. Opera/Firefox are my browser of choice. In any browser, I do NOT accept 3rd party cookies or let the browser save any info(this means I manually enter in where I'm going, and manually enter in my username/PW anytime I want to post anywhere).

My ethernet card(NIC) and wireless adapter use opendns. http://www.opendns.com/start

I use windows vista/xp with the last service pack with ALL updates.

I don't ever open emails if I don't know the sender. I don't download or click on anything in an email.

I use sumatra and foxit for reading acrobat files.

I make sure that I update java, flash, and shockwave regularly. Seems that many people forget to keep 'common' programs that they use all the time updated. So, keep the OS updated, along with EVERY program installed in it.

I run a malwarebytes, superantispyware, and asquared 'free' scans at least once a month. And, I run a 'competing' free online AV scan about once a month. My AV/AS seems to be doing a great job since nothing has found anything.

My AV/AS program set to scan daily(usually when I'm at work) and is set to check for definition updates every couple hours.

Your computer is only as safe as YOU and your habits, regardless of the OS.

I don't care for running a firewall since the Vista firewall and my router is good enough for me. And, I haven't found the need for sandboxie. I guess sandboxie would be a great addition to common eye-dee-ten-tee(ID10T) user errors.

I have a good woman so I don't surf questionable websites.

I do OK with work(lots of OT). So, I don't feel the need or care to steal movies, videos, or music online.

I have a separate bank & account strictly for online shopping. It doesn't have a credit line or overdraft. I deposit what I need to when I shop online. This visa/debit is used solely for online shopping/paypal and is separate from my normal banking/checking/directdeposit.

I also have pseudo emails for forums, online shopping, friends, family...... Guess where all the spam comes from?
Usually friends with stupid chain emails(whether jokes, hearsay, pictures). Some forums/online stores.... also seem to sell off email addresses too.

I think you are pretty well covered for the most part. There are always things that will escape scanners. As said before, one of the most important things you can do is make sure you have a recent version of a virus scanner and not just the latest dats. I think the only thing you are missing is anti-rootkit detection. Unfortunately with many rootkits, you are just better off zeroing the drive.

Here's my set-up:

• Vista x64 on SP2
  • Internet Explorer 8 with Protected Mode
  • Firefox 3
  • McAfee VirusScan 8.7i (soon to be upgraded)
  • Hardware firewall + Windows firewall
  • Spybot + Ad-Aware that I have set to only run when I tell it to
  • All patches for all software

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I'm just asking and sure of nothing....but what is the best "antiware" for some kind of malware that could possibly live on your PC and "steal" credit card #'s?

I run (and keep updated) Superantispyware and Spyware blaster (as well as antivirus stuff). I have a hardware and software firewall, and I don't seem to be sending anything that I don't want to....Call me paranoid, but I'm trying to learn as I go....

I just wrap my PC in foil, that keeps them out. It goes nice with my Tin-foil hat too!
27.gif

LOL.gif

What you are doing is fine!

I like to run only great free programs.

I like SUPERantispyware, Malwarebytes and A-Squared for Spyware/Malware.

For antivirus I like Avira Antivir, AVG and Avast.

Some of the best advice would be to:

1. Watch where you surf
2. Watch what you download
3. Run a different browser (Firefox or Opera)
4. Keep Windows and Java updated
5. Keep Antivirus/Antispyware updated and run scans

I have converted to ESET Smart Security after reading good stuff here and trying it for 30 days and I must say I'm very impressed. It's easy on the resources, catches things my AVG did not and it's very smart. I love it!
thumbsup2.gif

I would also use Spybot with the "Tea-Timer" that runs in the system tray and monitors your system for spy-ware.

This is what I have running and my system is always clean!
grin2.gif

Spybot is free from download.com

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
run a mac? you can always boot into PC inside of mac to do stuff that requires a PC. Works great.

... And if you do not want to spend the dough for a Mac, Ubuntu can run Windows inside it using any number of "Virtual Machine" software.

German efficiency at it's very best. I also have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Spyware Doctor full edition, and had SAS (SuperAntispyware), Spybot etc but Bot was useless and SAS had problems and neither they or Malwarebytes find stuff like a-squared. Spyware Doctor finds the odd thing but I've never run a-squared first to see if it does too. Ikarus Technology has given a-squared an edge over all others.

A-squared found a few things that nothing else pegged.

The good news is that I found what is happening now in some credit card number hack schemes. It had nothing to with my usage of the card whatsoever, but rather sophisticated(?) criminal systems with new types of generators. The charges they tried were just carding.....just glad B of A VISA is quick.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
German efficiency at it's very best. I also have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Spyware Doctor full edition, and had SAS (SuperAntispyware), Spybot etc but Bot was useless and SAS had problems and neither they or Malwarebytes find stuff like a-squared. Spyware Doctor finds the odd thing but I've never run a-squared first to see if it does too. Ikarus Technology has given a-squared an edge over all others.

Conversely, I was dealing with a nasty last week on a client's notebook, and MWB found stuff that A-Squared didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back