Antifreeze types...would like to use just one in all my rigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used the "green stuff" in the Saab 900 for over ten years, NEVER changed it, only added Anti-Rust and boosters now and again. It got so that I seldom checked it, why waste the 5 seconds .. lol .. IMO, the Anti-Rust additive was and is great, but, its no longer available ..sad ..
IMO, you can use Zerex G05 as an "universal", but for one little problem - its very hard to find around here .

I'm with Sayjac on using PGL in virtually everything. While G05 is a great coolant...it does contain some silicates which are not recommended by the Japanese makers.
The other coolant that I would consider universal is a P-HOAT like the Pentosin that was on 'CLEARANCE' at AZ a few months ago.
The only reason that the European makers avoid phosphates is because of their hard water which isn't an issue if you use distilled water.

Full Strength PGL is available from PSC in Pa.

Using the OP first post vehicles with follow up comments in the second, here's original spec AF were/are.

2015 Jeep Wrangler (manual calls for OAT)…...That OAT AF is Mopar OAT AF, no 2eha.

2005 Jeep Wrangler (manual calls for HOAT)….. Both of these spec G05 HOAT, low silicate.
2011 Chrysler 200 (manual calls for HOAT)…...Prestone(universal) is an OAT AF containing 2eha, a dexclone and not the spec AF for either vehicle.

1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (manual calls for Ethylene Glycol)…...Old conventional/original green IAT AF type.
1983 Jeep Scrambler (manual calls for Ethylene Glycol)"

As for the Zerex VML AF recommendation, best information here (linked) says it's an IAT AF type. And according to the link Zerex says "This coolant is simply produced to provide the customer a safe use of a coolant for universal use after the vehicle is out of warranty, however we strongly recommend that you follow and use the recommended coolant specified for use in your vehicle if possible." . Only vehicles listed I would consider it for is the oldest two Jeeps. Even with complete flush would not use it in the 2015 Jeep. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...ifr#Post2495656

My recommendations previously posted.

If it was me, I'd run G-05 in the HOAT and the older Jeeps and run the newest Mopar stuff. The wildcard are the two older Jeeps and "modern" coolant doesn't protect leaded solder in the heater cores and rads like G-05 and old school green does.

Trav does have a point with the John Deere stuff and someone did post Final Charge or PGL. Mopar still doesn't want 2-EHA even though there are countless Mopars filled with Dex-Clone via a quick lube or national repair chain.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
This. Prestone with Cor-Guard.

I bought 2 boxes of Prestone cor-guard from Costco few years ago and each box had two 1 gal container of anti-freeze (Same as pic above) and a 1 gal of windshield fluid ...

It says on the jug:

All makes, all models, any car, any color anti-freeze, Will not void warranty ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back