Answers to Liqui Moly questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from a long conversation with the Liqui Moly Export Manager and Research and Development Manager. I was there at 18:45, and it was 21:50 when I walked out the door! Thoroughly enjoyed talking to them, and picking off different products off a shelf and asking questions about them directly to the people involved in their development is an unforgettable experience. I don't think I left out a single product I did not ask about! Think "kid in a candy shop".
grin2.gif

Anyhow, before I go on, for those of you who asked questions, I've got the answers for you here, along with a few of my own questions:

Q: Is your MOS2 Engine Treatment safe for use with synthetic media oil filters with finer filtration?

A: Short answer is yes. Nothing will be left behind in the oil filter to cause any sort of blockage, even with extended drain intervals. The particles are fine enough to pass, and are extremely small (µm). They will not be visible to the naked eye, unless you are looking at them through a microscope.

Q: How frequently should your MOS2 Engine Treatment be used?

A: It is safe enough to use at every oil change, even in a brand new engine.

I inquired about dumping in a full bottle at one OCI and a small amount at the next. They simply said you can dump in a full bottle at the next OCI without thinking twice!

Q: Do you have an engine oil that is best suited to direct injection engines with excessive valve deposit issues?

A: The answer to this one was a bit complicated; it depends on the manufacturer's oil recommendation. However, it is a wise idea to flush out the deposits after extended oil change intervals. There's a machine Liqui Moly calls JetClean Tronic to which fuel additives can be directly connected to a vehicle's fuel system. I beleive the product induced to the fuel system through the machine is their Ventil Sauber valve cleaner.

Q: Is there a distributor for your Cera Tec oil additive in the United States?

A: It will be available in the near future. The US is tough about what specifications products should meet, and the product is currently being adapted to pass American standards.

Q: Given the choice between your two Porsche-approved engine oils, 0W-40 and 5W-40 respectively, which is better suited to 20,000+ kilometre (12,500+ mile) drain intervals under extreme heat conditions?

A: The 0W-40 is developed for colder climate conditions, with cold starts and cold oil flow in mind. However, the 5W-40 is better suited to 20,000+ kilometre drain intervals in extreme heat conditions.

Q: Is your Engine Flush harmful to gaskets and seals in the engine?

A: The product is only run through the engine for about 10 minutes. However, if a 500 ml bottle of Engine Flush is poured into the slump, about 250 ml will remain in the engine to mix with the new oil. As the oil reaches operating temperature, the Engine Flush will begin to evaporate.

Q: Would you be able to disclose the Total Base Number of your Porsche-approved Synthoil High Tech 5W-40 engine oil? Unfortunately, this was not mentioned in your Technical Data Sheet.

A: The Total Base Number is really more important in diesel applications than it is in petrol, and hence it is not disclosed in the TSD.

Q: It seems some of your products carry specifications that are not up to date. Is this due to the cost factor?

A: Some of our products (product in point is the 0W-40) carry old labels, so sorry about that. Some specifications, such as BMW LongLife 98, are already obsolete, but are mentioned on the product labelling for vehicles still requiring such specs. Meeting some specifications is also not as worthwhile financially, due to demand. Testing one product once in a laboratory costs in excess of 20,000 Euros.

Q: In cold weather conditions, a peanut buttery reside is formed on the inside of the oil cap. Why is this, and how can it be avoided?

A: The peanut buttery residue is a by product of condensation. As the vehicles gets driven, and the oil is allowed to reach operating temperature, it will go away.

Q: Do you happen to have a TC-W3 approved oil?

A: Yes, both in synthetic and mineral forms.

Q: Why do you carry a different brand name (Lubro Moly) in the United States, when you are known as Liqui Moly every where else?

A: Somebody currently owns the rights to the Liqui Moly name in the United States, and we have been unable to use it, without being asked to pay crazy money. Liqui Moly may be used in the future

This is just about all I remember at the moment. I've asked so many questions, even I forgot some of the answers. But one of their products (Top Tec 4200) is recommended for 50,000 kilometre (31,250 mile) drain intervals!
crazy2.gif

Having said that, I am not at all concerned about the small difference in price when comparing Liqui Moly products to others. They have certainly won me over, not only from a product point of view, but also from a customer care point of view. These gentlemen came to Kuwait on business, yet devoted over 3 hours of their time to sit with me in person, answer my questions and discuss lubricants and the automotive market. You certainly won't find many representatives who do that these days.

We also spoke about the poor quality lubricants sold in the Middle East, sourced from places like the UAE. Out in the field, they had to deal with someone who was running 20W-50 mineral oil in a Bentley, calling for synthetic oil!

Anyhow, they've even given me their contact details to keep in touch, and ask any questions regarding current or future products. I also told them about BITOG, and they will be checking us out soon!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS

Q: Do you have an engine oil that is best suited to direct injection engines with excessive valve deposit issues?

A: The answer to this one was a bit complicated; it depends on the manufacturer's oil recommendation. However, it is a wise idea to flush out the deposits after extended oil change intervals. There's a machine Liqui Moly calls JetClean Tronic to which fuel additives can be directly connected to a vehicle's fuel system. I beleive the product induced to the fuel system through the machine is their Ventil Sauber valve cleaner.

Thanks. This sounds more like a typical fuel additive, which unfortunately will not do much good in a DI engine since the fuel doesn't actually wash over the valves.

Then again, I didn't really expect them to tell you that they have some miracle oil that solves this problem. It's more of a engine design issue than an oil issue, although some oils, like RLI, seem to produce fewer deposits than others.

You're all very welcome, glad it was helpful!
grin2.gif
Special thanks goes out to the gentlemen from Liqui-Moly, who actually took the time to sit with me for this long.
thumbsup2.gif

The Grand Marquis was due for an oil change, and I've already switched it to their Synthoil Longtime 0W-30 today. Although their recommended product is a synthetic technology (Group III) 5W-30, I wanted to go with a full synthetic and this was my pick. The engine's actually running quieter than it was with Fuchs Titan SuperSyn LongLife 5W-30. This oil doesn't meet any ILSAC specifications, but neither does the Fuchs. Considering they both meet ACEA A3/B4, they already have a HTHS viscosity of 3.5+ cP. Got a 70 ml sample for a VOA as a baseline, will be sending a sample off after 15,000 km (10,000 miles).

Bump, for the LiquiMoly guys to see we're interested! +1, thanks for linking this thread from a more recent one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back