Answer from Castrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to post this at the end of the other post I started, but I figured enough said on that thread.

I sent the following email to the Castrol tech department.

"Subject: Castrol 0W30 - I've been told there are two different 0W30's. One that says made in USA and one that says made in Germany on the back label. I've been told the Germany mfg is a PAO/Ester mix and the USA mfg is a Group III base. Is this true and where can I purchase the made in Germany 0W30. Thank you."

Here is the reply I received today.

"The North American Castrol Syntec 0W30 offers the same performance as the German Castrol SLX 0W30.

Castrol produces and utilize formulas from various sources, including North America and Europe depending on the product, performance and component sourcing. Products may vary in raw materials as a result of the regional production facility. However, the end performance met whether API or ACEA, is still the same. Formulations meeting European standards can be sourced from the US or Europe. It all comes down to the most efficient way to supply the product to market taking into consideration development and supply chain logistics. The performance specifications on the bottle may read differently as American Standard testing varies from European testing.

Formulations meeting European standards can be sourced from the US or Europe. It all comes down to the most efficient way to supply the product to market taking into consideration development and supply chain logistics.

The decision for 0W30 to be sourced from Germany is based upon the most efficient supply logistics.

Consumer Relations
Castrol North America
1-800-462-0835"

I know I repeated myself, but this is exactly the way the email was sent to me. Well, did they answer my question?
dunno.gif

I hate oil company marketing people. Oh wait, I am one.
pat.gif

I'll bet this is awfully close, if not identical (like word for word), to the answer we have seen from Castrol on this subject before.

Leave sleeping dogs lie. Someone in the Castrol marketing or accounting department might get wind of the situation and put an end to our nirvana.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
Someone in the Castrol marketing or accounting department might get wind of the situation and put an end to our nirvana.
grin.gif

Wash out your mouth! Imagine saying such a thing!
wink.gif

This is the same answer I got from the Castrol chick the other day. She said the US Syntec 0w-30 meets all the same specs as the German one. Really? I don't think so hunny.
wink.gif

I have a some standard warning I add anytime I write large companies asking for technical information:

"This is a technical question. Do not try to answer it unless you are a technical-type person - an application engineer or a technical rep for example. If you try to reply with the usual customer service generalities, it will only irritate me and quite possibly cause me to stop using your products. If you are not able to answer this question precisely and intelligently, please forward it to someone who can".

OK it doesn't always work, but sometimes it does - once I got an answer many months later, from Saab Sweden, telling me the US luberication specs were nuts!

US and GC Syntec DO offer the same performance! Zero-dub'ya-thirty. I guess the way to phrase the question is: Does the US yellow stuff meet all the not-listed specs? Can I have that in writing?
grin.gif

I guess I got the answer I expected, but I didn't figure it would hurt to try, again. Maybe they are the same. Maybe they do put those Gummie Bears in the GC stuff.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
.....the US Syntec 0w-30 meets all the same specs as the German one.

This is true. They both are an SL rated oil. Will they perform the same? In a tamely driven street car over a 3000 mile drain interval. Yeah probably so. In a 400 HP Grand Am cup Corvette endurance racer? I don't think so.

Don

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

Someone in the Castrol marketing or accounting department might get wind of the situation and put an end to our nirvana.
grin.gif

wink.gif

I found some Gummi Bear soap. Will it suffice?
grin.gif

I have it on good authority that this is what really happened.

A guy in the accounting department at Castrol told the managemnet that they can make a "killing" by adding a little perfume and green coloring to the standard Group III synthetic oil. Then start a rumor that it is really PAO based and we will have the Americans running from store to store trying to find the green stuff.

Pertty slick and inexpensive marketing.

quote:

Originally posted by Ugly3:
I have it on good authority that this is what really happened.

A guy in the accounting department at Castrol told the managemnet that they can make a "killing" by adding a little perfume and green coloring to the standard Group III synthetic oil. Then start a rumor that it is really PAO based and we will have the Americans running from store to store trying to find the green stuff.

Pertty slick and inexpensive marketing.

Considering how well GC performs in the UOAs on here, we know for sure it's nowhere near the same as the US made stuff.

Typical answer from corporate drone's....I am a little bit nervous now that they know that we know about the "stuff"..What will they do???? Stop the influx of gummi bear juice????
dunno.gif
shocked.gif
Gonna have to squash my fear,yup gonna hit Autozone and clean em out of SLX.... Woman got it right in this aspect of life,shopping does make you feel better..

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

grin.gif

wink.gif

I found some Gummi Bear soap. Will it suffice?
grin.gif

I'm afraid not...that would be entirely too pleasant a punishment...it's got to hurt at least a little
wink.gif

I find it kind of ironic and funny that the same folks who wouldn't touch NA Castrol with a 10-ft pole because they know it has group III basestocks and snap up German Castrol because they think it might have group IV and group V basestocks defended Castrol in the other thread for obfuscating the word "synthetic". "It's all good.", they said.

That's what Castrol is still saying to you now, "It's all good."

Well do we know what is in castrol SLX, or is that still "classified"

I posed that same qustion to castrol months ago, and got the same cut and paste response.

Its funny because if you compare a bottle of north american 0w30 syntec with its german counterpart, you will see that the certification list on the german stuff is a mile long, where the north american oil has far less certifications.

The german castrol carries big names like Benz, BMW, and a few other certifications that the n/a oil does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back