Another wilderness tower torn down due to disabilities act

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.greenbaypressgazette.com/amp/1696610001

Many people have great memories and have fun climbing the old wood towers, the views are amazing..

The cost to repair them is minimal but because it's wood, a lot needs to be replaced meaning the people for disabilities act kicks in which drives the cost from thousands to repair into millions of dollars to instead replace the whole thing with a cement monolith.
The handicapable version is not only ugly but removes the charm of the open climb.

Due to this the towers once common in every park are just being torn down never to be replaced.

I think at some point we need to say shove it.

My father was handicapped and found the fact that eagle tower was torn down due to not being handicap accessible nauseating.

Not sure how one wins this type of battle

What's the purpose of having the park or skiing hill?
Same reason
They are for the enjoyment of folks visiting the park.

Also more practically you can't get above the tree line to take amazing photos like this.

In many places you can't see much without the tower, and it's fun, unlike the car dealership or Walmart that would go there instead.

CC548ADA-535C-4EAE-B59C-B016231396C9.jpeg

Originally Posted by Nick1994
I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this tower in the first place?

Used to spot fires years ago.

Oh and that is a misuse of the ADA act. While I agree that access should be available to the handicapped, most definitely in new buildings, this is more like a historic structure...hey, that's how to fight this, make all the fire towers historic structures so they cannot be altered.

Then erect some wheel hair friendly platforms here and there.

I think their original purpose was to look for signs of a wildfire, the US Forest Service built & staffed most of them, AFAIK.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle

I think their original purpose was to look for signs of a wildfire, the US Forest Service built & staffed most of them, AFAIK.

The 50 or so towers built at various Wisconsin parks by the CC corps were built solely for recreation and nothing else.

54B16E44-4219-4323-B9FF-14BAC93ADC83.jpeg

Last edited:
Unfortunate. If laws did not exist nearly no one would accommodate. Laws exist and get applied to scenarios not even thought applicable.

Sort of like it's too expensive to put sprinklers in or central smoke/CO alarms for existing owners. Then the fire related fatalities get tied back to lack of working smoke detectors working.....

Interesting.... one of the metro parks has this "tree tower" - https://www.metroparks.org/tree-tower/. It was built less than 15 years ago and it has no accomodations for handicapped visitors. How did they get around ADA ? There has to be exceptions to ADA requirements. Heh, I know there's loopholes.

Carl L. Barnum, III will get what's coming to him. It's called karma. People like him screw it up for the real disabled people.
mad.gif
What a jerk.

Last edited:
Wow straight garbage. I love hiking and these fire towers are normally on top of a lot of the peaks I hike up too. People who complain about them should just be shoved down the mountain.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Originally Posted by bullwinkle

The 50 or so towers built at various Wisconsin parks by the CC corps were built solely for recreation and nothing else.

Were those part of "Mission 66"? (Google the Wiki entry)

Originally Posted by oldhp
Carl L. Barnum, III will get what's coming to him. It's called karma. People like him screw it up for the real disabled people.
mad.gif
What a jerk.

If you watch the video to the end, he's been awarded $360k over the years until some folks recently started fighting back.

I do wonder if these businesses were in violation of the ADA, shouldn't they be fined or penalized by the gov't vs having an individual personally rewarded ?

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
...as these towers are condemned and removed.

See the link to the tower I posted ? It was built in 2011 and in less than 10 years, major issues were found with it requiring it to be repaired at a cost almost the same as the original structure cost. It only recently reopened.

Originally Posted by Chris142
It's from people like this guy. He lives in my town. We have 86'd him from our shop. Don't need the headache.

https://youtu.be/vThW4G_IZsM

My first suggestion to him would be that if he actually has aches and pains in his knees, feet, wherever, to stop stuffing his pie hole, and lose some weight.

Originally Posted by oldhp
mad.gif
What a jerk.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Chris142
It's from people like this guy. He lives in my town. We have 86'd him from our shop. Don't need the headache.

https://youtu.be/vThW4G_IZsM

Sweet Jesus! What a piece of work that clown is!
crazy2.gif

He is very arrogant too. He drives a Dodge van that he had painted handicapped placard blue. When you go to some businesses you put down your name and address. He has done that at several shops and rental places around town. He then turns around and Sue's them for things like having the toilet too close to the wall. The people he Sue's have his address.

Some one will get him eventually.

Here in Florida there is a disabled vet in a wheelchair and a scuzzy lawyer filing ADA lawsuits against small mom and pop businesses.

Some low class trash think they have a ‘right' to sue 40 business for their personal gain.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back