Another which oil is best question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
motorcraft has a better base oil than havoline. moly isnt everything. GC, mobil 1 and many others illustrate this.

Why do you say that Motorcraft has a better base oil than Havoline? I'm definitely not someone that can look at the product data sheets and tell this, but it look like to me that Havoline has a better base oil in the 5W-20 grade?

They are both awesome oils. If I make them sound like heros, then that's alright.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by vronline:
Why do you say that Motorcraft has a better base oil than Havoline?

I believe the urban legend here acknowledges that the base oil in Motorcraft and other Conoco oils is 60% Group III. And when the new SM/GF-4 specs came out some oil companies chose to meet them by going with a quality base and others with the add-pack. This may be over-simplified though.

GR, I've seen MC 5-qt. jugs at a couple different Wal-Marts. However, the one closest to me doesn't have them.

quote:

Originally posted by 87sammy:
For 5k oci Motorcraft 5w20 or Havoline 5w20. Truck is 06 F150.

You don't decide that...
...... let your engine decide which one it wants!

Do two OCIs with each.
Your engine will let you know... ie... engine sound.... dipstick color/cleanliness... oil pressure hot & cold.... oil life.... etc.

We've seen some excellent UOA's for Motorcraft 5W-20 in Ford F-150's, both the 4.6L & 5.4L engines.

Trying to pick any 5W-20 using base oil as a criteria is a tough job.

I think as a minimum, all the major brands are going to be the equivalent of Grp II+ or better just to meet the volatility requirements of the GF-4 test sequences. And it's a combination of base oil & additives that generates the passing grades.

As far as the ConocoPhillips brands being the clear winner due to the Grp III in the blend, keep in mind that this is a blend of 4 cSt base oils with 123 VI for the Grp III and 95 VI for the Grp II portion. And the 4 cST Grp II has a 10 degrees F pour point.

Compare this to other major brands which utilize GRP II+ base oils in the 118 VI index range.

Again, not knocking the CP lineup of motor oils, it's just that I see some of these "better base oil" statements & I don't see the data to back them up.
smile.gif

No data applies to your engine.

You have to try different oils to see what's best for your engine. What works in Joe Blow's identical vehicle next door may not work in yours as well.

Experiment & get a UOA done between 10-20K.

quote:

Originally posted by GoldenRod:
Where are you getting the 5qt jug at Matt?

I'm currently in New Jersey and have not the 5QT 5W-20 here, but I saw it in Walmarts in Wisconsin and CT. Snagged a couple jugs in CT
wink.gif

I've got an 05 F150, 5.4, 10K miles.
Dumped the factory oil at 5K (I know..I should have dumped it earlier). Now running Pauls Brew:
4 Motorcraft 5w-20 Blends
1 Redline 5w-20
2 GC's

My first UOA at 10K is being analyzed at Blackstone as we speak, stay tuned for some numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back