Another "What scope should I get ?" post

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would look at nikon prostaff or Redfield. Good bang for the buck and both have lifetime warranties. Nikon also comes with some great online ballistics tools matched to factory ammo. Redfield is owned by Leupold.

At Midway USA on sale.

You'll need extra high rings but I've used a few of these with success. $110 for lifetime warranty 6.5-20x 50mm AO simmons.

Read the reviews and I'll second that its clear / excellent value. Holds zero on a 30-06 and 300 mag.

Before you mount it see what you think. If you don't like it Midway will refund.

Take care, Bill

For a quality low cost scope I would go with Redfield. Built in the Leupold plant in Oregon, lifetime warranty.

I recently purchased a Redfield and a Vortex. The Vortex is a nicer scope but also cost twice as much so it's not a real comparison. If if were buying something in the 9x or 12x range for about $200-250 I'd absolutely buy another Redfield. They are great no-frills scopes and are made in Oregon.

I would have to ask what the difference is between the VX-1 and the Redfield since they are made at the same plant. From my experience the difference is you are paying $50-$70 more for the "Golden Ring" on the VX-1?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
My take is the difference is the glass. The optics and optical coating are reported to be better in the Leupold. True or not? Not sure.

You can't go wrong with either.

Another thing to consider is warranty and custom work when buying a scope.

Leupold is second to none in this respect. Lifetime warranty, almost no questions asked.

I have a leupold VX3 3-9 that is fantastic. I rate the Zeiss optics slightly better, but Leupold's customer support can't be beat.

It's rare these days to see a quality north american product with customer support that shows confidence in the product and integrity in dealings with the customer. I don't know anything about redfield's warranty.

That's reason enough to buy the leupold if you're considering them.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
I don't know anything about redfield's warranty.

Redfield is owned and made by Leupold in their Oregon plant and carries the same lifetime warranty as any other Leupold scope.

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
I don't know anything about redfield's warranty.

Redfield is owned and made by Leupold in their Oregon plant and carries the same lifetime warranty as any other Leupold scope.

Good reason to buy one then if you like the glass and features.

Get a Redfield 2-7x33. It is made in USA (by Leupold) and has a lifetime warranty. The optics are crystal clear. It is the best bang-for-the-buck scope available. It may be hard to find in stock. Cabelas had a 3 month back-order on those scopes. I purchased a Zeiss the same time I purchased the Redfield. After less than 3 minutes, I sent the Zeiss back and got 3 more Redfields for the same price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves66nova
I'd wait for a sale. If your question had a limit of $250, I'd get this:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/sightron-sii-3-9x42mm-riflescope-sii39x42.html
why does this have a "
Government Export Restriction"? what's the big deal?

It's an ITAR thing.

BTW, I have the Leupold all mounted up and it works very well. My .308 so light, it's scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back