Another Vista success story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vista does run great on an Intel DuoCore Quad Q6600.

The Windows 7 will be a much simplier system that will not require that powerful of a processor.

Quote:

I'd be worried if it didn't. Any MS upgrade usually requires throwing all your previous equipment away.

Quote:

The Windows 7 will be a much simplier system that will not require that powerful of a processor.

Never seen any OS require less resources than the previous one. However you are probably correct with regards to simplicity. The more nonsense they put in the OS, the more people look for alternatives.

The longer availability puts Microsoft in an unusual position; the new time line will make it possible for users to purchase XP-powered PCs through next July, just months before Microsoft plans to roll out Windows 7, the successor to Vista.

Steve Ballmer is doing a great job of confusing consumers and his stock holders.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

I'd be worried if it didn't. Any MS upgrade usually requires throwing all your previous equipment away.

I got Unbuntu 8.04 running on a 4 year old Dell X300 mini-laptop with a Cisco wireless card this morning. All the patches, programs & updates that were installed required exactly ZERO reboots.

Last edited:
I'm glad. Any push against the trend of frillier, more hardware-intensive operating systems is a good one.

I also hope this backlash will teach Microsoft to stop clinging to an outdated business model (being principally dependent on sales of new, faster PC hardware).

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn

Steve Ballmer is doing a great job of confusing consumers and his stock holders.

hah! he's also doing a great job of snorting all of his confidence through rolled up $1000 bills and freaking out on stage with his whole colony of code-monkeys cheering him on for doing it..... *shakes head*

The downgrade is oriented towards business computers. I can understand that one. There may be compatibility problems that are not present with XP. None of the Vista software from HP have installed fully on my Vista system without error. Some would stop cold turkey and there was no resolution. But, for someone who surfs the internet, burns CD's or DVD's etc. Vista works pretty good. So, I just use my Vista system to go online, my XP system runs my office software or things that won't install properly on Vista. I could see business applying pressure to extend XP. Since they purchase at higher volumes Microsoft is being smart to make concessions. Those commercials seem to be oriented toward the public, not business users.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
The downgrade is oriented towards business computers. I can understand that one. There may be compatibility problems that are not present with XP.

And MS claims they've sold something like 120million Vista licenses. I bet 1/3 of those machines never saw Vista, nor will those machines ever see Vista. At my job, I tried rolling out Vista, the applications (there's a long list of them) will not run on Vista. Yeah, the app vendors should make updated versions that do work, until then, our hands our tied. Even more frustrating is in-house web-based apps that don't work with Vista. You'd think a web-based app should pretty much run on anything, right? Nope. IE6 with XP only. That's not web-based, that's Microsoft backing the company into a hole.

I would like to deploy Vista, mainly for it's substantially updated networking capabilities, but that won't be happening for for as far as the eye can see.

Quote:
Microsoft, however, has warned that Windows 7 and Vista share the same basic architecture. As a result, applications that aren't compatible with Vista likely won't run on Windows 7, either.

It will be interesting when Windows 7 rolls out since the compatibility issue will still be there. I can see businesses holding on to XP a long, long, long time.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
The release of Windows 7 will be a good excuse for me to buy a new Gee Whiz desktop and laptop.

I'll still be using windows 2000, too bad it is starting to see its age when many application stop supporting W2k (picasa, iTune, etc).

Maybe Linux then?

Perhaps you could upgrade to XP at that time?
wink.gif

We have Vista on a newer computer, a low end Compaq, and it works fine after having turned off the absolutely worthless cosmetic stuff and as many processes as possible. A decent videao card made a big difference in the 'Vista score', which is actually useful for rating hardware and such.

Had to strip down XP too, which ran fine on a 1998 333Mhz Pavillion until it died in the last year.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: SrDriver
The release of Windows 7 will be a good excuse for me to buy a new Gee Whiz desktop and laptop.

I'll still be using windows 2000, too bad it is starting to see its age when many application stop supporting W2k (picasa, iTune, etc).

Maybe Linux then?

I've seen XP on Flea Bay for under $50.

It also looks like iTunes and picassa can be made to work with Linux. Ubuntu is one of the better distributions.

I have noticed that Vista tends to get the blame for these slow computers, when the real blame is on manufacturer's pushing out so much bloatware and putting only 512 MB of RAM on the machine.

Here's a suggestion, reload the PC from scratch using a Vista disc (it's not illegal as long as you use your key to install it), then add the drivers one-by-one along with any other software you want, and upgrade to at least 1 GB of RAM.

I've got a newer laptop with an AMD Athlon X2 1.8 Ghz processor, with 4 GBs of RAM (originally came with 1 GB), and of course it hauls with no real lag. Of course the 4 GBs of RAM is going to get the credit, but before I upgraded, I disabled all the bloatware and it ran significantly better with 1 GB alone.

Just something to think about.

Originally Posted By: ConfederateTyrant
I have noticed that Vista tends to get the blame for these slow computers, when the real blame is on manufacturer's pushing out so much bloatware and putting only 512 MB of RAM on the machine.

That 512 MB of RAM would run Windows XP just fine. 1 GB would be gravy but there's no urgent need for it in most cases. Vista, on the other hand, needs 1 GB just to run acceptably. That's the point.

News from the field is that W7 looks to be better than Vista (but so is XP) Maybe they are just paying programmers to remove everything they had put in...

My friends uncle, who is in his late 70's bought a new Vista PC (after I told him to get a Mac) and within 4 months he was completely frustrated with it; Nice HP machine, cinematic display, touch screen, wireless mouse 2Gb RAM. The big drawback is that many people do not have the mental adaptability or flexibility to have things changing all the time. This UI on his particular setup was a disaster, stuff disappearing all the time, hidden on scroll bars etc... I should have just set it to classic windows.

Fortunately I was forewarned of his frustration and packed away an Ubuntu 8.04 LTS live CD in my knapsack and when he started complaining about Vista, I offered to show him something different. Within 10 minutes of booting and starting a demo, he said "Load it" I indicated it would be better for me to take the machine for 3 days and load it since I didn't have any other tools sets with me; he agreed and it will be loaded shortly after the new year.

Note for Mystic: the color scanner, printer and touchscreen worked out of the box with Ubuntu; in fact, nothing didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back