Another Timkin Oil Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh great
rolleyes.gif
No viscosities of the oils, no measurements, lack of details. And oh, by the way "These two oils are best-buy them here:rolleyes: ). And they advertise Fram filters. That's enough right there to invalidate this guy in terms of credibility.

Thanks for the info though
cheers.gif

That test machine is not an ASTM test machine. It is an aftermarket tester that salesmen use in the field mostly to show the benefits of an additive like duralube. These additives use sulfur phos or chlorinated parafins and although they look great on that type of tester they will after coming in contact with moisture they will turn into hydrochloric or sulfuric acid that will attack the light metals like your bearings.

There are many sites that market ASTM testers if you do a search for "Timken test rigs" then you can see what a real test rig really is and the accuracy is very high as compared to the type of tester that is talked about above.

Hope to help
Kevin D

Thanks Kevin for your input. I did a search and found Royal Purple's SJ oil did use a ASTM D-2782 test machine. Here is a quote I found on their API SJ oil testing:
"Greater Wear Protection - depends on the protective oil film not breaking down under pressure, preventing sliding surfaces from coming into contact. The ASTM D-2782 "Timken O.K. Load Test" measures an oils ability to prevent wear under load. Other premium motor oil films break down under a 20 lb. Timken load; `RP' carries an 80 lb. Timken load . . . a 400% performance improvement. `RP's super-tough film has extended engine life 300% or more in severe service."

I can't remember which brand but I think Head and Shoulders does pretty good on the timken too.

I think Royal Purple is a really good oil but he says change it when it turns black? That means as soon as I run my diesel to fill up the filter and check oil level I'll have to change it again
smile.gif

[ December 25, 2002, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: hk33ka1 ]

This is great info about diesels. I now know that the CH-4 15w40 keep soot in suspension so the full flow filter and bypass can do it's job. I'm putting more and more info together and now makes even more sense what the oil is trying to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back