Another Tesla crash reported driving under Autopil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
A Tesla Model X, being driven with its Autopilot feature engaged, crashed last week on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, according to a report in the Detroit Free Press.

The driver of the Tesla Model X in the recent crash reportedly had the Autopilot feature engaged while driving on the Pennsylvania Turnpike at the Bedford exit. The car hit a guard rail on the right side of the road, then rebounded to the median barrier, landing on its roof.

Neither the driver or a passenger were injured in the crash.

The Detroit Free Press report notes that Dale Vukovich of the Pennsylvania State Police said he would likely cite the driver of the Model X for the crash.

http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/anothe...bda0?yptr=yahoo

No way I will pay $2000 for this feature, I will not ue this feature even it it is included in the model 4 for free.

Last edited:
They got carried away when they didn't cause any problems with previous testing and pushed the limits... seems someone didn't realize the cost is potentially human lives.

"...changes lanes when the turn signal is engaged?" This is a joke, right?

I believe that if you're in the driver's seat you should be the one driving the car. Cruise control is a good feature on the open road but anything more is asking for trouble.

Some of this stuff sounds like solutions looking for a problem.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Quote:
The Detroit Free Press report notes that Dale Vukovich of the Pennsylvania State Police said he would likely cite the driver of the Model X for the crash.

Given that Telsa are partly in control of the car, there needs to be a test case that firmly puts them in shared responsibility for their actions.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

I believe that if you're in the driver's seat you should be the one driving the car. Cruise control is a good feature on the open road but anything more is asking for trouble.

Some of this stuff sounds like solutions looking for a problem.

Yeah dumb.....

Cruise control is a good feature on the open road but anything more is asking for trouble.

Too true...I got pooh pooed in Jimmy Olson's other thread for suggesting that automation leads to inattentive drivers, and an over-reaction when they DO wake up...

http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/91858/1/DDI_2015_LOUW_et_al.pdf

Quote:
We found that when drivers were not in physical control of the vehicle and had an artificially reduced situation awareness during automated driving, their response to an impending collision after an uncertainty message in critical events involved greater maximum deceleration and higher maximum lateral accelerations, whilst they also maintained a shorter headway with the lead vehicle, when results were compared to manual driving performance. The response profile of drivers to a potential collision scenario wa s, therefore, less controlled and more aggressive immediately after the transition. Given that the uncertainty alarm was not a take-over-request but rather a request to monitor the system and intervene if they deemed necessary, it is difficult to accurately assess response time to an event. Nevertheless, taken together these differences suggest that following automation, drivers have a diminished capacity to respond as they would under normal manual control.

http://www.alertdriving.com/home/fleet-alert-magazine/international/Is-Cruise-Control-Dangerous

Quote:
The study, which measured the effects of cruise control and speed-limiting devices on driver vigilance and behaviour, was released by the French based VINCI Autoroutes Foundation for Responsible Driving.

“The less work the driver has to do, the less alert he will be behind the wheel,” said Bernadette Moreau, General Delegate of the Foundation, which researches hazardous driving behaviours. “It is widely known that these tools are very effective to maintain safe speeds, but call for user savviness and awareness” to be safe.

Driver attentiveness is a hot-button issue worldwide, with various governments pondering legislation that would supplement bans on texting while driving with strict limits, or outright bans, on using internet-enabled features while their vehicle is in motion.

The study indicated that by automating control of the vehicle, there is a decline in drivers’ attention and control, which reduces their ability to respond to hazards.

For example, when cruise control and speed limiters were used, drivers showed reduced ability to merge into traffic due to greater difficulty in modulating vehicle speed. The aids also caused drivers to remain in the overtaking lane for longer periods of time and to move back into the slow lane less often. Drivers straightened their vehicles less often when using these devices, and had substantially slower reaction times, especially in emergencies.

These behaviours grew more pronounced with the duration of travel, especially when using cruise control. Generally, the reduction of alertness and control was greater when using cruise control than with speed limiters, the researchers said.

The research was conducted by the Centre d'Investigations N

Quote:
A Tesla Model X, being driven with its Autopilot feature engaged, crashed last week on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, according to a report in the Detroit Free Press.

The driver of the Tesla Model X in the recent crash reportedly had the Autopilot feature engaged while driving on the Pennsylvania Turnpike at the Bedford exit. The car hit a guard rail on the right side of the road, then rebounded to the median barrier, landing on its roof.

No way I will pay $2000 for this feature, I will not ue this feature even it it is included in the model 4 for free.

I'm right there with you, no way would I pay $2K for it either, or want it if they gave it to me. Obviously it's not ready for prime time, let someone else do the testing. When it's perfected we can talk.

Rick,
I agree...in "manual" (i.e. controlling the vehicle's location AND speed with the controls), when you are uncertain, you hover, lift a little bit, assess, and decide to brake or not.

Quote:

For what, "failure to maintain control" when the all powerful computer was "driving"? The taxpayers are going to take a hit on this.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Quote:

I'm right there with you, no way would I pay $2K for it either, or want it if they gave it to me. Obviously it's not ready for prime time, let someone else do the testing. When it's perfected we can talk.

Hopefully the technology would improve . For those that need it to.

If I ever got a Tesla. Im driving it...

It's not a joke. It works really really well.

Tesla autopilot crashes are a lot like audi 5000 brake/acceleration failures.

You aren't using it correctly.

UD

Originally Posted By: UncleDave

UD

I would never buy a vehicle that had such a feature. I believe that I should have control of the steering wheel and be responsible for where my car goes.

I would not want my car doing something that would lead to a loss of my control without warning especially if something went wrong or just plain failed.

Autopilot is not at fault.

If an airplane crashes is it the autopilot or the pilot at fault??? Yea.

I am not a Tesla Fan, but not a hater either.

I was taught to engage the turn signal BEFORE actually trying to change lanes. I put the blinker on to telegraph my intention to others, inspect the area to my side and rear, and only THEN to actually move. So many times I see people drift into the other lane, then give maybe one blink when they're half-way into it...of course, that's if they bother to signal at all. Blinker use is a lost art, it seems.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Quote:

Given that Telsa are partly in control of the car, there needs to be a test case that firmly puts them in shared responsibility for their actions.

Can police fines Tesla for the accidents caused by Autopilot ? Or NHTSA is the agency with the authority to fine a company making unsafe equipment available to public ?

Originally Posted By: UncleDave

UD

I would never buy a vehicle that had such a feature. I believe that I should have control of the steering wheel and be responsible for where my car goes.

I would not want my car doing something that would lead to a loss of my control without warning especially if something went wrong or just plain failed.

1. AFAIK Tesla autopilot is very good at changing lane when turn signal is engaged, it is much better/safer than average driver.

Many times I saw driver turned on signal then change lane without looking out for traffic, many time they almost cause acident if the other driver didn't brake hard. They did that to me many time times too. I think it is about 10-20% unsafe lane changes.

You don't need to avoid vehicles with this feature, just don't use it if it is standard feature, if it is an option then don't pay for it.

Most likely this autopilot is an option on Model 3 and I will not pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back