Another sad day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, this really has nothing to do with the cars and oil but...

Last year in may i torn my achilles playing soccer - full tear, surgery, recovery, pain, misery. A year after back on the pitch playing like nothing happened. Beautiful day here in Houston, playing sunday morning with my folks, almost finished and bam - horrible pain in the left knee, loud pop and barely walk afterwards. From what i read online and quick diagnosis points towards ACL tear. I can't even explain how mad i am at myself, I literally hate myself. I guess some people are stupid enough that one lesson doesn't teach them (i'm talking about myself). I am devastated. 34yr old and i am done with the soccer forever. I cannot believe it. On top of that, my 3yr old daughter was performing on the stage with her dance class and i missed it.

Of course, i am yet to see surgeon hopefully tomorrow but i'm not expecting any good news.

Sorry folks, sitting alone in the house alone with all the thoughts in my head is just horrific. If anyone had similar experience in the life, please share, it will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
You need to consider another hobby or activity, one less demanding on the body. That said, I hope you get some good news from the doctor and things aren't as bad as you suspect....

Pain in the back of the knee joint is probably ACL. Can be repaired, but aggravating recovery. Best wishes. But, do what you love in life. I've had a few orthopedic surgeries, but keep going knowing the risks.

Yes, back side of the knee is where it hurts..thanks for the kind words

Yes, i'm done with soccer...will look into studying Spanish probably. I wanted to study that language for a long time

I feel ya. 62yrs old, bad arthritic knee, got up on the roof..............................and could barely get back down. Wife/son snipped at me. So no more ladder roof excursions. Can still get under the car (gravity thing) to change oil, but sometimes a heck of a time getting up.

Thank God no problems driving a 6 speed!!!

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
I suggest giving up soccer for something safer. Bomb disposal, maybe.

Or take up running. I don't think you tear ACL or MCL from running but lots of knees do go out. Mine are still good for now.

Dont' get mad at yourself. It happens. As you start to get old, it takes longer for you to heal. Soccer can be demanding and inflict some painful leg injuries.

Get it looked after and you'll be ok.

Bummer that you're so young with these issues, I regret that you might have to seek a much more passive lifestyle if you want to be mobile in your 70's

Originally Posted by parshisa
Yes, i'm done with soccer...will look into studying Spanish probably. I wanted to study that language for a long time

Considering you're in TX that would come in handy. Fwiw, my son is using Duolingo to study German. He says it's pretty good app.

Keep your chin up. ACL surgeries are mostly routine these days. You already know what tough rehab is like, so you have an advantage over the first time victim. Good luck, sport, and hang up those soccer cleats.

Originally Posted by bugeye
Pain in the back of the knee joint is probably ACL. Can be repaired, but aggravating recovery...

Yep. Had surgery to reconstruct the ACL in my left knee back in February. They used part of my hamstring tissue to build a new ACL. In/out of surgery and back home on the couch in a matter of hours, but you're right. Very aggravating recovery. I kept getting super horrible charlie horses in my left inner thigh due to the hamstring thing. Took a few weeks for that to stop. I still don't quite have the range of motion with that leg, but the knee feels better. I didn't do PT long enough. Not sure how anyone with a family and a job can keep up with PT 3-4x per week for months like they want you to.

Complete mid-substance ACL tear to my left knee in 2014 due to hyper extension in a dirt bike incident.

Don't listen to those suggesting quitting soccer or other activities. Most of those who are telling you that, probably aren't active, and probably don't understand that, for those of us who are active, and involved in things like soccer, running, bicycling, motorcycling, etc - that IS our life.

Get on the bike ASAP. I did not have mine repaired - I was told there was no rush getting it fixed. It happened in June and my plan was to have the operation in winter when the weather was bad anyway. Well, I got on the bicycle within a week of the accident, and was back running within a couple of weeks. Since then I've run and biked thousands of miles. A few 25K off road trail races, a few half marathons, a couple of 50K ultramarathons, and ran my first full road marathon in December of last year, and training for a hill marathon (Flying Monkey in Nashville) right now.

Never did feel like I needed the surgery.

I get a little pinching pain now and then - usually when bending my knee under load, such as coming down a flight of stairs carrying heavy stuff. It's probably cartilage damage. But other than that I'm great. Knees don't hurt while running or riding, which is all I can really ask for.

Hate it happened to you, but you will recover and you will play soccer and run again.

Keep your head up, and, like I said, get on that bike! Also maybe use the down time to beef up on some resistance training. Push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, weights, etc.

Appreciate the feedback Sir. Right now, I cannot even walk without crutches, nor can i bend the knee. It has gotten substantially worse since when it happened this morning..not sure how normal it is.

As for the future...don't know, I really love soccer but two major injuries back to back in 2018 and 2019 is just too much. Can't even describe what's on my mind. And now my wife had to deal not only with two minions but with adult kid as well. Hate myself for that....

I destroyed mine back in 1990 - never got it fixed. (350 stairs or ladder rungs to get out of the location I did it was excruciating - using the clutch when I hit peak hour and it cooled down was impossible).

Very occasionally (only twice since I stopped playing squah on it), it will separate and place me on my backside (with tremendous pain)...

As to where you are, yes same here, the swelling and pain increased over 72 hours...that's your bodies "splint" to STOP you moving it and working it. Was hobbling on day 3, and walking pretty OK by around day 7.

I found that rolling over in bed, if the sheet caught my toe, it would twist the knee and feel some separation, but the muscles around it changed over a month, and support is generally fine.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Complete mid-substance ACL tear to my left knee in 2014 due to hyper extension in a dirt bike incident.

Don't listen to those suggesting quitting soccer or other activities. Most of those who are telling you that, probably aren't active, and probably don't understand that, for those of us who are active, and involved in things like soccer, running, bicycling, motorcycling, etc - that IS our life.

Hate it happened to you, but you will recover and you will play soccer and run again.

I don't see anyone advocating a complete eschewing of an active lifestyle. What I do read are people advising him to consider other activities that aren't so hard on the body. There are plenty of things he can do that aren't nearly as hard on the body as soccer. That's prudent advice and something he'll possibly hear from friends, family and his Dr if he hasn't already.

(all those injuries/surgeries can come back to haunt you later in life. I've had to sports related surgeries from my 20's that are now problematic. One was surgery on a knee to which I now have bad arthritis and the other was to two of my fingers that i had to get screws in due to compound fractures and now have arthritis in, it makes it hard/painful at times to grasp things..i ultimately stopped playing due to multiple concussions.. point is when you're young you don't consider what your quality of life is gonna be like 20, 30 or more years down the road)

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by john_pifer

I don't see anyone advocating a complete eschewing of an active lifestyle. What I do read are people advising him to consider other activities that aren't so hard on the body. There are plenty of things he can do that aren't nearly as hard on the body as soccer. That's prudent advice and something he'll possibly hear from friends, family and his Dr if he hasn't already.

(all those injuries/surgeries can come back to haunt you later in life. I've had to sports related surgeries from my 20's that are now problematic. One was surgery on a knee to which I now have bad arthritis and the other was to two of my fingers that i had to get screws in due to compound fractures and now have arthritis in, it makes it hard/painful at times to grasp things..i ultimately stopped playing due to multiple concussions.. point is when you're young you don't consider what your quality of life is gonna be like 20, 30 or more years down the road)

Unfortunately arthritis after an ACL repair about a decade afterwards is pretty common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back