Another ridiculous Castrol commercial.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone seen the most recent Castrol 'sludge' commercial? A bunch of people are driving along, while the announcer talks about sludge, and then suddenly a load of thick, ink-black sludge is dumped on the vehicle they are in. Its kinda gross!

I just think its ridiculous how much Castrol is pushing this anti-sludge thing. Most cars don't produce it these days, so are they just targeting Toyota, Chrysler, and VW turbo drivers?

You don't think they're dissing Pennzoil products do you?
dunno.gif
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by addyguy:
Anyone seen the most recent Castrol 'sludge' commercial? A bunch of people are driving along, while the announcer talks about sludge, and then suddenly a load of thick, ink-black sludge is dumped on the vehicle they are in. Its kinda gross!

I just think its ridiculous how much Castrol is pushing this anti-sludge thing. Most cars don't produce it these days, so are they just targeting Toyota, Chrysler, and VW turbo drivers?

Personally, I'm partial to the one in which the guy is driving his car, presumably sludged, that has a symbolic ship's anchor chained to the rear bumper. As the distressed driver plods down the highway, dragging his anchor along, two Mayberry-style cops laugh together as they clock him on radar, struggling to do 14 mph. I've seen this one probably a dozen times, and I still laugh at it, but hey, that's just me. Yeah, the whole series of ads is silly -- but amusing.
cheers.gif

Then there's the Pennzoil Platinum ad cartoon showing oil drops squeezing through a loose geartrain. Is that supposed to be the oil pump, or what, the transmission?

I don't think these ads are meant for the type of person that hangs around bobistheoilguy. It aimed at guys like a friend of mine that has a new M5 sedan. He does not know where the hood release is and the only thing he knows about service is that the car tells him when to go to the dealer. I'm following him around making sure that he exceeds the maintenance requests by the car, because I'd like to buy it from him. He drives less than 5k a year and I'm waiting.

I must've seen the 'cars dragging anchors and pianos' commercial a couple thousand times.
rolleyes.gif

I like the new commercial (though that won't last too long) but I think Castrol is trying to overcompensate as Castrol GTX had some reputation for sludging 10+ years ago in some applications.

--- Bror Jace

I think the old GTX commercial with the engine reving at a very high RPM and was able to see the 'inside' of the engine and the thermal breakdown occuring would want to make more DIY to buy GTX.

quote:

Originally posted by JAG:
My mom "crusted" up her Mercury Sable engine while using SL dino oil and 5k mile oil changes. And that's just my family. Is SM dino better for this? I bet it is, but not better enough.

Define crust.

No, actually they are targeting everyone. And a lot of people will go for the Castrol, thinking they don't want a clean, non-sludged up engine. These same folks buy P66 (a lot of life happens between empty and full when your injectors and intake system is clean) Tide detergent (Tide clean!), Maybellene clean makeup ( doesn't work..my wife always asks what the marks are on my shirt collar.. Uhh, your makeup Honey!
smile.gif
). There are dozens of others, but the "clean" concept in advertising goes back to oh, say forever, but especially during afternoon soaps for women!

I think it's great that they are pushing the anti-sludge thing. We aren't over the sludge hurdle yet. My brother just got done sludging his 99' BMW by running API SL dino oil in it over what one would expect would be reasonable intervals. It's now getting the royal treatment: Auto-RX. My mom "crusted" up her Mercury Sable engine while using SL dino oil and 5k mile oil changes. And that's just my family. Is SM dino better for this? I bet it is, but not better enough.

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
I must've seen the 'cars dragging anchors and pianos' commercial a couple thousand times.
rolleyes.gif

(...snip...)Bror Jace

I guess you watch a whole lot more TV than I do. . .
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

==============================================

quote:

Originally posted by kcryan:
i thought the anchored pontiac was doing 17 mph??

Well shoot, there goes my credibility. . .
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

Of course the really funny part about the cop clocking the guy with the boat anchor is that they would have read 0 on the radar gun b/c the car is moving at 90° to the officers. (cos 90 = 0)

quote:

Originally posted by benjamming:
Of course the really funny part about the cop clocking the guy with the boat anchor is that they would have read 0 on the radar gun b/c the car is moving at 90° to the officers. (cos 90 = 0)

What -- you expect trigonometry in a TV commercial???
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back