Another review of the F-150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I've written a review or 2 of my 2004 F150, but I wanted to update as to how its been recently. My truck is an early 2004 XLT trim, Supercrew 2WD with the 4.6L V8. Currently about to turn over 152K. Our family has owned since new. Up to about 110K, the truck was flawless, just oil changes, tires, etc. All basic maintenance. The first flaw we had was the throttle position sensor at 112K. Random stalling issues from about 110K-140K, but have stopped recently, God knows why. Transmission went kapoot at 143K ~ $2000 to replace. The thing eats brake pads and rotors like water- Rotors have been done 2 times and pads are around every 10K. Seems like alot but not a major deal. Around 145K the alarm system shorted out, so no alarm, no horn, nothing. I understand that once a car hits higher mileage things are bound to happen, but it seems like things kind of stockpiled after 100K. Other then the problems it is an enjoyable truck to drive, more the adequate power, although without 4x4 driving on ice and snow yesterday sucked. I've got a Dynomax exhaust on it to give it a nice deep tone and a little more power. I love that part of it. All in all, my next car won't be a Ford, I'd like to experience another make, and I'm not overly impressed with Ford's reliability. Thanks for reading!

Surprised the transmission went that soon. How often did you change the ATF? My Ford has been exceptionally good to me. But its the 300-6 and a 5spd. Not much to go wrong.

If it needs brake pads every 10k, your either driving it like you stole it, your pads are of junk quality or the brakes are dragging. Clean and lube all sliding surfaces and check for dragging

Glad to hear that the first 100K went well.
Sorry to hear that the second 100K isn't.
Your experience sounds like a good reason never to buy any vehicle during the first year of a complete redesign.

My F-150 experience has been better. I also have a 2004 with the 4.6, which we purchased new. No major problems at all in 9 years and 171k miles. Brakes are a higher wear item than I'd like, but I get closer to 50k per a set of pads. Of course I do mostly highway driving, so that probably helps. The spark plugs on this engine are real pain. I had the plugs and coils done at about 120K at a shop that I trust. The mechanic prepared me for the possibility of broken plugs falling into the cylinder, etc. but everything went smoothly with no problems.

The worst thing so far: I did experience a problem with a rough idle earlier this year. The only thing that came up was a lean bank 2 code, but the fuel trim values were in spec and everything else looked normal. My mechanic couldn't pinpoint the problem, so he tried moving components from cylinder bank 1 to bank 2 to see if the problem would move. After doing that the rough idle has resolved itself completely, so I attribute the problem to a likely intermittent contact in one of the connectors on the engine wiring harness.

I'd definitely put the F-150 at the top of the list when I'm in the market for a replacement.

If I was to buy a used full size pickup,it would surely be the 04-up F150 with 4.6 (not 5.4 Triton).
Or if I was seriously bucks down,a 97-03 with 4.6 or 4.2 V6 (2wd).I've seen many around here and they hold up well,and run forever.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Care to share your experience with plugs and coils?

Don't even get me started. One thing I forgot, all of the coils have been replaced, but they weren't too bad. The first 6 spark plugs, 45 minutes. The #7 and #8 spark plugs? 2 HOURS. They suck. End of story

Ford coils are terrible. Different Ford engine entirely but number of OE Ford coils replaced? All 6. Number of aftermarket coils replaced? None.
The Airtex/Wells coil that replaced the original failed coil has almost 90,000 miles on it.

As trucks age stuff like that tends to happen, seems like right around 100k is the sweet spot to trade them in.

My 05 with the 5.4 has been trouble free, just routine maintenance that I do myself. Replaced the brake pads myself at around 65,000 and actually could have gone further on the original ones. Now at 87000 on mileage. I have read the horror stories on the plugs, but at the rate I drive now, I will probably be rid of the truck before I reach 100,000 miles. Next truck will be another Ford with the 5.0. I have only driven Ford trucks over the years and will stick with them as I have never had any major problems.

My 2008 has been absolutely flawless. It has the tried and true 4.2 V-6/5 speed manual/2wd drive train. I like to keep things simple. It has been over 10 years now that I've owned a 4x4, just don't need it even here in West Michigan.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Care to share your experience with plugs and coils?

Don't even get me started. One thing I forgot, all of the coils have been replaced, but they weren't too bad. The first 6 spark plugs, 45 minutes. The #7 and #8 spark plugs? 2 HOURS. They suck. End of story

At least it sounds like you did successfully remove and install though?

I worked on an '04 recently that had an interesting homegrown fix for the two plugs it had blown out. The owner broke paint mixing sticks in half (painter's truck), then wedged them between the fuel rail and affected coils to keep everything in place. I really wish I had gotten a picture, it was one of the better impromptu blown plug "fixes" I have seen. The owner was well aware of the problem and what needed to be done to fix it, but he was in no rush as long as it kept moving under its own power.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
As trucks age stuff like that tends to happen, seems like right around 100k is the sweet spot to trade them in.

Since 1972 our fleet has used that as the mileage at which a good truck is just getting broken in well!

We keep them much longer than that, unless they have some sort of 'special' issue that we can't deal with...

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Ford coils are terrible. Different Ford engine entirely but number of OE Ford coils replaced? All 6. Number of aftermarket coils replaced? None.
The Airtex/Wells coil that replaced the original failed coil has almost 90,000 miles on it.

Ford couldn't quite figure out Coil on plug at first. I know a few people with COP Modulars and Duratec Tauruses that carry around a few spare coils becuase they always blow.

I blew on on my dad's F350. Stupid thing didn't set any codes!

Last edited:
I own a 2004 E150 4.6, bought it with 135K now has 175Kk, one of the most reliable vehicles we have owned, knock on wood, I haven't done anything other than regular maintenance. Runs like new, I guess it's hit or miss with these vehicles now days.

Wow, at 163k miles I couldn't be happier with my 04 F-150, although mine has the 5.4 3V.

I bought mine in 08 w/77k miles on it so I don't know what was done before that but the brakes that were on it lasted until 160k. The only non-routine maintenance that I've had to do was a parking brake cable at around 100k, fuel pump control module at 102k, and the spark plugs were a big hassle when changed at 107k as 5 broke. However, it still runs strong and shifts smoothly, and the body and frame are mostly rust free despite being driven and parked outdoors in the rust belt.

I'm hoping to get at least 250k miles out of this truck before I start having to worry about any major repairs. All in all, Ford will be at the top of my list when it comes time to buy a newer truck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back