Another reminder why I always change my own oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by GMBoy
Originally Posted by spasm3
I get my filter tight by hand, then I snug it just a bit with the oil filter wrench.

This is what I do. I think it's the best practice.

Correct! No sense hoping / praying a hand-tightened one doesn't leak. No sense having to crawl back under the vehicle, should it leak.
You / I will need a wrench to take it off months / years later anyways. May-as-well wrench it nearly a quarter-turn - right from the beginning of the OCI.

That little extra quarter-turn will not lock-in the filter. It still can be removed without extra arm strength and without damaging either the filter gasket or the mount.

NO!, you are not supposed to use a wrench on oil filters when installing them on most cars, the firm rubber gasket is what locks the filter into place.
WHEN YOU FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURERS INSTRUCTIONS!

Installing with a wrench can make it extremely difficult to remove after installed even with a wrench because the rubber swells and expands after installation when it contacts the oil film.

We are only talking about 1/2 turn not tightening up tight like a nut . Just what most filter cans say - hand tight + 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Some people don't have the strength and should be using a wrench anyhow.

I'm not talking about as much as 1/2 a turn, i just snug it a bit by feel, not much at all, definitely not 1/2 a turn. Just a touch more than by hand.

I get my filter tight by hand, then I snug it just a bit with the oil filter wrench.

Me too

Me too
coffee2.gif

Many Honda S2000 engines are lost, or the whole car, because the oil filter came lose. Sudden loss of oil pressure and oil squirts on the header.... catastrophic.
This all happend from the combination of the S2000 engine who creates fine vibrations that can loose the Filter and owners and mechanics who dont care about the instructions from Honda.
The handthigt is enough habbit may works most of the times, but not allways.

For me: Only oil filter wrench and torque wrench. Better save than sorry.

Originally Posted by bbhero
What ???

lol.gif

There's nothing wrong with hand tight... As long as you are not a total pansy with like only 50 lbs of grip strength only
lol.gif

lol.gif

Filters are supposed to be hand tight, NEVER install them with a wrench. The longer they are on there with the heat cycles they seem to get tighter over time anyway. I can usually unscrew them by hand with a little "umph" and some decently grippy gloves. I probably put them on too tight anyway even by hand. I know I install most fasteners too tight, a torque wrench is my friend. I can't count the number of bolts I've snapped thinking they just need "a bit more".
blush.gif

I think the premise hand tightening must be used is if you don't follow the manufacturer's directions for amount to turn the oil filter. If you follow the manufacturer's directions as to how much to turn the oil filter, it shouldn't matter whether that is done completely by hand or with the aid of a filter wrench or filter socket cap. I have a dedicated socket cap for my Maxima and my Nissan factory service manual calls to tighten the oil filter 2/3 of a turn past the point of slight resistance. So I screw it in until the gasket touches, mark the high noon 12 o'clock position with a sharpie, line that up with my socket cap also marked accordingly and tighten until I reach 8 o'clock with is 2/3 of the clock dial. I have tried tightening by hand and can easily get it to about 6 or 7 o'clock and probably all the way if I had good access - but the socket cap just makes it easier.

Originally Posted by Silk
I follow the instructions on the can - 3 or 4 turns after the seal contacts....they never come off.
3 or 4 turns after the gasket touches? Can you take a pic of those instructions?

I tighten filters up pretty tight with my hand. Can barely get it off by hand. Works perfect.

Originally Posted by NissanMaxima
...and my Nissan factory service manual calls to tighten the oil filter 2/3 of a turn past the point of slight resistance.

Are you using Nissan oil filters ? If you're using non-Nissan filters, you should follow the instructions that the filter manufacturer gives.

Still no follow-up from the OP in regards to removing the filter.... Please, please, please report back that it was removable by hand or with some slight help from a filter wrench !

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by NissanMaxima
...and my Nissan factory service manual calls to tighten the oil filter 2/3 of a turn past the point of slight resistance.

Are you using Nissan oil filters ? If you're using non-Nissan filters, you should follow the instructions that the filter manufacturer gives.

Yes. I've been using the OEM Nissan filters since I bought it new in 1995. Good point though!

I just bought a couple TG's, 3980 and 3387a and the graphics on both say 3/4-1 turn. Back in the day when I was changing my own I never used a filter with grips on them, I bet that helps. I always had to use the filter strap to tighten mine because my hands were to slick.

The OP must still be struggling with this..... or it's just another dealer-bashing thread.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
The OP must still be struggling with this..... or it's just another dealer-bashing thread.

Bottom line is that dealers are ridiculed because they deserve to be for their questionable and often times dishonest business practices, and it isn't
the odd store, but many of them. They've brought it upon themselves and haven't really done anything as a whole to change that viewpoint.

For the rare exceptions (which I haven't found yet) I'll be happy to praise them.
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back