Another Reason to Check the Bottle at your Quick Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was fueling up yesterday (pager just wouldn't stop this weekend) and notice an outdoor "display" of some off brand motor oil. So I pick it up to look at it. (Now why I didn't remember the name???)

It was SF/CC rated oil. Gee, how old is that rating? I'm sure it's not well suited for anything made in the 1990's. It might be fine your your lawn mower, but at $1.29/quart its no bargain, except by convenience store standards.

Not a single word describing the years model years of cars typically calling for SF/CC rated oils.

To make the day complete, about 10 minutes later I spotted a car with the following bumpersticker.

"Proud Parent of a Used Car Dealer"

That had me ROTFLMAO while travelling down I270.

Just had to share.

TB

SG came out in mid '93 so this oil would be be O.K. except for the shelf life. I'm not saying that I would use it though-even if the shelf life were O.K.
smile.gif

[ September 02, 2003, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Al ]

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
SG came out in mid '93 so this oil would be be O.K. except for the shelf life. I'm not saying that I would use it though-even if the shelf life were O.K.
smile.gif

The way I read it (and correct me if I'm wrong here) is that SG came out in 1988 or 1989 and was the oil specified for 1989 through 1993 vehicles.

And SF came out around 1980.

At least that is the way I read it from this location:

http://api-ep.api.org/industry/index.cfm?bitmask=B3462453-7187-11D5-9F1B0008C7094D05#

That points to a PDF document on the API website and indicates that SF was for cars 1988 and older and SE was for 1979 and older, therefore SF covers 1980 to 1988 model year cars.

At least that is the way it reads to me.

TB

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
My 89 Nissan pickup manual calls for SF oil.

Well, I know a place in the St. Louis area where you can get a few cases of the stuff, LOL

TB

I drove by today, but didn't get out of the car. (I was in the 'hood so I drove by the display.)

The brand name was Pro Force, can't find it with a google search, so is there anyone here that knows about it.

Just out of curiosity, I don't plan on buying any of it any time soon. My personal "strategic reserve" of motor oil is some 60+ quarts...

TB

"SF/CC" Sounds good enough for some down-'n-outer working his way with the ol' lady & kids from Possum Trot, Alabama to California to catch a piece of the Golden State action...

Tony;
Sir, please do not get mad, but, there is something about your last name....hmmmm...I don't know!?!?!?!?
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

j/k

LOL, I actually saw SA rated oil at a little gas station in Podunk USA sometime in the mid 90's.

It tried to sell itself proclaiming it to be " premium virgin non-detergent oil." On the back: "Where a non-detergent oil is called for." How many schlubs with the family wagon loaded to the gils with the wife and the kids would even know the difference??

I think that was the point.......

I wouldn't even put this in my dearly departed '81 Olds Omega!!!

"It might be fine your your lawn mower, but at $1.29/quart its no bargain, except by convenience store standards." My Murray mower gets SL Chevron 10w30!
lol.gif

I actually saw some more yesterday, so I e-mailed myself the details using my two-way text pager...

Pro Force 5W30
SF/CC

J.D. Streett & Co., Inc Maryland Heights, MO 63043

As a guess most people don't go to a convience store to buy replacement oil just supplement oil on cars that burn/consume some oil. If you are just adding a quart of oil to supplement a low level which is probably the case its probably still better than being a quart or two low of older oil in the crankcase. Obviously its better to buy supplement oil that meets standards and at a place like Walmart. My car consumes a quart by 4000 miles so either SuperTech ($0.69) or anything else for $0.99 (typ Chevron Supreme) goes in for the last 1000-1500 miles. I use +/-5k oil change intervals on dino.

Too bad those that can least aford it are the ones paying convience store prices for off brand oil. Of course if they are driving 10 year old cars, why not 10 year old oil?

Note, I always have a quart of Pennzoil in my trunk. Fourtunately I am not adding oil between my 3 month changes.

[ October 01, 2003, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: labman ]

My '94 Honda calls for SG or SH in the engine, but SF or SG in the manual transmission. (This suggests to me that they were concerned about the ZDDP levels allowed in SH oil; they came out with their own MTF shortly thereafter.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back