Another ProTec

After seeing some less than Stella Protects here I thought I would cut one from my stash
20210525_100952.jpg
20210525_101051.jpg
20210525_101659.jpg
20210525_133839.jpg
20210525_134127.jpg

I had been disappointed with Purolator after seeing ruptured filter media on the Wifes Toyota Matrix filter.
These seemed like very reasonably price alternative. I use quite a number of these I pay $1.35 Can each

There was 94 sq inches of media.

I wonder who makes these?

They look like Purolators with the slotted center tube and the elongated holes at the base plate.

The Pro-Tec used to be just a cheap Wix, like the Napa Proselect, but since Mann took over bith Purolator and Wix, they have been consolidating some Wixes to the Purolator design, including most of the cheaper Wix lines (Pro-Tec, Napa Proselect, Microgard, etc)

I wonder who makes these?
Seems I remember they were Wix made? But looks like a Purolator base plate and center tube?
Although the 2 piece baseplate reminds me of Champ.
A pic of the bypass valve would help narrow it down (Puro has a distinctive weird looking spring with a blue plastic poppet valve).

Jobber tier, looks like a decent filter. Pleat spacing/uniformity and louvers look ok. Unfortunately as with any virgin c&p, the proof is in the use, or post use c&p. Nonetheless, a nice c&p.

As for maker, all indications indicate it to be Purolator US made. Not the first time a ProTec posted made by Purolator. It appears M&H decided to switch the jobber ProTec filter to Purolator, at least some. Otoh, 'to this point' Wix labeled/(Napa Gold), XP/Platinum spin on filters still Wix made. That even with a change to louvered tube and switch to dome bypass on some Wix labeled/Napa Gold.

Seeing as topic ProTec uses separate dome bypass, as opposed to combo valve shown on other recently posted ProTec, a plus imo.

Thanks for c&p.

The box says Made by Wix
The by pass valve looks like the same resin board material that circuit boards are made of....
As noted topic is Purolator construction. A decision for this lowest tier filter likely made by M&H corporate. Same Purolator bypass posted many years ago by Z06 in close up pics. Another more recent pic of Puro bypass posted here. Back in 2019 pics of a Napa Pro Select 21348 was posted also showing Purolator construction. Note similarity to date code format to topic filter, topic 10/25/18. The block lettering used is very similar to, same as Motorcraft filters also made by Purolator. I suppose even though obviously Puro construction, one could say an M&H ProTec.

As comparison, AAP now sells a filter known as the "Fram" Drive. While it's clearly Champ Labs construction, 'First Brands' sees fit to call it a Fram. First Brands Fram likely the better description. Those that regularly frequent this forum are able recognize the difference(s) in construction type and manufacturer.

All that said, topic filter does 'look' decent.

Last edited:
Back